Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

X20XEV aux belt tensioner

(1/5) > >>

iansoutham:
Has anyone had issues with X20XEV aux belt tensioners losing their tension?

Reason for asking is that I have randomly seen the battery light on full at night intermittently but yesterday drove to Wales and back from Kent and the return journey was in the dark. The light kept changing in luminescence depending on load, wipers, indicators, etc and when the light wa a brighter I thought that maybe I could smell something but at 70mph you won’t hear a belt squealing.

I tried a few things and when I reduced the load by turning the aircon off, the light went out completely after about 5 seconds and stayed out until you turned the aircon back on. This would bring the battery light on about half brightness and then drop down, I suspect as the belt slipped and caught back up with the load.

I am going to check the belt today and probably change it during the week, but was also thinking about the actual tensioner and if it could be the main reason?

iansoutham:
Quick update, have been out to the car and all pulleys spin freely, alternator, aircon (and actual pump part, but just free-wheeling pulley). Aux tension set pulley sounds like the bearing is a little dry but no free-play. The belt has been slipping, there is no dust but the rib teeth are “shiny”.

Is there a minimum force setting for the tensioner?

Doctor Gollum:
Your barking up the wrong tree.

Start with the alternator/battery. Run through Kevin Woods' starting and charging tests and fix whatever is actually broken.  :y

iansoutham:

--- Quote from: Doctor Gollum on 07 November 2021, 08:23:23 ---Your barking up the wrong tree.

Start with the alternator/battery. Run through Kevin Woods' starting and charging tests and fix whatever is actually broken.  :y

--- End quote ---

Should have said (as I knew the at would be the 1st thing someone would say), did that the other month when initially looking for the problem. All good.

Raeturbo:
Try a new belt first just could be stretched /worn out maybe. Put everything on and listen for squealing under the bonnet.  Check Earth.  Could be brushes in the alternator?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version