Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: wheels ran away :(  (Read 3697 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: wheels ran away :(
« Reply #30 on: 11 March 2011, 23:35:48 »

Just a thought... Are they standard wheels? Just wondering if they're aftermarket with spacers and the bolts are too short :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

russ0205

• northants
    • mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 March 2011, 01:39:11 »

Thats not good both wheels i would have a good look as to why,good luck it was low speed mate  :-[

Thomas-Elite

• south wales
  • High BHP Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 March 2011, 09:50:49 »

Aftermarket, without spacers. But like i said there was no problems for the 1500 miles befor it happened. I was at the end of a 150mile trip when it happened to. Going to pick it up from the garage at 11 so fingers crossed it will be safe to drive again.
Wolf In Sheep Clothing

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 March 2011, 09:51:41 »

Is the PCD right on the wheels? Offset?
Grumpy old man

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 March 2011, 12:22:35 »

i know you say no spacers, but do you mean you also didnt have spigot rings to adapt to the centre bore? if not, the wheels would only have been held on by 20 bolts alone, if an aftermarket alloy isnt the correct centre bore the spigot ring to fill the gap is paramount

I do alot of messing about with alloys on cars, i've actually just bought a set yesterday to go on my bora, and this is literally just weeks after changing them before!! I'm on my 8th set in 2 years cos i get bored quickly, but i always ALWAYS check my wheel nuts at the correct time after changing wheels, and at least monthly, on top of random checks when i have a spare few minutes

when you're driving, the bolts are the only thing keeping the car stable on the road in a way!!

while delivering mail down a main road i was distracted by a loud grinding noise, as i looked round i was faced with the front wheel of a transit van coming straight for me which had bounced across the road and thankfully missed everything, until i ran out and kicked it to the floor!

garage had changed a tyre and not tightened his bolts up (his request) and he forgot to do it himself

Thomas-Elite

• south wales
  • High BHP Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 March 2011, 16:47:17 »

i know you say no spacers, but do you mean you also didnt have spigot rings to adapt to the centre bore? if not, the wheels would only have been held on by 20 bolts alone, if an aftermarket alloy isnt the correct centre bore the spigot ring to fill the gap is paramount

I do alot of messing about with alloys on cars, i've actually just bought a set yesterday to go on my bora, and this is literally just weeks after changing them before!! I'm on my 8th set in 2 years cos i get bored quickly, but i always ALWAYS check my wheel nuts at the correct time after changing wheels, and at least monthly, on top of random checks when i have a spare few minutes

when you're driving, the bolts are the only thing keeping the car stable on the road in a way!!

while delivering mail down a main road i was distracted by a loud grinding noise, as i looked round i was faced with the front wheel of a transit van coming straight for me which had bounced across the road and thankfully missed everything, until i ran out and kicked it to the floor!

garage had changed a tyre and not tightened his bolts up (his request) and he forgot to do it himself

Im looking at a new set of wheels. Looking for the opinion of someone with a bit of know how. They are team dynamics, Stud Diameter:  112 & 114 - Rim Width:  9.5J - Rim Diameter:  19 inches - Offset:  35.

My arches are being rolled while the car is in for repair next week. Do you think these will get under the arches ok?
Wolf In Sheep Clothing

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 March 2011, 19:52:55 »

i think so, but the stud fitment's wrong if you're putting them on an omega

omega is 5x110, you can apparently get away with using wobble bolts if the difference is very small, but i personally wouldnt touch wobbly bolts since thats all that holds the wheels on!

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • MV6 RIP - Lexus GS300 '99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 March 2011, 15:14:39 »

I once had all four wheels fall off a mondeo.
i;d swapped the steel wheels for alloys, and used the steel wheel nuts (bolts?) which have a smaller diameter head than the hole in the alloys...

Is it possible someone's tried nicking your wheels, and only got as far as undoing a couple of them?
Carpe Incendium

Thomas-Elite

• south wales
  • High BHP Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 March 2011, 17:31:11 »

to be honest mate, your guess is as good as any. Think its just going to go unknown. Just one of them things. wil continue to check them offten, and hope it dont happen again. Not a nice feeling. And its costing me £250 to get repaired  >:(
Wolf In Sheep Clothing
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.