Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: CCTV  (Read 2251 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
CCTV
« on: 20 July 2021, 21:57:23 »

One for the barrack room lawyers.  :)

Can people with CCTV on their house that records the street scene be compelled to share footage with the Police if there is an incident that might have been captured by their camera?  ???

TIA!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: CCTV
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2021, 22:11:07 »

Don't know the answer to that & haven't got CCTV but if I had and it could be used to catch some scrote I'd happily assist the Police.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2021, 22:50:07 »

Thanks Uncle STEMO!  :y

I probably should Google rather than OOFgle.  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2021, 06:50:49 »

A friend of mine is a secuity manager for a company.  He told me that if any CCTV is in operation over any one elses land/property they have to at least let that owner see/know what they are overseeing.  Most people wont have a problem with that.

Not sure what the legal side of it all is.

Drives and gates with cars on CCTV is one thing, looking at houses/windows is a another thing.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2021, 10:56:48 »

Just register with this scheme clicky or similar

display the  signs clicky where they can be seen  :y

that way you comply with all requirements to record the street or public place ,

NOT someone's bathroom window  :D

anyone with a legitimate interest can contact you with regard footage via the scheme  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2021, 11:45:28 »

Just register with this scheme clicky or similar

display the  signs clicky where they can be seen  :y

that way you comply with all requirements to record the street or public place ,

NOT someone's bathroom window  :D

anyone with a legitimate interest can contact you with regard footage via the scheme  :y
You can't see through bathroom windows, Dave, and believe me I've tried. They have funny glass in them.  :(
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2021, 12:13:17 »

One for the barrack room lawyers.  :)

Can people with CCTV on their house that records the street scene be compelled to share footage with the Police if there is an incident that might have been captured by their camera?  ???

TIA!  :)

You can choose to share it with the police, or the police can apply for a court order to compel you to release it. I don't believe the Police have the authority to order you to release it on their own.

It's also a bit iffey having CCTV that covers any more than just your own property. Public spaces are tolerated (hence dash cams), but CCTV over someone else's private property is not allowed without their permission.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2021, 15:20:51 »

Domestic CCTV  is covered by the following which explains the distinction between cameras that only covers your property and when it captures images of other residents property.  The latter falls under the terms of The Data Protection Act 2018 and The General Data Regulation.  Note the various conditions and the right of others (including the police) to view any recorded images:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

;)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2021, 17:06:40 »

Domestic CCTV  is covered by the following which explains the distinction between cameras that only covers your property and when it captures images of other residents property.  The latter falls under the terms of The Data Protection Act 2018 and The General Data Regulation.  Note the various conditions and the right of others (including the police) to view any recorded images:

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

;)

Cynical head on for hypothetical situation :
So, the door knocks and PC Plod asks if my CCTV covers the street, as a serious offence took place and they would really appreciate any camera footage to help them solve the case. I offer them my CCTV footage, as it does cover the street, and they give me a lecture on breach of GDPR. What a strange world we live in.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2021, 17:17:08 »

;)

So, the door knocks and PC Plod asks if my CCTV covers the street, as a serious offence took place and they would really appreciate any camera footage to help them solve the case. I offer them my CCTV footage, as it does cover the street, and they give me a lecture on breach of GDPR. What a strange world we live in.  ;D

That does not actually happen, as covering the street is not a problem from the police point of view.  As long as the footage does not cover the windows of other properties close enough to breach someone's privacy.  Common sense does prevail. ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2021, 17:19:12 »

;)

the scheme i linked above IS data protection act and legal compliant  ;)

I've had the Police round to view my footage a few times (burglary a few doors down and some vandal  or attempted break in down the road  ) I showed them and gave them the footage ,which probably lead to a suspended sentence, slap on the wrist  for someone because the CPS don't want to convict criminals . ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2021, 17:23:11 »

;)

I've had the Police round to view my footage a few times (burglary a few doors down and some vandal  or attempted break in down the road  ) I showed them and gave them the footage ,which probably lead to a suspended sentence, slap on the wrist  for someone because the CPS don't want to convict criminals . ::)

At the very least it gave the police precious evidence that either singly, or with evidence from other crimes, leads to convictions.  CCTV cannot now be underestimated in terms of value to the police and when evidence is required iin court. ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2021, 17:45:18 »

;)

Did you catch the swine who hit your jalopy omega?
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2021, 17:57:59 »

;)

I also have given my CCTV footage to the Police, when the house opposite got burgled. My CCTV doesn't cover the whole house opposite but does show their front garden. When I viewed the footage it showed one of two males walk down my drive and try my front door to see if it was double locked. It was, so the second guy walked down my drive and it was him that spotted the camera, so they both walked off to the house opposite. The Police told me that the reason my footage would have been inadmissible in court was because .......... it wasn't date and time stamped.  ::)
So folks, if you are unfortunate enough to have something happen at 2am Saturday morning, and you've captured it all, including faces on your CCTV, unless your CCTV says it was 2am Saturday morning it's worth diddly squat. As I said, what a strange world we live in.   :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2021, 18:03:03 »

AFAIK, if the footage is clear enough for the Police to want it, then it shouldn't be covering areas not belonging to the owner, for privacy reasons.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2021, 18:05:49 »

All covered in Lizzie's link.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2021, 18:09:08 »

;)

I also have given my CCTV footage to the Police, when the house opposite got burgled. My CCTV doesn't cover the whole house opposite but does show their front garden. When I viewed the footage it showed one of two males walk down my drive and try my front door to see if it was double locked. It was, so the second guy walked down my drive and it was him that spotted the camera, so they both walked off to the house opposite. The Police told me that the reason my footage would have been inadmissible in court was because .......... it wasn't date and time stamped.  ::)
So folks, if you are unfortunate enough to have something happen at 2am Saturday morning, and you've captured it all, including faces on your CCTV, unless your CCTV says it was 2am Saturday morning it's worth diddly squat. As I said, what a strange world we live in.   :)

Maybe, but as the police stated, to be evidence suitable for a court, date and time is essential now to ensure justice is done, not like it was especially before PACE 1984 when 'stitch up's' did happen!.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2021, 18:24:15 »

Did you catch the swine who hit your jalopy omega?
which time  ::)
white vivaro van reversed into it , I had words with him the following week and he was very apologetic .i left it at that.

BMW was a delivery driver ,complained to chinese takeaway who said he "Wok for himselvvvv " but waved the bill next time.

white ford KA/fester thing that turned into the space infront of me too soon catching my bumper  :( they offered to pay to have it painted , i painted it myself .

also got the local bus company to suppy a new wing mirror for Mrs builder's Astra estate ,they did offer to fit it but i said i'd do it .

none of those incidents involved the police or insurance
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.