Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Charging ?  (Read 3340 times)

omega3000

Re: Battery Charging ?
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2014, 12:24:04 »

Ill see how it goes, i didnt buy the battery as it was on the car when i bought it so ill have to look for the receipt .

vauxlooney

• southport
    • omega 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2014, 12:25:35 »

I never even thought to check the amp age on my battery charger until reading this thread. Will have to go check and work out how long i should actually be using it for. Instead of just sticking it on for a few hours and 'giving it a try'.

omega3000

« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2014, 12:28:58 »

I never even thought to check the amp age on my battery charger until reading this thread. Will have to go check and work out how long i should actually be using it for. Instead of just sticking it on for a few hours and 'giving it a try'.

Me neither , i thought 24hrs would be enough ... live and learn  :y

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2014, 15:12:46 »

It would be if your charger was pumping out 5 times more than what it is.

omega3000

« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2014, 16:00:22 »

:y

Optimate 3 that i have i think was designed specifically for motorcycles  :-\ Mite be wrong but i thought a slow A charge would be better than a high A charge .. or am i talking donuts  ;D :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2014, 20:00:12 »

Optimate 3 that i have i think was designed specifically for motorcycles  :-\ Mite be wrong but i thought a slow A charge would be better than a high A charge .. or am i talking donuts  ;D :-\

You'll find out in four days time ;D

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2014, 20:04:24 »

If you have the time then trickle charging is best

Don't use those boost charger especially on a regular basis as batteries do not like it rammed into them ;D

My old charger and I mean old is dual voltage and up to 6 amps
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2014, 20:52:03 »

There is no dispute that the slower the charge rate, the better it will be for the battery.
However there is slow (trickle) charging, and then there is nothing short of absolutely asthmatic (which is where you are at 0.6A).

As I said before, the generally accepted optimum charge rate for any battery is 10% of it's rated capacity.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 February 2014, 21:35:35 »

I concur, Andy, and would just like to add a couple of additional points.
Charge efficiency can be up to 95% for standard lead-acid batteries, but as low as 70% for gel types, so be prepared for even longer charging times if you have that type.
Also, with standard types you can see when full charge has been reached by the gassing of the electrolyte, if it's an old-fashioned one with removable caps to the cells.
It is bad news to continue charging when the gas stage has been reached, so either then drop the charging voltage back down to around 13.8 volts (14.8 - 15 volts to gas stage) or get a clever charger that does it automatically.
Halfrauds do one, but you MUST disconnect the battery completely with that, because it uses pulse charging, which would upset the car's electronics.

I hope that helps; battery charging can be a lifetime study!

Ron.

omega3000

« Reply #24 on: 01 March 2014, 11:34:31 »

Still charging   :D The optimate charger is designed for trickle charge and takes the battery through various stages to recondition flat batteries  :y

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 02 March 2014, 13:06:57 »

Fully charged now  :y Only took 3 1/2 days  ;)

vauxlooney

• southport
    • omega 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 March 2014, 21:51:07 »

after being inspires by this thread, i decided to put an old battery i found in my garage on a trickle charge for a few days to see it it takes charge......................think i need to get out more.

chrisgixer

« Reply #27 on: 05 March 2014, 21:53:59 »

This optimate. Is it a bike battery charger?

omega3000

« Reply #28 on: 05 March 2014, 22:03:00 »

after being inspires by this thread, i decided to put an old battery i found in my garage on a trickle charge for a few days to see it it takes charge......................think i need to get out more.

;D ;D

It is , had it years when i had the bikes  :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 05 March 2014, 22:06:41 »

;D ;D

It is , had it years when i had the bikes  :y
I don't know enough about electrics to know, but I would of thought a bike battery charger would not be man enough, as bike batteries are less than 1/8th the size of a car battery.

Might explain the charge rate. ..?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.