Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mrs Opti loves the Mazda MX5 so.......  (Read 4471 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Mrs Opti loves the Mazda MX5 so.......
« on: 20 July 2012, 11:05:57 »

Like all girlies Mrs Opti has always lusted after an MX5. They do seem to be gender specific cars.

There's an original 1.6 version a few miles from us. What do you think? I wouldn't pay more than £800 for it, and I'd be buying it blind.

Take a few minutes to watch the video.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261068094252&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_2250wt_1031

aaronjb

Re: Mrs Opti loves the Mazda MX5 so.......
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2012, 11:20:58 »

I think:

You'll have to pay more than £800 for an 'actual' mint example (but probably get one described as such for £800)
Don't buy one blind, they hide rust really well (just ask a friend of mine who failed to spot the sill rust on a UK car he just bought for £800 which was described as 'mint'...)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2012, 11:29:40 »

from the video I dont see anything wrong.. but personally I wouldnt pay anything before I checked underneath :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2012, 11:38:07 »

I know where there's a totally original and sought after Mk1 R Limited, no rust whatsoever and runs really well and its for sale. The good thing with the R limited, it will only go up in price, problem is its quite a bit more than £800 ::)
Retired

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2012, 11:45:18 »

Thank, Aaron, Cem and Pete. The auction closes in eleven hours and I just don't have the time to take a look. If it doesn't sell perhaps I could go pay it a visit.

Like Aaron says, the MX-5 is good at hiding rust..........and this one is 22 years old. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2012, 11:53:31 »

Yep, check the rear end of the sills particularly for any signs of rust. If there's any surface rust here, or signs of a quick repair, be aware that it works its' way out from the inside and needs quite a bit of surgery to repair properly.

Petrol tanks can rust and are difficult to get to (not easy to inspect either) so that job can be a serious PITA.

Mechanically they are pretty robust. I recall some issue with the crank pully working loose and the nose of the crank dying on early engines, so worth asking if that's been encountered and properly sorted.

1.6 could do with a little more go, IMHO, which is a shame because it's a sweeter engine than the 1.8, but that depends on her requirements.

Cam belt interval is 54K IIRC. Easy change once you've got the crank pulley off, though.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2012, 11:55:20 »

Yep, check the rear end of the sills particularly for any signs of rust. If there's any surface rust here, or signs of a quick repair, be aware that it works its' way out from the inside and needs quite a bit of surgery to repair properly.

Petrol tanks can rust and are difficult to get to (not easy to inspect either) so that job can be a serious PITA.

Mechanically they are pretty robust. I recall some issue with the crank pully working loose and the nose of the crank dying on early engines, so worth asking if that's been encountered and properly sorted.

1.6 could do with a little more go, IMHO, which is a shame because it's a sweeter engine than the 1.8, but that depends on her requirements.

Cam belt interval is 54K IIRC. Easy change once you've got the crank pulley off, though.

Good thing is, they're a safe engine so if the cambelt lets go there's no damage done ;)
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2012, 12:02:25 »

Good thing is, they're a safe engine so if the cambelt lets go there's no damage done ;)

Indeed. I've heard that too, but not tested the theory. ;) Still a good bargaining point if it's due/overdue though.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 20 July 2012, 14:27:50 »

Like all girlies Mrs Opti has always lusted after an MX5. They do seem to be gender specific cars.

There's an original 1.6 version a few miles from us. What do you think? I wouldn't pay more than £800 for it, and I'd be buying it blind.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261068094252&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_2250wt_1031

Thats put me off getting one now then "girlie car"  ::) :'( :( ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 July 2012, 14:42:51 »

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. They are a hoot. :D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2012, 14:47:39 »

It's a real shame that the little MX-5 has such a  girlie/gay/hairdresser image because I understand that a well set up example is a great driver's car. :y

Embrace your feminine side, EMD. :-* :-* :-* :-* Plenty of pink MX-5 about. ::) ::) ;)

omega3000

« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2012, 15:02:11 »

It's a real shame that the little MX-5 has such a  girlie/gay/hairdresser image because I understand that a well set up example is a great driver's car. :y

Embrace your feminine side, EMD. :-* :-* :-* :-* Plenty of pink MX-5 about. ::) ::) ;)

:( :( :( :( :-[

I quite like the racing green one .... i think mr clarkson took one for a spin and was pleasantly suprised at the handling  :)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2012, 15:02:20 »

I love it when people put up threads about MX5s, give me a good excuse to repost this ::) ::)

Take an empty airfield, my 1.8 MX5 a few Omegas and a Zafira ;)

Retired

albitz

« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2012, 15:04:58 »

Yep,very girly indeed. ::) ;D ;D............I would have one like a shot if I didnt need more than two seats. :y

omega3000

« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2012, 15:07:26 »

I love it when people put up threads about MX5s, give me a good excuse to repost this 

Take an empty airfield, my 1.8 MX5 a few Omegas and a Zafira

Eggsellent  ;D    :P :P
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.