Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So what replacement car do you buy?  (Read 8728 times)

Crazycarzowner

Re: So what replacement car do you buy?
« Reply #15 on: 13 December 2015, 12:08:27 »

If I wasn't doin stupid miles I'd get another Jaaaaaaaaag, supercharged one. However there ain't many about for the £2.5k mark. Bloke at work has got a lovely 3.0L on a '54 plate, low miles and only paid £4500 for it.

ted_one

« Reply #16 on: 13 December 2015, 12:20:17 »

Strictly no more Omegas for me,will still be keeping them only because of the amount of money  invested over the past years,
but also no more ''project cars'' either....that's a lesson learned from having the Omegas. I'm looking around for a later model VXR8....and hopefully ownership of that might persuade me to 'get rid' of the Omegas,although it's going to be difficult to break from what has been a  PITA keeping them properly maintained and without the guys on here it would never have been possible :y Only time will tell on that one, but for me my driving hours are for pleasure as opposed to work/business etc,but if I did have to make a decision for an everyday plodder, then it would probably a Chrysler 300 diesel .....big old barge etc :y .....bit like me really ::)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 December 2015, 12:24:19 »

bmw e39 530i , lots DIY jobs can be done , plenty spares
many spec versions

Nice shape those  :) Bodywork seems to last better than most of cars of its era and better quality interior than a vauxhall .

Although this one is pleasing to the eye  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-728I-SPORT-AUTO-BLUE-M-PARALLEL-ALLOYS-FACELIFT-/172024253455?hash=item280d71cc0f:g:kX4AAOSwcBhWaDiB
« Last Edit: 13 December 2015, 12:30:25 by EMD »
Omegatitis

ted_one

« Reply #18 on: 13 December 2015, 12:31:08 »

Had a Hemi powered one on a U.S holiday,nice and comfy and it could shred the tyres when called on :o :y Can't see a deceasel being up for that, but still a usable motor.

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 December 2015, 12:38:17 »

bmw e39 530i, lots DIY jobs can be done , plenty spares
many spec versions

I believe the E39 is the 'good looking' model and not the the Bangle abortion that looks like a shed load of parts thrown together.
one of them
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-52-BMW-5-SERIES-530i-Sport-/272067735640?hash=item3f58803058:g:kPkAAOSwcBhWY3xl

Looks good. :y

£2000-£2500 should secure.

The 5 litre 400 BHP  M5 in the same body would be preferable though. Nice V8 lump. :y

I can vouch for that ;)

Very heavy on fuel though - even compared to the 3L V6 - so 40k a year won't be cheap and unlikely to find a reasonable one under £5k
« Last Edit: 13 December 2015, 12:40:42 by sjc »
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 December 2015, 13:02:49 »

I'm thinking about a Subaru Forester which seems to me to be a very functional and capable vehicle, and there are plenty around at reasonable prices.  :y  Ugly as sin though!  ::)

Good forum support for Subaru too, so many of the benefits of this place.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 December 2015, 13:05:12 »

Been thinking about the same thing having had lease car's for the past 9/10 years due to the miles I was doing and now being semi retired not doing the mile's anymore quite like the look of the jaguar s'type lot's of choice around the 2k 2.5k mark

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 December 2015, 13:09:35 »

Been thinking about the same thing having had lease car's for the past 9/10 years due to the miles I was doing and now being semi retired not doing the mile's anymore quite like the look of the jaguar s'type lot's of choice around the 2k 2.5k mark
Need to be aware of expensive chocolate gearboxes on those, esp the bigger engine ones
Grumpy old man

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 December 2015, 13:30:08 »

Been looking for a manual but most seem to be 2.5 and low spec from what I have read the prop with the gearboxes was on the earlier models the 6 speed zf box seems to be okay

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #24 on: 13 December 2015, 13:35:37 »

Need to be aware of expensive chocolate gearboxes on those, esp the bigger engine ones

I could be wrong TB, but I thought it was the X-type that had box problems especially the 4X4 ones???  :-\ :-\ :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 December 2015, 13:39:45 »

I could be wrong TB, but I thought it was the X-type that had box problems especially the 4X4 ones???  :-\ :-\ :-\

I had the misfortune to own  a Jaguar Mondeo with 4 wheel drive and a 3 litre V6. It was probably the worst car I have ever owned.

Total crap. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 13 December 2015, 13:44:20 »

Chap at work has a diseasal 300C, absolutely loves it... 3.0 v6, 220 brake, shed load of torque, reasonable load capacity as an estate... ok, not the prettiest of cars, but worth a look over...

Probably over budget though :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 December 2015, 13:49:45 »

Chap at work has a diseasal 300C, absolutely loves it... 3.0 v6, 220 brake, shed load of torque, reasonable load capacity as an estate... ok, not the prettiest of cars, but worth a look over...

Probably over budget though :-\

:-\ :-X :'( :)

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 December 2015, 13:52:57 »

I know the Mondeo based x type has some gearbox/transferbox proplems from what I have read the s'type can throw up some electrical faults if the battery is not in top condition

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 December 2015, 13:54:47 »

I know the Mondeo based x type has some gearbox/transferbox proplems from what I have read the s'type can throw up some electrical faults if the battery is not in top condition

.....yes, this as well. :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.