Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crank Sensor Failure  (Read 19194 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Crank Sensor Failure
« Reply #135 on: 02 July 2021, 08:09:57 »

How many of us have TW’s down to 15nm? 8)
Yup 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 02 July 2021, 08:52:03 »

They don't suddenly come loose.

Yeah, I do know that!! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Another unnecessary dig from you >:(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 02 July 2021, 08:56:44 »

I place an adjustable 'thumb screw' band type oil filter wrench round the main oil filter housing / body, positioned against something solid, just to prevent any possibilty of the the housing turning on removal of the filter cap. As with most screw on / spin on filters,  the cap always seems to be a lot tighter on removal than when fitted.

I usually use a large socket to get onto the cap with a check by a torque wrench.  On the last occasion of changing the oil filter I was working in the dark, and wanted to get the job done quickly and  I thought I did not need a torch;  that was my mistake, and when the resistance seemed to tell me it was on fully on, I stopped turning/checking leaving no more than the 2mm gap..  Never done it before, will not do it again!! :-[ :-[ :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 02 July 2021, 08:57:36 »

I place an adjustable 'thumb screw' band type oil filter wrench round the main oil filter housing / body, positioned against something solid, just to prevent any possibilty of the the housing turning on removal of the filter cap. As with most screw on / spin on filters,  the cap always seems to be a lot tighter on removal than when fitted.

In the dozen or so oil changes during the ownership of my V6 Omega I never ever had a problem with removing the cap just using a socket on the end of it ...  :-\

Yep, normally that is all I have had to do. :y

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 02 July 2021, 09:18:32 »

Until you find one that some a hole has fitted without oiling seal and done up with a scaffold bar, usually by some trog at a fast fit centre !!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 02 July 2021, 10:29:16 »

Until you find one that some a hole has fitted without oiling seal and done up with a scaffold bar, usually by some trog at a fast fit centre !!

If they bother to replace it at all. I serviced a neighbour’s Golf for a year or two, but he insisted on getting one done by a local Indy. The next time I did it I asked to see the invoice on which he had been charged for new plugs, and which clearly hadn’t been out for years!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 02 July 2021, 10:45:48 »

I struggled to get mine off when I changed it for the first time. I was primed for that, so had a strap wrench around the casing. I tightened the cap with a torque wrench.

A year and about 9000 miles later, I went through the same procedure which also includes an oil slick.

Replacing the whole apparatus with a spin-on filter changed all of that. Cartridge filters are OK when the housing is an integral part of the engine, and is vertical with the cap at the top. Attaching a casing instead of the spin-on filter is a very odd idea.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 02 July 2021, 10:53:43 »

Replacing the whole apparatus with a spin-on filter changed all of that. Cartridge filters are OK when the housing is an integral part of the engine, and is vertical with the cap at the top. Attaching a casing instead of the spin-on filter is a very odd idea.

but we had cartridge type filters years before we got spin-on filters

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 02 July 2021, 10:59:14 »

but we had cartridge type filters years before we got spin-on filters

Indeed. I've converted A-series engines to the less troublesome spin-ons too.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 02 July 2021, 13:19:39 »

I wouldn't say the paper cartridge filters are troublesome. I simply use a thin band type of filter wrench as a 'belt and braces' approach just in case the filter cap is tighter than I would like, even though it had just been nipped up on fitting. The 2 mins it takes to get the filter wrench out of the drawer, fit and tighten on the housing makes sense to me. The one I did that prompted me to start doing this several years ago was a result of the housing just turning slightly when I undid the cap. I ended up having to sort out the right size of allen key socket, the correct length of small extension, removing and cleaning all surfaces etc and refitting the housing before fittng the new filter and the cap.
So 2 mins to prevent it turning in my opinion is time well spent.
Oh, and I use a flexi head ratchet spanner on the hex head of the cap which I think allows better access, rather than a more bulky ratchet  and socket.
Haven't we gone off topic on a bit of tangent again here...?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 02 July 2021, 13:52:16 »

I wouldn't say the paper cartridge filters are troublesome.

Try that on an A-series; there's an adapter to step the filter out from the block and hang it next to the sump. The cartridge sits in a pressed cup, and is held together with long thin bolt through the centre which is 'sealed' with a couple of O-rings. The bolt twists, the cup distorts and the whole thing leaks like a bastard. The spin-ons are MUCH better; unlike on the v6 where they're just worthwhile.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 02 July 2021, 14:12:56 »

I wouldn't say the paper cartridge filters are troublesome. I simply use a thin band type of filter wrench as a 'belt and braces' approach just in case the filter cap is tighter than I would like, even though it had just been nipped up on fitting. The 2 mins it takes to get the filter wrench out of the drawer, fit and tighten on the housing makes sense to me. The one I did that prompted me to start doing this several years ago was a result of the housing just turning slightly when I undid the cap. I ended up having to sort out the right size of allen key socket, the correct length of small extension, removing and cleaning all surfaces etc and refitting the housing before fittng the new filter and the cap.
So 2 mins to prevent it turning in my opinion is time well spent.
Oh, and I use a flexi head ratchet spanner on the hex head of the cap which I think allows better access, rather than a more bulky ratchet  and socket.
Haven't we gone off topic on a bit of tangent again here...?

;D ;D ;D  Maybe, but usual OOF thread fodder going from one main subject o another which, at least in this case is all related and which for me is very interesting and it is when I learn a lot 8) 8) :y :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 02 July 2021, 14:17:04 »

.........in fact on the subject of both the crank sensor and the filter housing, when I was fitting the former I had kittens when I thought the bolt hole didn't line up with the one on the engine. After a few seconds I realised that the actual bolt hole for the sensor was now hidden by the new one, lining up perfectly, but there is another bolt hole just underneath it.

Is that hole, which appears to be threaded, for a different size of sensor? ??? ???

Just interested to know for future reference. :D ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.