Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: painting brake discs  (Read 2924 times)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: painting brake discs
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2014, 20:13:03 »

Painting brake discs.  ;D ;D ;D

They don't cost a lot - £100 an axle every 5 years @ 10,000 a year.  Really?

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2014, 20:15:55 »

Yes really! The rust breaks off in chunks and can catch you unawares. Quite easily. It is not a cost issue, or an appearance issue, but a braking performance issue.

So yes, REALLY !

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2014, 20:27:07 »

Yes really! The rust breaks off in chunks and can catch you unawares. Quite easily. It is not a cost issue, or an appearance issue, but a braking performance issue.

So yes, REALLY !

So you have found a paint which will happily sit on a metal surface and endure the massive heat fluctuations that a brake disc will sustain?

I'm not a very quick driver but even I know that the Omega standard discs, callipers and pads are pathetic for the weight of the car.  They get smoking hot on occasions (I live near the A4174, Avon Ring Road) Roundabout after roundabout.

I really want to be proven wrong (no doubt I will be) but a squirt of some manifold paint on the fins will make bugger all difference - How do you get deep inside the disc?  How are you applying this rather 'thick' paint?

Sorry, I can't see it.

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 05 September 2014, 20:40:03 »

So yes, REALLY !

So you have found a paint which will happily sit on a metal surface and endure the massive heat fluctuations that a brake disc will sustain?

I'm not a very quick driver but even I know that the Omega standard discs, callipers and pads are pathetic for the weight of the car.  They get smoking hot on occasions (I live near the A4174, Avon Ring Road) Roundabout after roundabout.

I really want to be proven wrong (no doubt I will be) but a squirt of some manifold paint on the fins will make bugger all difference - How do you get deep inside the disc?  How are you applying this rather 'thick' paint?

Sorry, I can't see it.

I'm not bothered if you see it or not. :)

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2014, 07:17:02 »

The paint on both the GM discs for the Vectra C and Mercedes discs are painted with a fine grey paint which does rub off the disc with brake cleaner and a bit of elbow grease, almost looks like primer :-\

It is effectively that. It is calleda Dacromet coating and a lot of manufacturers use it when the brakes are going to be behind wheels with lots of spaces between the spokes. Ford were doing it about 15-20 years or so ago.

Some details on the website below

http://www.nofmetalcoatings.com/europe/en/coatings/dacromet/dacromet.xhtml

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2014, 07:57:42 »

The paint on both the GM discs for the Vectra C and Mercedes discs are painted with a fine grey paint which does rub off the disc with brake cleaner and a bit of elbow grease, almost looks like primer :-\

It is effectively that. It is calleda Dacromet coating and a lot of manufacturers use it when the brakes are going to be behind wheels with lots of spaces between the spokes. Ford were doing it about 15-20 years or so ago.

Some details on the website below

http://www.nofmetalcoatings.com/europe/en/coatings/dacromet/dacromet.xhtml
Dacromet contained "hexavalent chromium Cr6" so it was replaced by Geomet http://www.anochrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/NOF.pdf in 2007.

Does anyone know if it is available for DIY use? it looks ideal for prolonging the life of steel fasteners on old cars, motorbikes (& preserved railways?).
« Last Edit: 06 September 2014, 08:01:49 by Andy H »
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2014, 14:53:52 »

I'm using Hycote very high temperature paint: "superb adhesion to bare steel"  "temperature resistant up to 650C".  £5 for a 400ml can inc delivery.

I don't care much about the innards, discs rust from the edges to the contact surface in my experience and it is the contact surface rust that is the problem.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 September 2014, 21:43:43 »

5yrs or 50K :o

I usually managed 2yrs or 20k, max. Admittedly, usually due to inside edge corrosion...

If paint stops the corrosion, I'm happy with that :).  I guess any high temp paint, such as that designed for calipers, will withstand the abuse ;)
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #23 on: 09 September 2014, 23:01:51 »

I usually managed 2yrs or 20k, max. Admittedly, usually due to inside edge corrosion...

If paint stops the corrosion, I'm happy with that :).  I guess any high temp paint, such as that designed for calipers, will withstand the abuse ;)

Are you talking to yourself again Mr TB, or is that a real person your quoting? ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 09 September 2014, 23:03:09 »

I reckon some nice bright blue sparkly paint will look the business on either of TBs cars ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 September 2014, 20:33:56 »

Are you talking to yourself again Mr TB, or is that a real person your quoting? ;D
Nope, me no understumble....?
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2014, 21:38:32 »

Nope, me no understumble....?

Ah the old "found guilty pretend fuddelment"  line. I see ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.