Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Courier service  (Read 1958 times)

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
  • pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
Courier service
« on: 05 May 2012, 00:54:07 »

Following on from blackviper90210's request http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=102569.0, & assuming no-one can see a security issue of any kind, is this something we could set up or use?

I, like a few members on here do some longish random journeys for work. This weekend for example, I'm going to Slough from Essex for a few hours, & back the same day, in a sprinter with only half a load.

If anyone had a part to pick up or deliver that is expensive or difficult to post (bumper, glass etc), I would be happy to make a small detour at either end to help another oofer out.

If we had a section/calendar where people could post up-coming journeys, other members could look up what people are up to without having to trawl members locations.

It would also mean (if not urgent) that I could pick up from Essex, drop to another member in Berkshire, where they could then deliver to somewhere else a week later if the Berks member was headed that way.

I know a lot of members meet on regular occasions for stuff, and feel this may be useful?

Anybody see benefits/pitfalls of this?

Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

05omegav6

Re: Courier service
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2012, 02:05:41 »

Interesting idea :y anyvans.com with an OOF twist 8)

I for one am based near Gatwick and regularly go to the New Forest and Heathrow :y

MrMoffat

• Intermediate Member
  • Lincs East Coast
  • C5CEA2C4801C
    • Mondeo TXS-Jaguar XJ40x2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2012, 08:27:27 »

An excellent idea  :y could be very helpful to some members on here  :y
Mike.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2012, 10:35:48 »

Been done many times before over the years

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2012, 10:48:00 »

Where?
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2012, 10:50:46 »

I think the method previously used whereby members post if there is a way to get an item from A to B works reasonably well.

Not sure what is suggested, this software can handle, and I don't want to make any extra work for our poor admins  :-[
Grumpy old man

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2012, 11:02:20 »

Must admit, it was the first post i've seen of this kind, just thought maybe a section or sub-topic to make it easier to search or find.

Appreciate your point tho

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2012, 11:03:31 »

Let alone the hampsters  ::)

I wasn't suggesting actually incorporating the mentioned site into OOF, merely visualising the concept :y

Not sure what else can be done beyond either "I'm off to X in a weeks' time" or " I need A picked up from X and got to Y, is anyone passing by?" :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2012, 11:09:41 »

Where?

Here, countless times....

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2012, 11:37:43 »

Where?

Here, countless times....

As just a post or?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2012, 11:39:35 »

I have taken stuff up and down the country whilst on my travels.  I generally post in gendiss that I'm off to somewhere from wherever on soandso date if anyone wants biggish stuff transported.  I did a folded up bike trailer for Chrisgixer once, as I recall!   ;D

Dont think a seperate section is required TBH.  All thats needed is a post in gendiss and if anyone can help for all/part of the way all thats needed is for them to pitch in at the relevant part of the journey and post it up on the thread.

That way, current/frequent OOF'ers will see whats required and if they can help, no doubt they will.

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2012, 11:46:30 »

Oh well, just a thought  :-X

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2012, 12:46:41 »

Another forum I'm on has a sticky thread where folks can post there requests & get offers of help - that seems to work quite well, and would be easy enough to do here with the forum software.. heck, some of our admins manage to make sticky posts accidentally all the time ;) ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2012, 10:01:33 »

Another forum I'm on has a sticky thread where folks can post there requests & get offers of help - that seems to work quite well, and would be easy enough to do here with the forum software.. heck, some of our admins manage to make sticky posts accidentally all the time ;) ;D
Trouble with that sort of sticky, is it needs a lot of maintenance, else it grows too long, people start replying to stuff that isn't relevant any more etc.

If it was a separate section, that may mean people who could help may miss the post, as not everyone looks in all sections.

What we have now, as H21 said, seems to work as far as I can see. Not ideal, but functional.

Always happy to hear ideas, so if you have any ideas how it could be better done, yell it out :y
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.