Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG Tank  (Read 5887 times)

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
  • pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
LPG Tank
« on: 12 May 2012, 00:47:03 »

Have been speaking to Toby at Independant Autogas (very friendly & discount for oofers :y), and he says the vertical toroidal (spare wheel) tank for the mig is only about 48L. Bit smaller than I was hoping for as can't afford to lose boot space by fitting a torpedo tank.

Anyone know of a bigger one that'll fit in the space?

Or alternatively, are they metal or plastic? I have an excellent engineering guy (who could make a whole mig shell given time & budget) who would be up to the metal job, custom size & shape to fit, but would assume it needs to be certified/pressure tested by someone before use?

Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: LPG Tank
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2012, 01:03:39 »

Pleased to hear you've been in touch with Toby... He seems to do a reasonable job ;)

The Vertical Toroidal is small, as he said... Could you not get away with the cylinder? How often do you actually fill the boot? ???

As for a custom tank... Can be done but it would need certifying  ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Guinney1971

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottinghamshire
    • Renault Grand Scenic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2012, 01:07:31 »

I've got a torodial in my estate, and it is 48L - I spoke to the LPG place when the serviced my system, and they said that a bigger tank, which would give me at a push another 10 litres, would cost about £500 to buy and install - which isnt far off what I paid for the car, so I'm gonna leave it as is.
Claire & Phill
Renault Grand Scenic 'Maxim' 1.9dCi 120

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2012, 01:32:25 »

Pleased to hear you've been in touch with Toby... He seems to do a reasonable job ;)

The Vertical Toroidal is small, as he said... Could you not get away with the cylinder? How often do you actually fill the boot? ???

As for a custom tank... Can be done but it would need certifying  ::)

The reason I am on my 4th mig is mainly the boot size, can't afford to run a van as well & need the seats. Until I can afford the £25k Vito sport with 5 seats & a load space the boot is always full  :(

How would I go about getting it certified?
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2012, 01:33:23 »

I've got a torodial in my estate, and it is 48L - I spoke to the LPG place when the serviced my system, and they said that a bigger tank, which would give me at a push another 10 litres, would cost about £500 to buy and install - which isnt far off what I paid for the car, so I'm gonna leave it as is.

58 litres is better, who was that?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2012, 01:47:26 »

You can get a 76/7L tank in an estate with a little modification to the boot floor which gives 62-4L useable space ;)

A saloon, however, is limited because of where it goes ;)

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2012, 02:11:54 »

Hence the idea of a custom.

If it is reasonably priced, may do more than one & have tested all at once.....if there's the interest that is  :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2012, 08:06:36 »

A custom tank? Can't see that passing a safety check somehow, although I wanted to adapt an estate toroidal 4 hole to fit in an upright position in the wheel well by cutting off the lugs that bolt to the floor, the valves would never work in an upright from a lay flat, and a customised tank would never pass a safety check. They also have to have a certificate of manufacture iirc...?
Single hole upright valves are too unreliable IME. Flow problems, switch back problems, rattling float valve, awkward access and awkward fitting with no real fitting kit for the tank itself. Not to mention the hopeless range.

Whatever through space is needed occasionally, is outweighed by the continual need for cheap fuel and decent range. If there's a constant need for continual use of the through space, then get an Estate. It will be cheaper than a tested approved hand made tank.

IMO, fit a cylinder across the back seats and get a roof box.

Ps, what ever size tank Lazydocker has? ...I tried to fit a similar sized upright in the wheel well with help from tinley tech. It doesn't fit! But, with a bit of battering of the wheel well base I reckon it could be made to fit. It will fit in the space as is I'm fairly sure, the problem is getting it in, as the boot surround is in the way of it tilting and dropping in. Force the well floor over and it might give the half inch of clearance needed. "might" ! :)

Guinney1971

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottinghamshire
    • Renault Grand Scenic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2012, 08:29:17 »

That was from LPG Conversions in Heanor, Derbyshire.  Peter at Fox's in Derby who did our Avantime said the same (no longer does LPG).

Both did say that it could be done though with major modification to the spare wheel well and making the boot floor abit higher (ie making one out of mdf to go between the carpet and floor).
Claire & Phill

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2012, 09:00:22 »

That was from LPG Conversions in Heanor, Derbyshire.  Peter at Fox's in Derby who did our Avantime said the same (no longer does LPG).

Both did say that it could be done though with major modification to the spare wheel well and making the boot floor abit higher (ie making one out of mdf to go between the carpet and floor).

Not too much modification done to my wheel well, although there was some and I did have to get the cutting disc out, but I have raised the boot floor by about 3" ;) Was well worth it though, to get the decent range, and if I can get mine to look anything like cliffob's false floor does I'll be over the moon :y I really must get around to re-fitting the boot carpet and finishing that off, it's only been a year :-[ :-[

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2012, 12:24:31 »

Looks like small tank or nowt then.

As I say, can't get a fag paper in the boot, and it's like that 24/7, roof box isn't secure enough & and estate gives not much more room if the load cover is used, which it would need to be to hide contents. Plus most stuff is too heavy to lift into a roof box, hence the dead self-levelling shock on my previous mig. Losing 3" of floor is obviously not an option either

Can't see an issue with getting a custom made tank tested if I could work out where to take it for that, and as I intend to keep the car for at least 4 years (fingers crossed) any extra expense would be well recouped.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2012, 13:04:45 »

Would it be possible to replace/relocate the petrol tank with a smaller one (say 20ltrs), leaving room for a second doughnut tank slung underneath?  ??? :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Guinney1971

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottinghamshire
    • Renault Grand Scenic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2012, 13:37:51 »

we've been toying with this idea with the DeLoreans, as they have a big petrol tank in the front frame section, and we were toying the idea of replacing that with an LPG tank of some description, and then having a smaller petrol tank in the spare wheel well.

We've got a twin tank set up on our diesel Cavalier, the main fuel tank runs bio fuel, and then we've got an old marine fuel tank in the spare wheel well which has diesel in it, and its all controlled with a switch over valve  and stuff under the bonnet (I'll show JamesCDXV6 later).
Claire & Phill

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2012, 15:02:12 »

Not too much modification done to my wheel well, although there was some and I did have to get the cutting disc out, but I have raised the boot floor by about 3" ;) Was well worth it though, to get the decent range, and if I can get mine to look anything like cliffob's false floor does I'll be over the moon :y I really must get around to re-fitting the boot carpet and finishing that off, it's only been a year :-[ :-[

I'll second that  :y :y

Met Cliff and his missus up at Stamford Bridge last year so I could get a look and took a few pickys
Absolute brillant job  :y :y

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2012, 16:06:26 »

Yes, I went through the same process. 48L = 38L useable space. Too small a range for something like the Omega. Filling with LPG is not as quick or enjoyable as petrol. So you dont want to be doing it too often, ie every 150 miles.

Problem with a custom tank is that it will need 2 inspections. On the bench and then on the car if I am not mistaken. Quite expensive.

I think Tinley tech do a replacement tank which reduces petrol capacity and gives about 60L lpg capacity. None listed for the omega, but I suppose they could fabricate one with the right spec. Again £300+ cost.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.