Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do about a 2.2 petrol exhaust?  (Read 1721 times)

cd 2.2

What to do about a 2.2 petrol exhaust?
« on: 24 February 2014, 15:06:35 »

I'm aware that my exhaust has several minor leaks (4 to be exact), The previous owner had left this as a problem for 3 years when it was first advised on the m.o.t and never bothered to fix the problem. This annoys me as I can hear it, friends and family don't seem to notice it but it certainly is noticeable to me.
Now the conundrum I have is what to do about it?? I haven't looked under the car at it yet so I'm unsure of it's overall condition, however I do know that it's a very old system and likely to be full of holes  ::)
I have hard rumour that you can fit the 2.0 system to the 2.2. Has anyone had any experience of doing this and does it make the car loud?
I am struggling to find good quality oem replacement systems and don't want to fit a cheap and nasty one or a second hand one. Does anyone have a brand that they can recommend that retains the twin centre boxes?
The other half on the other hand .... Well, she want's it to be loud when you accelerate so I suppose a nice custom stainless could be an option depending on whether it will affect the economy etc, etc.

What are other peoples thoughts on the matter??

Raymienets

• Glasgow
    • 2.2 cd & 2.6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: What to do about a 2.2 petrol exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2014, 15:15:29 »

I replaced mine a couple of year ago with an after market and it has been fine. no excess noise. only problem I remember was that one or 2 studs snapped and were murder to replace.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2014, 15:24:25 »

I'm aware that my exhaust has several minor leaks (4 to be exact), The previous owner had left this as a problem for 3 years when it was first advised on the m.o.t and never bothered to fix the problem. This annoys me as I can hear it, friends and family don't seem to notice it but it certainly is noticeable to me.
Now the conundrum I have is what to do about it?? I haven't looked under the car at it yet so I'm unsure of it's overall condition, however I do know that it's a very old system and likely to be full of holes  ::)
I have hard rumour that you can fit the 2.0 system to the 2.2. Has anyone had any experience of doing this and does it make the car loud?I am struggling to find good quality oem replacement systems and don't want to fit a cheap and nasty one or a second hand one. Does anyone have a brand that they can recommend that retains the twin centre boxes?
The other half on the other hand .... Well, she want's it to be loud when you accelerate so I suppose a nice custom stainless could be an option depending on whether it will affect the economy etc, etc.

What are other peoples thoughts on the matter??
Yes.
No
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2014, 16:14:12 »

I have a 2.0 Eternal system on my 2.2, still got the genuine cat. It's silent  :y

So much less engine noise that my 3.2 as well, what made a real difference was a new exhaust flexi. Old one blew up in a big way, Master (DTM) welded me a new one in, it's been super silent since  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2014, 17:13:13 »

Eternal do a nice quiet exhaust that will fit the 2.2, although you may need a (chavvy) trim piece to lengthen the tail pipe just clear of bumper.

Cheap too, and easy to fit. Avoid Eternal's "fitting kit" though, its shit, so buy any needed fittings locally.
Grumpy old man

sjr47

« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2014, 17:19:11 »

Some people have spoken highly of exhausts imported from Poland by Premium cars seem to fit well which is the main problem with some aftermarket exhausts try this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Vauxhall-Omega-B-2-2-16V-Saloon-Silencer-Exhaust-System-387-/251165535754?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7aa1ee0a

cd 2.2

« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2014, 17:58:14 »

Some people have spoken highly of exhausts imported from Poland by Premium cars seem to fit well which is the main problem with some aftermarket exhausts try this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Vauxhall-Omega-B-2-2-16V-Saloon-Silencer-Exhaust-System-387-/251165535754?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a7aa1ee0a
Wow £112 for a full exhaust ... beats £360 for a stainless custom one! It would be nice to get an exhaust that fits well out of the box so to speak  ;D
Thanks guys for the input, appreciated as always  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2014, 18:03:58 »

The Eternal one will fit (with comments about trim piece needed heeded), and should come in a lot cheaper. Its of good quality, and is quiet.

A few members have one on their 2.0/2.2s, so its a known quantity. I have the v6 version on both of my Omegas, one of them has been on a fair while now....
Grumpy old man

sjr47

« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2014, 18:36:39 »

Wow £112 for a full exhaust ... beats £360 for a stainless custom one! It would be nice to get an exhaust that fits well out of the box so to speak  ;D
Thanks guys for the input, appreciated as always  :y
You can get it even cheaper if you make a offer !!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2014, 20:38:17 »

£112 for 2.0 exhaust?

Expensive! Eternal last time I bought was around £75.

It's not an Estate is it? I've got a brand new 2.0 Estate exhaust in my parents garage!

DaveA

• Intermediate Member
  • Leicestershire
    • Insignia CDTI SE 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 February 2014, 21:20:28 »

I fitted Eternal on mine best part of three years ago, quite, and still going strong. As said stay away from their fitting kits.

PS Both of my studs sheared  >:(   >:(
« Last Edit: 24 February 2014, 21:26:18 by DaveA »
Regards
    Dave

cd 2.2

« Reply #11 on: 24 February 2014, 21:50:42 »

£112 for 2.0 exhaust?

Expensive! Eternal last time I bought was around £75.

It's not an Estate is it? I've got a brand new 2.0 Estate exhaust in my parents garage!

No it's a saloon, and the price is for the 2 box system for a 2.2

sjr47

« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2014, 03:37:32 »

Eternal no longer list Omega exhausts online dunno exactly why or if its just a temporary fault or a corporate decision, probably discontinued due to the relative few units left on the road & now 11 + old ? shame .

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2014, 06:36:06 »

Eternal no longer list Omega exhausts online dunno exactly why or if its just a temporary fault or a corporate decision, probably discontinued due to the relative few units left on the road & now 11 + old ? shame .
Shame I say too. I wanted a new back box for my 1999 2.0 estate, not listed, e-mailed query to Jason and he advised me to buy one from e-bay France. Good solution. In January I needed a new back box for my 3.2 saloon, Jason could not help. Eventually help from Andy H got me a 3.0 box which fitted. As you say, shrinking market.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2014, 10:26:55 »

Shame I say too. I wanted a new back box for my 1999 2.0 estate, not listed, e-mailed query to Jason and he advised me to buy one from e-bay France. Good solution. In January I needed a new back box for my 3.2 saloon, Jason could not help. Eventually help from Andy H got me a 3.0 box which fitted. As you say, shrinking market.

Sure I cannot tempt you with a 2.0 cat back exhaust? Brand new?  :D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.