Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter tyres insanity.  (Read 3256 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Winter tyres insanity.
« on: 09 January 2014, 14:52:03 »

I'm at a loss to understand where this 'winter tyres' craze has sprung from.

I mean, for decades the British motorist has driven all year round, and in all weathers, on the same tyres. We managed...We survived. We didn't need 'nanny tyres' when a few flakes of snow fell from the heavens.

Now we are being told to use 'winter tyres' from October through April and then, at great expense, change back to 'summer tyres'

Why? ???

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tyres insanity.
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2014, 14:59:52 »

Could it be the tyre dealers/manufacturers that are making this recommendation?

Ron.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2014, 15:15:34 »

I mean, for decades the British motorist has driven all year round, and in all weathers, on the same tyres. We managed...We survived. We didn't need 'nanny tyres' when a few flakes of snow fell from the heavens.

Now we are being told to use 'winter tyres' from October through April and then, at great expense, change back to 'summer tyres'

Why? ???

By who?  :-\

martin42

« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2014, 15:18:20 »

Umm i can really see lex leasing doing this,NOT, and the company i work for wont either with the huge fleet we have.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2014, 15:23:10 »

Why? ???

by who-\

In many parts of Europe it's the law. And if the EU has it's way, it wouldn't surprise me if it became law here in Blighty.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2014, 15:25:40 by Mr. Opti »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2014, 15:24:59 »

Why? ???

By who?  :-\

By whom?. ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2014, 15:29:49 »

Why? ???

by who-\

In many parts of Europe it's the law. And if the EU has it's way, it wouldn't surprise me if it became law here in Blighty.

I may have mentioned it once or twice, but when I drove to Austria  ::) - I needed them by law, so a bought a set. Can see why, serious amounts of snow on non-motorway roads, most car parks side roads covered. I was in a snow covered carpark where normally the Omega would be all over the place, the ones I have (Dunlop Winter Sport 3D) were bloody excellent. Thick heavy snow, traction no problem. At speed in fairly thick slush, really tracked and pulled well.

Problem is with the UK is its not regular or guaranteed, Austrian Alps, you will get snow. Every year.

Here? Well you could get snow, or you could get a shit load of rain.  ;D

Sadly our weather is not predicable enough to warrant them in my opinion, if they do make it law, it would be impossible to police.

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2014, 15:32:34 »

Oh Opti....  Opti. Opti. Opti. We where doing so well this year. ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 January 2014, 15:37:52 »

Why? ???

by who-\

I may have mentioned it once or twice, but when I drove to Austria  ::) - I needed them by law, so a bought a set. Can see why, serious amounts of snow on non-motorway roads, most car parks side roads covered. I was in a snow covered carpark where normally the Omega would be all over the place, the ones I have (Dunlop Winter Sport 3D) were bloody excellent. Thick heavy snow, traction no problem. At speed in fairly thick slush, really tracked and pulled well.

Problem is with the UK is its not regular or guaranteed, Austrian Alps, you will get snow. Every year.

Here? Well you could get snow, or you could get a shit load of rain.  ;D

Sadly our weather is not predicable enough to warrant them in my opinion, if they do make it law, it would be impossible to police.

Agreed. So why would somebody stick them on a British-based CLS 500, causing potential future owners to spend money on a proper set of tyres for the summer. :( :(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 January 2014, 15:38:48 »

Oh Opti....  Opti. Opti. Opti. We where doing so well this year. ;D

A tyre thread to get your juices flowing, Mr Gixer. ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 January 2014, 15:41:40 »

The major difference on a winter tyre is the compound, its more flexible at low temperatures.

The tread patterns are different to but its less of a benefit.

Bottom line is, the major thing that wants improving is the seat - wheel interface

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 January 2014, 15:42:25 »

Oh Opti....  Opti. Opti. Opti. We were doing so well this year. ;D

;) ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 January 2014, 15:45:26 »

Agreed. So why would somebody stick them on a British-based CLS 500, causing potential future owners to spend money on a proper set of tyres for the summer. :( :(

Did they do lot of driving in Euroland? Keen on Winter Sports? :-\

Can see that kind of car being a nice long distance cruiser down autobahns/alps

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 January 2014, 16:08:02 »

Did they do lot of driving in Euroland? Keen on Winter Sports? :-\

Can see that kind of car being a nice long distance cruiser down autobahns/alps

You may have a point, Mr Tunnie.

The owner tells me that he  travels abroad maybe five or six times a year.

However, this doesn't help the next owner, who will need to shell out for some 'real tyres'. :'(

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2014, 16:13:59 »

In Germany it's customary to own two sets of wheels and tyres; you store the 'other' set at the tyre shop and they swap them over when necessary..

My Dad worked out there for a couple of years recently (besides being stationed out there many years ago) and watched a guy turn up to the tyre place and have one set of 20" alloys taken off his nearly new Mercedes to be replaced with another set of 20" alloys (identical, of course) with winter tyres, his summer wheels being stored in a locked cage at the tyre shop.

Alright if you can afford a few thousand on a second set of wheels..

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2014, 16:23:15 »

In Germany it's customary to own two sets of wheels and tyres; you store the 'other' set at the tyre shop and they swap them over when necessary..

My Dad worked out there for a couple of years recently (besides being stationed out there many years ago) and watched a guy turn up to the tyre place and have one set of 20" alloys taken off his nearly new Mercedes to be replaced with another set of 20" alloys (identical, of course) with winter tyres, his summer wheels being stored in a locked cage at the tyre shop.

Alright if you can afford a few thousand on a second set of wheels..

My point entirely.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2014, 16:33:55 »

Bit cheaper for Omegas, I got the full set of Winters with 6mm tread on CD alloys for £130 all in.

Rip off compared to my Kumo 31's also with 6mm tread all around, on unmarked CDX alloys. 100 notes for all 4!

Got to love OOF  :D :D :D

Really makes you appreciate it when a colleague was looking at £300+ per tyre for his £24k A6  :o

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2014, 16:35:14 »

Yeah - cheaper for the Omega.. I picked up a set of steel wheels (thanks to OOF) and even a brand new set of winters wasn't eye watering compared to ~£1000 for a set of tyres on the M3 .. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2014, 16:36:28 »

;) ;)

Bothered? ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2014, 17:03:44 »

;) ;)

Bothered? ;D

Damn. That shuld of said bovered obviously. ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 January 2014, 17:07:57 »

I really wish someone had forced me into buying winter tyres. ::) All this 10 degrees C and gallons of standing water malarkey is really sub-optimal for my bog standard tyres. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 January 2014, 17:22:12 »

I'm sure the tyre manufacturers are lobbying hard in Brussels for this to happen.  >:(

I expect there's a few brown envelopes flying around!  :o  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #22 on: 09 January 2014, 17:50:22 »

here its been more than a month since last snow .. but this week every morning was frosty..  and roads were icy so I couldnt hammer as usual..

sjr47

« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2014, 18:11:05 »

Running Michelin pilot alpins  all round since all this H2O arrived several weeks now and not only a bonus in snow but found less liable to aquaplaning hit some standing water on a few occasions recently which on summer tyres would have had the sphincter twitching but no problems with the Alpins .

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #24 on: 09 January 2014, 18:14:40 »

conti ts850 ok.. but really noisy ???

MR MISTER

« Reply #25 on: 09 January 2014, 18:31:55 »

I'm sure the tyre manufacturers are lobbying hard in Brussels for this to happen.  >:(

I expect there's a few brown envelopes flying around!  :o  ::)
You've hit the nail on the head there, Tigger. Only last year, Michelin were crying poverty and we're told by the EU to hang tight, they were going to legislate soon.

sjr47

« Reply #26 on: 09 January 2014, 21:20:07 »

So Spain, Greece ,Southern Italy all running round on winter boots at 20oC think not ??? ??? will only be us mugs daft enough to accept it

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 January 2014, 23:06:37 »

If you hire a car in Germany, Austria or Swizerland between October and May, the hire care company will charge you extra for the privilege of Winter tyres - and it's not optional. Local laws apparantly. I've no idea why they aren't included in the price since they won't let you have the car without them.

I've driven to the (French) Alps for the past 4 winters in the Omega on Summer tyres. I do have snow chains, and without them there is no way we would have got there on 2 occasions, or back on 3 occasions.  The locals consider us (Brits) mad to even attempt it on summer tyres.

I think next time I'm going to take their advice and get some cheap steel rims with winter tyres on. Traveling down hill with chains on the back, and summer tyres on the front can get effing scary. You daren't touch the brakes cos the fronts will just lock up and then you're a passenger heading straight to the scene of the accident. I found the best way was to put the car in neutral and use the hand brake to control the speed, and then just pray that the front tyres have enough grip to have some influence on the direction of travel. One of the few occasions when a FWD car is an advantage IMHO.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 January 2014, 23:50:26 »

I found the best way was to put the car in neutral and use the hand brake to control the speed, and then just pray that the front tyres have enough grip to have some influence on the direction of travel.

:o :o :o

Let me know when you next go to the Alps, and I'll go to the Pyrenees instead!!  :P  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 10 January 2014, 05:26:33 »

There's no doubting winters have their uses, heading up to the Alps on summer tyres is well dodgy on summers. Sc3's on would be lunacy.

But here in the uk. No!

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10 January 2014, 06:55:35 »

Depends on which area of the UK you live in, I'd say.  :y

When the winter snow finally arrives here, I'll be glad the winters are on.  :P

Rant over!  ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #31 on: 10 January 2014, 09:27:15 »

Ok, bit previous with uk bit. :)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 January 2014, 10:12:10 »

I really wish someone had forced me into buying winter tyres. ::) All this 10 degrees C and gallons of standing water malarkey is really sub-optimal for my bog standard tyres. ;)

which has no bearing on your power/weight ratio, the stiff chassis or your tendency to use the loud pedal..... ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 10 January 2014, 10:49:16 »

which has no bearing on your power/weight ratio, the stiff chassis or your tendency to use the loud pedal..... ;D
Nothing wrong with the loud pedal... ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #34 on: 10 January 2014, 10:59:27 »

I exercised mine this morning .. complete with my winter tyres. ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 10 January 2014, 11:03:37 »

I exercised mine this morning .. complete with my winter tyres. ;D
Blew some cobwebs from mine last night... thought it was getting a bit sluggish :-\ turns out I was always two gears higher than I should have been ::) performance instantly restored ;D

Oh, no winter tyres here, but will need some more shortly... TC is so switchoffandonable :-X
« Last Edit: 10 January 2014, 11:05:20 by ex taxi al »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 January 2014, 11:58:23 »

In the Ukraine if there is snow on the roads or it is icy you can get fined if not running winter tyres. It is very, very rare for there not to be snow and icy roads at various points during the winter. Recently it has been unusually warm for the time of year with it up to +7degC. When I ask my wife what the weather is at this time of year, if she says warm that means anything above -5degC and cold is anything below -10degC. :o :o :o :o

To show the difference between the UK and the Ukraine, if we have snow and a bit of cold weather then there is a big fuss on how dangerous it is. When there were the recent protests in Kiev on the EU agreement, there was plenty of snow on the ground and the temperatures were -10degC or below and many were protesting 24/7 and camping in the main square. They just take cold weather, snow and ice, in their stride, but unlike the UK, they do dress appropriately. :o :o :o :o

I can see the EU bringing a similar law in for all EU countries as it is a good earner for the tyre and wheel companies plus the extra storage fees. You only have to look at the herbal remedies market and their attempted ban on all non-manufacturer car parts to which side of the brown envelope fence they sit on.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Winter tyres like everything else have their place, but would be rarely need in the south of England, except in Reading where the terrain is like a billiard table, but they they need them for the man made hills with the bridges over the motorways, so they should be compulsory from September to March. :P :P :P :P
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

sjr47

« Reply #37 on: 11 January 2014, 17:44:50 »

Cant see it happening really UK wide, maybe in The Independent Socialist Republic of Scotland when or if that happens as a pikey van owner we are on the verge of defeating the EUs attemt to bring in MOTs for caravans & trailers so enough lobbying pressure applied can defeat these money spinning laws wrapped up in the guise of Health & Safety. :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #38 on: 11 January 2014, 20:35:44 »

;D your not funny Rods, not funny at all ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.