Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vauxhall special vehicles  (Read 1517 times)

MikeV6

• United Kingdom
    • 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
vauxhall special vehicles
« on: 30 January 2023, 14:57:04 »

How many people on here have a "Specials" I no I'm going to get the stand reply everyone's omega is special I no mine are to me  :D

I would love to own one to add to the collection but do you think they are worth more than a same spec omega or less ?? id be interested in knowing what people thought are.

Thanks
Mike

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: vauxhall special vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2023, 15:35:55 »

They are basically base Omegas with xenons and heavy duty springs, cloth interiors and manual rear windows. Facelift cars only had climate control because it was standard on all facelift Omegas.

They were available across Europe and with 3.0/3.2 V6 petrol and 2.5 DTi diesels (not UK) and manual or auto regardless of engine.

In 2003, a 3.2 V6 Special Estate cost £18,300.

They made very good blank canvases for projects and most of the niceties of the Elite could be retrofitted as the wiring was mostly already fitted from the factory.

Value will be on condition, and what's fitted as most worth buying are preserved plod rather than day to day cars. There are exceptions to this, but expect to pay premiums for these.

When they were readily available, if you knew what you were looking for, they were very good value. But late Omegas were still available via Network Q for several thousand.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2023, 15:59:14 »

As an addendum, Special means Special Order rather than 'special'. The model being the engine type. Everything else was an option above the basic car. So, in the UK, they were almost all petrol 3.0/3.2 so were V6 Special.

For the Vectrum, they were Special (2.0T or 1.9/2.0 diesel), or V6 Special (3.2/2.8T petrol or 3.0 diesel).

Nowadays such models are Authorities.

MikeV6

• United Kingdom
    • 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2023, 17:00:15 »

Some good info there thanks  :y

Wonder if anyone has one for sale  ::)

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2023, 19:21:04 »

I have two, and I would compare them as like any work vehicle, that has maybe 2-3 drivers per shift and possibly on the road for 24 hours depending on policing requirements. They are in general ragged and abused, and yes it can be argued that they are regularly maintained to the highest standard....hmm ::) I have one car a 3.2 that had 40k on the clock which spent most of its 3 years sitting outside London embassies. Question was why dispose of such a low mileage car? simples, the transmission was shagged and required replacement. The second car a 3.0, had 86k and was in a scrapyard with a goosed engine. Should have walked away but the actual overall body wasn't to bad, so it got saved....So at three I've now stopped taking in any more knackered Omegas into the retirement home, ex police or otherwise, just need the check up for the neck up to complete the picture.....buyer beware!

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2023, 19:30:24 »

A sensible alternative to buying ex plod  ::) or "special" would be to buy the MANUAL V6 with Long MOT that's in really good nick and NOT been launched over every speed hump in the district  :-X

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2023, 21:17:43 »

Agree 100%.... you've only got to watch traffic cops or police interceptors, to see what the cars are expected to do day or night :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2023, 22:07:38 »

Well maintained they will do it day in, day out for well over 250k miles on the original drive train.

So they weren't a bad purchase option straight out of service, but I would question the merits of buying one 13/14 years later.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2023, 08:23:33 »

A sensible alternative to buying ex plod  ::) or "special" would be to buy the MANUAL V6 with Long MOT that's in really good nick and NOT been launched over every speed hump in the district  :-X
That rules out all the retail Omegas I've owned then ;D

Not that I launch over speed bumps, but those pesky little bridges are too much effort to slow down for....
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2023, 13:13:05 »

Indeed.  Now where on earth would you find one of those?   ;) 

Try the for sale section.  £850 before it gets scrapped.  Still has 1/3rd tank super unleaded in the tank.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2023, 17:36:02 »

Indeed.  Now where on earth would you find one of those?   ;) 

Try the for sale section.  £850 before it gets scrapped.  Still has 1/3rd tank super unleaded in the tank.
Yes , I got distracted and forgot to put the link  :-[

very nice Manual 2.6 Elite for sale cheap clicky

MikeV6

• United Kingdom
    • 3.0 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2023, 12:48:48 »

Its not the fact of own a Manual V6 as I own 8 already ;D, its more the fact of owning that's something a little SPECIAL  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.