Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.6 V6 Intermittent Starting and Rough Running  (Read 1433 times)

Fuse

• Kent
    • Fiat Tipo Estate
    • View Profile
2.6 V6 Intermittent Starting and Rough Running
« on: 02 March 2023, 00:07:14 »

2.6 V6 had been standing for a couple of months and wouldn't start. Battery charge fine, turned over fine but dead. Looking on OOF immediate answer was crank sensor - changed for Bosch unit (Lucas unit present) and lo it started.

Since then it has messed about - rough running, not starting sometimes - generally not a great confidence booster.

After the last episode following codes read

P0500-4 Vehicle speed sensor malfunction
P0500-C Vehicle speed sensor malfunction
P0300-1 Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0306-1 Cylinder 6 misfire detected
P1612-0

Any wise words where to start looking next? Any connectors that may need breaking and cleaning and if so where are they? Could the ECU be faulty?

Any opinions welcome as even my Fiats didn't behave as badly as this V6!!

John.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 V6 Intermittent Starting and Rough Running
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2023, 05:45:56 »

Could be worth checking for oil in the plug wells as a start, pointing to leaky rocker covers, then requiring a full clean of the breather system and new rocker gaskets etc.

How old is fuel in it? A fuel filter change wouldn't go amiss if you don't know when it was last changed. Also worth clearing the fault codes and seeing what comes up again, as those could be old stored codes. Disconnect battery for a bit to clear them.

« Last Edit: 02 March 2023, 05:48:13 by grifter »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2023, 07:34:36 »

I'd be investigating the cylinder6 misfire before doing anything else. Which probably means fixing the leaking cam cover gaskets, water dripping from the scuttle and replacing the coil pack damaged by those.

Fuse

• Kent
    • Fiat Tipo Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2023, 18:30:11 »

Thanks for the input. At last got a dry and warmish day to investigate (my friend has a garage but like most people it is full of other stuff and no room for the car!!).

Cylinder 6 spark plug well full of oil with a sub layer of water. Coil packs both sides showing signs of rust.

So following the superb guides in the How To section cam covers are off on the passenger side. All bolts were no more than finger tight. Replaced the cover washers with o rings (they were flat and hard!) but ran out of time to do more.

So while I'm in there it looks like new plugs and coil packs!!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2023, 10:33:07 »

Welcome to the Omega :D

Make sure that you thoroughly clean the breathers as per that guide too, otherwise you will be doing the job again by the end of the year.

Presumably you have fitted/will be fitting new camcover gaskets as part of the job...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Fuse

• Kent
    • Fiat Tipo Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2023, 11:57:15 »

Well that was fun!!

Cleaned out plug wells on 246 bank (135 clean as a whistle), replaced gaskets, plugs and coil packs, cleaned out breathers as advised and behold it runs a treat!

Sorted out the windscreen plastic strip so it now attaches to the screen but the foam had rotted away. Rather than put silicon down I followed a previous post and made a deflector plate over the back right. I have read the threads about scuttle leaks and can see the issue but when it's getting late and you are working on the drive an effective engineering solution always wins!!

Only query now is EML is on with P1110-4 Intake manifold 1 open. I'm sure I plugged everything back in but are there any pictures of where this item is?

Look forward to any advice!!

Fuse.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2023, 13:33:50 »

Is that the rear multiram?

Double check that you have, a) plugged it in fully, and b) haven't trapped a wire down at the back of the plenum.

Also just double check that you have fully seated any wiring that you may have disturbed.

No foam is usually enough of a solution to the water issue as the foam tends to hold water keeping the area damp as well as dripping onto the back of the 246 coil pack or DIS pack on the older cars. No foam and the water has nowhere to collect and just runs off down the firewall, and that assumes that it makes it past the scuttle  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.