Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: standard nav  (Read 1428 times)

keolsen

• View Profile
standard nav
« on: 28 June 2007, 20:06:38 »

Hi my first post here...
I have original nav installed in my car, I think it's a Philips/Carin...and as my car is from 1997 the nav is obviously from same year and quite outdated...so even though I bought new maps with all details I can think of, it cannot navigate to a destination by housenumber...have to enter two crossing roads.
I simply can't live with that, so I want to have a newer one...but I like it integrated in the car, so I was wondering if it possible to fit a new nav computer to the original display if it supports it? or do I have to buy a new display as well...then it most likely won't fit in where the original display is...
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: standard nav
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2007, 21:04:36 »

Hi my first post here...
I have original nav installed in my car, I think it's a Philips/Carin...and as my car is from 1997 the nav is obviously from same year and quite outdated...so even though I bought new maps with all details I can think of, it cannot navigate to a destination by housenumber...have to enter two crossing roads.
I simply can't live with that, so I want to have a newer one...but I like it integrated in the car, so I was wondering if it possible to fit a new nav computer to the original display if it supports it? or do I have to buy a new display as well...then it most likely won't fit in where the original display is...
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance  :)
No, not possible....
Grumpy old man

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2007, 06:31:17 »

Even though the Carin system is now quite old it still works very well, my system would navigate to house numbers and the later ones have postcode entry. It doesn't have the interface of the Tom Toms but it is nearly 10 years old. Have you got an updated disk.

I found it much better than the Siemens system fitted in my facelift Omega.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2007, 13:32:35 »

It has to be said, by far the most sensible and cost effective solution to sat nav is a portable unit (Mio C510E being my recommendation).

It is so far ahead of what you have now it is comical to compare the 2, even with the updated maps.

The new units really are superb and will fit away easily when not in use.
The Administrator.

keolsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2007, 14:40:33 »

Even though the Carin system is now quite old it still works very well, my system would navigate to house numbers and the later ones have postcode entry. It doesn't have the interface of the Tom Toms but it is nearly 10 years old. Have you got an updated disk.

How can you navigate to housenumbers if it's the same nav system? Maybe your nav box's slightly newer than mine...which means that it's probably possible to get a box which can navigate to housenumbers and replace it with the existing one...in my car. Could you provide a modelnumber ? I assume it's compatible with the original display...
The userinterface I can live with...
Yes I've got an updated disk...2005 maps...new enough for me.

It has to be said, by far the most sensible and cost effective solution to sat nav is a portable unit (Mio C510E being my recommendation).

It is so far ahead of what you have now it is comical to compare the 2, even with the updated maps.

The new units really are superb and will fit away easily when not in use.

Yea, you're right...this is probably the best solution, at least concerning cost and user interface and I actually have a pda with tomtom, but I always forget it when I need it, so an integrated solution is a must...it's always there and difficult (or at least more difficult than a pda or other portable unit) to steal, but it's so annoying that it doesn't have the capability to navigate to housenumber.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2007, 17:26:39 »

How can you navigate to housenumbers if it's the same nav system? Maybe your nav box's slightly newer than mine...which means that it's probably possible to get a box which can navigate to housenumbers and replace it with the existing one...in my car. Could you provide a modelnumber ? I assume it's compatible with the original display...
The userinterface I can live with...
Yes I've got an updated disk...2005 maps...new enough for me.

I don't have the car any more, but I'm sure even the original map disk did house numbers, I probably had the 2005 disk, and that did house numbers. It doesn't have a separate menu for postcodes just enter it where you enter the town. It will (i think) only do the first 4 or 5 digits not the full 7 digit code.

There was also a software update, which I might still have somewhere.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2007, 09:36:47 »

2005 maps may be borderline for full postcode.

There was a system software update to allow it to do postcodes (perhaps numbers if on map?), but that disk is rarer than rocking horse poo.
Grumpy old man

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2007, 11:42:55 »

There was a system software update to allow it to do postcodes (perhaps numbers if on map?), but that disk is rarer than rocking horse poo.

Looks like I've found some rocking horse poo. I have system update 2.3 on a cd.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2007, 11:50:10 »

Looks like I've found some rocking horse poo. I have system update 2.3 on a cd.
Make sure you have a backup copy, you'll never get another ;)
« Last Edit: 30 June 2007, 11:50:49 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.