Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloomberg take on UK's unique way of doing business  (Read 1526 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Bloomberg take on UK's unique way of doing business
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2022, 15:10:48 »

It's The WHO I am concerned about. :-X
They stopped making records years ago.

You should bone up on this topic.

The WHO is essentially funded by the Chinese and Bill Gates. It is totally undemocratic and like the EU on steroids. I'm amazed how much power government(s) are willing to give away. :-X
Probably, but absolutely nothing to do with the link I posted. Get your own thread.

You know as well as me that an OOF thread can can from a Devon cream tea to the female orgasm*.

*Vagina variant.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2022, 15:14:08 »

Read it all, had a couple of extra beers & trying not to worry about it too much .👍
Not really a worrying item, just proof, if we needed it, that Napoleon was right when he said we were a nation of shopkeepers. Always trying to save a few bob today, and letting tomorrow look after itself.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2022, 15:17:31 »

That's why our public services, our railways, our national health service, etc., are in such a bad way. We try to make do with throwing good money after bad, spending as little as possible on sticking plasters, instead of ripping it all up and starting again.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2022, 15:30:18 »

That's why our public services, our railways, our national health service, etc., are in such a bad way. We try to make do with throwing good money after bad, spending as little as possible on sticking plasters, instead of ripping it all up and starting again.
Maybe Vlad will press the reset button for us  :D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2022, 15:36:00 »

You really should get out more, Dave. Wearing your mask and tin foil hat, of course.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2022, 15:49:34 »

You really should get out more, Dave. Wearing your mask and tin foil hat, of course.
Na , it's too "peopley" outside  :o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2022, 16:19:14 »

To say that the US moved on long ago isn't strictly accurate...

Unless by 'moved on' they meant carried on regardless...  :-X

Inside Job and The Big Short, both currently on Netflix, reach fundamentally the same conclusion on the matter...

Nothing changed.
I think they're saying the US moved on from having to support the economy/banks.
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are still federally bankrolled (which is why it is possible to leave university with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans), and the banks that were bailed out never had to repay a penny and all their CEOs/former CEOs either run or consult on all federal financial bodies.

This is also why I have a fairly low opinion of JP Morgan Chase et al.

Not one person responsible for the events that led to the 2008 crash even had to repay their bonuses, let alone bear responsibility, and the only two people actually held accountable were two Credit Suisse traders who hadn't actually done anything related to what really happened.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2022, 16:22:58 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2022, 16:27:53 »

Actually, that's not quite fair...

When the tax payers bailed out AIG, AIG was forced to repay what it owed to (then) Morgan Stanley at 100¢ on the dollar. Using tax payers money.

The architect of that deal? Hank Paulson, George W's Treasury Secretary, former CEO of MorganStanley and one of the founding fathers of the whole cluster fluck  :-X

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2022, 16:42:19 »

Read an article a few years ago about modernising our railways the best way forward would be double decker carriages so more people could be carried, but unfortunately with our dated railway system incorporating tunnels it would be financially impossible.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2022, 17:26:39 »

Read an article a few years ago about modernising our railways the best way forward would be double decker carriages so more people could be carried, but unfortunately with our dated railway system incorporating tunnels it would be financially impossible.

I think every public service system is dated in this country.

The NHS was founded in 1948 by the Attlee led Labour government. It was the future and the envy of the world for 20 years or so. Now it seems hopelessly dated and not fit for the 21st century.

I know it is a sacred cow but I think we need to start again from scratch.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2022, 17:43:48 »

That was in fact tried back in the late 1940’s on the Southern Region, with a full set of the coaches still in use into 1971 when I last saw them at Charing Cross Station.  The trouble was, with our commuter rail traffic were speed is everything, the experiment was deemed a failure as it took long for the passengers to disembark, then embark, due to the double layers of passenger space.

Please see:
https://www.google.com/search?q=southern+region+double+decker+train&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB590GB592&oq=southern+double+passenger&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i546l4.15643j1j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2022, 18:21:57 »

Yeah, Daltry's voice is total shit now too.  :-[

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2022, 19:06:51 »

Yeah, Daltry's voice is total shit now too.  :-[
He is rather OLD  ::)  probably not got the strength to pull back the plunger on the pinball machine anymore  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2022, 19:30:12 »

That was in fact tried back in the late 1940’s on the Southern Region, with a full set of the coaches still in use into 1971 when I last saw them at Charing Cross Station.  The trouble was, with our commuter rail traffic were speed is everything, the experiment was deemed a failure as it took long for the passengers to disembark, then embark, due to the double layers of passenger space.

Please see:
https://www.google.com/search?q=southern+region+double+decker+train&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB590GB592&oq=southern+double+passenger&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0i546l4.15643j1j7&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Not surprised that design didn't catch on. Had one had a noteworthy accident, they would have been scrapped much sooner.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2022, 20:36:11 »

Please see:
Not surprised that design didn't catch on. Had one had a noteworthy accident, they would have been scrapped much sooner.

Indeed, Health & Safety today would never approve them ;D ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.