Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: is it better to act stupid?  (Read 2415 times)

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
is it better to act stupid?
« on: 06 March 2008, 22:41:17 »

its getting to the point that im gonna have to say "no" to others for my time and knowledge.
if its not sort out my computor, put up an outside light for me, clean my spark plugs, sort out my dishwasher or set up my new tele its help me install this or that.
now i dont mind helping out other people but when i dont even get offered a cuppa its time to say p*ss off. from now on its £10 an hour for my labour/knowledge and if they dont like it then get a company in !!!  present company is free of course!!!
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
Re: is it better to act stupid?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2008, 22:43:35 »

its getting to the point that im gonna have to say "no" to others for my time and knowledge.
if its not sort out my computor, put up an outside light for me, clean my spark plugs, sort out my dishwasher or set up my new tele its help me install this or that.
now i dont mind helping out other people but when i dont even get offered a cuppa its time to say p*ss off. from now on its £10 an hour for my labour/knowledge and if they dont like it then get a company in !!!  present company is free of course!!!

i know exactly what you mean bud i am getting to same stage !!  >:(

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2008, 22:46:27 »

Stopped that a long time ago, don't let on what I know or what I can do :y

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • Sutton-In-Ashfield,Notts
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2008, 22:52:47 »

i know exactly what you mean bud i am getting to same stage !!  >:(

I too can relate to that,been out of pocket a few times,i keep practicing the word 'no'!....i'm just like yourself sir moanalot,i do like to help in any way shape or form,but some do take the p*ss,and the thing is when they've done it they still ask for other things to be done.

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2008, 22:52:49 »

my x wifes neighbour phoned me xmas day at 1pm to come and open her back door as it was sticking. i had to put the phone down  on her in the end. all my x,s neighbours used to hassle me to do work until i gave them a price to do it, never asked again  ;)

richie

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2008, 23:03:12 »

...you can't fix all the broken computers in the world.

...you can't fix all the broken cars in the world.

Once to realise this, it is only a question of where you draw the line... and I know exactly where you are coming from.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2008, 23:59:14 »

Ahh, the one thing that's worse than letting on that you know a thing or two about cars...

Letting on that you know a thing or two about computers... >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2008, 07:37:32 »

i gave a price for 2 jobs at a house and while there got asked "while you have a drill in your hand can you just do this" the jobs i quoted for took an hour but the other "add on jobs" took another hour- she still paid the agreed amount- cheek!
my brother has always acted "stupid" and all he gets is people around to do him favours with a promise of a pint in the future..... who is really the stupid one !!!!!!!!!!! ;D
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2008, 09:06:58 »

My favourite T-shirt...:

Alas, no more Omegas....

Vmax

• Waterlooville, Hampshire.
  • Missing life on two wheels :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2008, 09:10:53 »

My favourite T-shirt...:

HEHE I want  a few of those. get your own jam jar lid off / fix car / wash car / carry heavy stuff / mind you wifey would probably respond with Ironing / washing etc... :(   ;D
Keep Calm And Carry On.......

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 07 March 2008, 10:14:56 »

I'm thinking of printing some flyers to do TV setting up ect a £10/hour

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2008, 10:43:54 »

When I do jobs for my neighbours they generaly dont take advantage and give me some cash or do some baby sitting in return.

If you want to make money then I would sudgest fitting 'digital' aerials (not that there is truely such a thing as they are only wide band analogue!), my neighbour had one fitted to an existing mast using existing cable for............wait for it........

200 quid!

And the trade cost of the aerial.....17 notes!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2008, 11:06:57 »

Digital aerial.  ;D

Must work out at about 150 quid an hour labour. 'course he's probably a highly skilled "engineer". Must be able to operate a ladder, a compass and a set of wire strippers. >:(

Reminds me of the burglar alarm company who tried to extract 80 quid out of me to come and train me on the burglar alarm when we moved into our current house, and another 20 quid to change the PIN number.

They got a bit shirty when I told them I had the installation manual and why wouldn't I just use the "NVRAM Clear" jumper and do it myself.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2008, 11:20:31 »

Reminds me of the burglar alarm company who tried to extract 80 quid out of me to come and train me on the burglar alarm when we moved into our current house, and another 20 quid to change the PIN number.

They got a bit shirty when I told them I had the installation manual and why wouldn't I just use the "NVRAM Clear" jumper and do it myself.

Kevin

Lol, I removed mine and posted it back to the installers when they got shirty about a miantenance contract when we moved in.

I sudgested that maybe a 4 zone setup wasn't ideal for a 4 bed house and so it had been miss supplied and that being the new owner I had no written deal with anyway.......I had of course applied a fully charged 50V 1000uF cap across the 7812 reg first....

I then did a proper job of fitting an 8 zone better alarm for the cost of two years support!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 March 2008, 11:26:09 »

Its the window sellers I like...

Seller: Hello, we are in your area with a special offer on double glazing

Me: But, I already have double glazing

Seller: But these are wooden windows

Me: Yes

Seller: Well plastic windows are better insulators.

Me: No there not, plastic is a much worse insulator than wood.

Seller: But, you dont have to paint plastic ones.

Me: Correct but, these only get painted every 4 years and when done they are painted well so they last well.

Seller: Well you would save the cost of painting.

Me: At the cost of 5K plus for some plastic windows poorly fitted by you lot that dont look so good in order to replace my windows which have more detailing and currently have no faults on them?

Seller: I take it your not interested.

Me: I take it you dont know anything about windows....

And dont even get me started on energy salesmen..........
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.