Author Topic: NVH  (Read 917 times)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
NVH
« on: 11 July 2017, 16:56:41 »

hi. heres a question for you. ive posted this on a few other forums to compare what answers i get though it doesnt realy apply to omegas. take one standard saloon car from say the seventies and once its all rust free and wayoyled up it looks good and hopefully will remain that way for years to come.each year you go underneath and check everywhere thoroughly and repair / re underseal as necesarry if required. then maybee every 5 years or so one extra coat of waxoyl to make it all look even again. (i say waxoyl but can be the sealer of your choice ,dinitrol,whatever,etc)now i have done this for the last 30 years to my cars and have noticed that they are all very gradually getting noisier .aside from the fact that you are in theory putting more sound deadening on you are also building up the thickness of the panels/floor and i suppose lowering the natural resonant frequency and making the car feel louder at low frequencies.(hard to explain,boomier,thumpier !for want of better descriptions!)i have read many a website on this subject and realise it is a big thing that manufacturers spend millions to get right on new cars and a much misunderstood and underrated subject. so aside from removing all my years of protection and appliying just one layer like it was before originally .has anyone any suggestions/ experience of this type of thing.

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: NVH
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2017, 17:05:32 »

I would say the vibrations are being pushed to the panels without the layers.

You've basically deadened the chassis but nowhere else
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: NVH
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2017, 17:09:48 »

yeah thats probably whats happened but i also have all panels such as doors and wings heavily treated inside and plenty of insulation in boot side panels as well. its as if ive lowered the resonant frequency by making the metal heavier/ thicker. obviously a minefield of a subject to get into and understand. a bit like the black art of fine tuning speaker enclosures relative to the driver size vs frquencies req
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.