Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop won't start.  (Read 5273 times)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop won't start.
« Reply #30 on: 03 July 2021, 19:15:11 »

Arrgh pages of irrelevant posts.

Right before you power it on is the power light pulsating? when you power it on, do any lights flash? Or just the power light before it goes off? Pay attention to caps and NUM lock lights. Did you do any Windows or hp updates recently?
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 July 2021, 21:13:45 »

Right before you power it on is the power light pulsating? when you power it on, do any lights flash? Or just the power light before it goes off? Pay attention to caps and NUM lock lights. Did you do any Windows or hp updates recently?

OOF at it's best!  :y                                                                                                                 ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 July 2021, 21:28:56 »

Irrelevance is subjective. You might learn something about eggs on a thread about cheese, all very interesting  ;D
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 July 2021, 22:11:44 »

Irrelevance is subjective. You might learn something about eggs on a thread about cheese, all very interesting  ;D

So did you buy one of those Lidl Sea Scooters or what?  ???  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 July 2021, 22:31:01 »

I got three, for me, wife and son. Gonna take them to Whitby and short out the wife's 'go' button so it carries her far out to sea, never to be seen again, with a bit of luck.  :)
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 July 2021, 00:16:36 »

I got three, for me, wife and son. Gonna take them to Whitby and short out the wife's 'go' button so it carries her far out to sea, never to be seen again, with a bit of luck.  :)

I'm sure Mrs STEMO is well insured.  Kerrrrching!  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 July 2021, 13:43:22 »

Has it been apart, and fingered, without precautions?

If so, lesson learnt.  Also, never buy consumer oriented laptops, such as HP Pavilion or Dell Inspiron or anything Acer. IE, if PC World sell it, you don't want it. They are designed to last the warranty period only.

Laptops, due to high demand lately, coupled with component shortages, are horrifically expensive currently.

Back to the issue, its unclear from your description above, did you try to start it with the battery out?

Really TB....that is no way to talk about women. ::) ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04 July 2021, 13:48:16 »

Power light illuminates for about one second before going out again.No 'caps lock' lights although I did have a 3 long 2 short a while ago.

No updates from me but it likes to update itself at the most inconvenient times. :-\

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04 July 2021, 17:26:43 »

Ok, try this. Connect power lead, hold Windows key and b down, press power button for 2 to 3 second, then let go of power only, keep the other 2 buttons held down. See if you get a screen up, if not repeat with Windows key and v.

See if either returns a screen.

Report back and I'll try the next stage.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 July 2021, 20:19:06 »

Ok, try this. Connect power lead, hold Windows key and b down, press power button for 2 to 3 second, then let go of power only, keep the other 2 buttons held down. See if you get a screen up, if not repeat with Windows key and v.

See if either returns a screen.

Report back and I'll try the next stage.

Tried both b and v.....no go. No screen. :-\

Thanks for your help thus far.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 July 2021, 00:30:12 »

No problem helping, this forum has been good to me and if I can return the favour, I'm more than happy to.

I'm afraid there isn't many options left. You can try a hard reset, this doesn't lose data. Remove battery and PSU hold power down for 1 minute. Then reinsert battery and then PSU. Try to power on as normal.

Does it have a dedicated graphics chip? If so, odd suggestion, but to the left of the track pad, push down a bit whilst trying to power on.

Also worth sticking a multimeter on the PSU to make sure that isn't the fault.

After that, it's a warranty job.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 July 2021, 00:33:45 »

No problem helping, this forum has been good to me and if I can return the favour, I'm more than happy to.

I'm afraid there isn't many options left. You can try a hard reset, this doesn't lose data. Remove battery and PSU hold power down for 1 minute. Then reinsert battery and then PSU. Try to power on as normal.

Does it have a dedicated graphics chip? If so, odd suggestion, but to the left of the track pad, push down a bit whilst trying to power on.

After that, it's Mrs Opti's job.

Fixed!  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 July 2021, 10:05:39 »

With the recent replacement hard drive it's worth removing that and see if it posts without it .
 just because something is new doesn't mean it isn't faulty  ;)
have you tried removing the RAM DIMMS yet ? in case they have become unseated with impact ?
where any fluids involved prior to failure ? , actually , scratch that , i don't want to know  :D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 July 2021, 13:32:53 »

After that, it's a warranty job.

I have received a  lengthy reply from the HP forum across the pond. The man who modestly refers to himself as 'HP expert' seems to think it is beyond repair based on the information I supplied.

I'll try what you suggest though. :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 July 2021, 15:35:16 »

If it's 2 years old, it's still under warranty. Don't let the supplier of hp tell you otherwise.

The sales of goods act states, an item must be for for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time. 2 years is not responsible for such an item.

Ok, now for suggestions. Remove the battery, don't plug it in, hold the power button down for 10 seconds. Connect to the PSU, then try the power with no battery present.

There are some specific reset methods, but without the exact model number, if be guessing.

Good advice, but that Act was superseded by the Consumers Rights Act 2015 which gives consumers far greater protection.

In Opti's case the Act means he is protected by the "Not Fit For Purpose" ruling, and as deviator correctly states, what is reasonable. A laptop from HP going down so quickly means I would argue strongly that it was not fit for purpose and not to the reasonable standard to be expected from a product of this type.

In any communication now with HP make the following clear:
Under the Consumer Rights Act, your consumer rights may allow you to get faulty goods repaired or replaced for free up to six years after purchase, although the longer you have had the goods the progressively more difficult it will be to show the defect arose as a result of the state of the goods at time of purchase.

If they refuse to help you start legal small claims proceedings against them by first sending them a letter of Legal Intent, that you will be tacking legal action against them.  If no response after 14 days, them commence online Small Claims Court Action.  That usually stirs up big companies enough to  pay you your claim, even if they go to the wire and do that the day before the court hearing! :D ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.