Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Police for sale?  (Read 2309 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Police for sale?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2024, 11:43:36 »

Cheaper than fixing the car security perhaps? ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2024, 15:41:16 »

Arguably a token waste of time then because it doesn't stop the cars from being pinched in the first place. Notwithstanding the principle of the scheme.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2024, 23:23:33 »

This is a very valid point .
A friend of mine had his 9 month old MB E63 AMG stolen from his house in Guildford recently . Two other cars were stolen from the same street that night with an estimated value of £300 K .
None were ever traced or recovered .
He couldn't understand it as it was locked and the fob was safely in the house and was rather perplexed that such a valuable and secure vehicle ( with a set of expensive golf clubs inside ) could be spirited away seemingly with ease .
Keyless entry .......
When he asked what to do to prevent a repeat of the theft when he got his replacement he was advised by the Police to purchase a lead lined box to keep the fob in to prevent the thieves from intercepting the transmission between the car and fob.
FFS . ::)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2024, 23:30:25 »

Back in the 80s and 90s I had nice new cars that frequently got nicked

For quite some time I've had a car buying policy of NOT having cars that anyone would want to nick. Omegas, Volvos etc

It works  :y
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2024, 09:45:57 »

When he asked what to do to prevent a repeat of the theft when he got his replacement he was advised by the Police to purchase a lead lined box to keep the fob in to prevent the thieves from intercepting the transmission between the car and fob.

Exceedingly poor advice IMO. SWMBO's former boss had his three day old cayenne turbo nicked off his drive in a "posh" bit of Birmingham. he had done as suggested and secured the keyless entry fob. The thieves used an axe to gain entry to his home and threatened his family for the keys. As far as I'm concerned they can have the car off the drive, its insured for a reason.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2024, 10:26:51 »

Where I keep my keys acts like a faraday cage.  So no additional hassle for me.  Not that our 2 are new enough to attract those types of gangs.

Only one is keyless entry, but both are keyless start, so presumably both vulnerable to relay attacks (once physical entry acquired to the non keyless entry one).

But I don't really consider this any more vulnerable than any other system:
Keys only - easily picked or jimmied.
Rolling code remote fob - long broken and decrypted on most systems, including VAG and GM
Transponder immobilisation - still vulnerable to replay attacks

Also, immobilisation was never secure - a few years ago when ze Germans were desirable, the crocks just carried around engine ECUs with the immobiliser programmed out.

It's always going to be a game of cat & mouse between the manufacturers* and the shitheads of society.  And as Viral Jim says, there are always ways of getting into a car and driving it away which involve personal safety issues.

*well, the OE manufacturers of the security systems, rather than the car manufacturers who I suspect just build the software on the OE hardware, and that software is probably more for integration than core security?
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2024, 11:42:01 »

Exceedingly poor advice IMO. SWMBO's former boss had his three day old cayenne turbo nicked off his drive in a "posh" bit of Birmingham. he had done as suggested and secured the keyless entry fob. The thieves used an axe to gain entry to his home and threatened his family for the keys. As far as I'm concerned they can have the car off the drive, its insured for a reason.
https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2024-02-03/mum-left-traumatised-after-gang-in-balaclavas-break-into-home
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2024, 13:36:01 »

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2024-02-03/mum-left-traumatised-after-gang-in-balaclavas-break-into-home
And this is the problem.  Police ain't interested any more.  What do law abiding people do, allow anyone to take their possessions?  Then we all grumble about how car and house insurance has skyrocketed.

But at least the ol' bill are catching more speeding motorists, or those using phones, without interrupting the doughnut runs.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2024, 16:33:12 »

Shit reporting, JLR have not paid the Police anything, they have funded Police analysts to understand car thefts better and also paid £15M for software updates to close a security issue.

I doubt Adrian will get an invite back to no 10 anytime soon as he told them they are failing the UK with a lack of Police to address the rising crimes in the UK...........and he is pretty spot on with that one.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2024, 16:41:42 »

……………..
Only one is keyless entry, but both are keyless start, so presumably both vulnerable to relay attacks ………….

Although both of mine are keyless, I personally can’t see any benefit from them being keyless. I unlock the door, chuck the key fob in to the double cup holder and off I go. If I grab a drink en-route  I then have to move the key somewhere else.
I can’t leave the key in my pocket as it doesn’t take much pressure to activate the powered tailgate from the key fob.  ::)
My earlier BMW’s had a slot in the dash, which was not only an immobiliser link but also somewhere to park the key.   :y
Some things are just unnecessary.  ::)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2024, 17:49:47 »

……………..
Only one is keyless entry, but both are keyless start, so presumably both vulnerable to relay attacks ………….

Although both of mine are keyless, I personally can’t see any benefit from them being keyless. I unlock the door, chuck the key fob in to the double cup holder and off I go. If I grab a drink en-route  I then have to move the key somewhere else.
I can’t leave the key in my pocket as it doesn’t take much pressure to activate the powered tailgate from the key fob.  ::)
My earlier BMW’s had a slot in the dash, which was not only an immobiliser link but also somewhere to park the key.   :y
Some things are just unnecessary.  ::)
Like many other gimmicks, I've actually got quite used to it, and would miss not having it now.  Key stays in pocket all day.

It annoys me her car doesn't automatically unlock when I go to get in ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.