Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Brakes Question  (Read 2364 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Brakes Question
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2022, 17:35:38 »

The "park brake/handbrake" is also the "emergency brake" in the event of rapid brake fluid loss .
selecting P at 100 err I mean 70 won't end well for the gearbox  :P

so why wear it out using it when you don't need to  ::) ::)
Using it stops the cable (which is plastic lined) and mechanisms from seizing .
Also , in the event of someone crashing into the Omega while it's parked (which has happened to me many times  >:( ) it puts less strain on the park pawl
Failure of the pawl could see 2 ton of Vauxhall's finest opel rust on it's merry way down the road

Dave, You have realised that I'm not being serious ...  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2022, 17:38:41 »

BMW and Mercedes have both been long term users of rear discs with the parking brake being contained within the hub drum of the disc brake. The Omega is no different in this regard. ....

Though my 07 R Class used a disc/drum set up using a foot operated parking/emergency brake, my ML now uses an electric parking brake that operates on the disc.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2022, 17:47:14 »

BMW and Mercedes have both been long term users of rear discs with the parking brake being contained within the hub drum of the disc brake. The Omega is no different in this regard. ....

Though my 07 R Class used a disc/drum set up using a foot operated parking/emergency brake, my ML now uses an electric parking brake that operates on the disc.
The pedal operation is a variation on the traditional hand operated lever or the old umbrella handle type. The pedal operated mechanism is adjusted in exactly the same way as the hand lever... The ratchet/pawl has a fixed range of motion and the cable connecting the lever to the rear cables is adjusted for length as (very rarely) required. The release handle is a cable or chain (on some '70s models) that is basically an elaborate version of the push button on a traditional handbrake lever.

Switching to electric is probably as much to do with cost to manufacture as much as anything else.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2022, 17:54:57 »

Thanks for all the feedback on my question :y :y

Now I have to ask;  is the, rather antiquated, system any different on the new electric vehicles?

To me, apart from brake cables for the main drums being replaced by hydraulic pipes to brake pads, but still cables being used for hand brakes, with fail safe systems, nothing has really changed since my A40 days.

I know if a engineering system is found to be good the designers stick to it, but what will or can change in the future?

(I am in a questioning mood trying to get my mind off something else..................!!) :P

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2022, 17:57:01 »

The "park brake/handbrake" is also the "emergency brake" in the event of rapid brake fluid loss .
selecting P at 100 err I mean 70 won't end well for the gearbox  :P

so why wear it out using it when you don't need to  ::) ::)
Using it stops the cable (which is plastic lined) and mechanisms from seizing .
Also , in the event of someone crashing into the Omega while it's parked (which has happened to me many times  >:( ) it puts less strain on the park pawl
Failure of the pawl could see 2 ton of Vauxhall's finest opel rust on it's merry way down the road

Dave, You have realised that I'm not being serious ...  ::)
But someone else could read this thread  :o
it's on the internet  :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 January 2022, 18:12:54 »

Now I have to ask;  is the, rather antiquated, system any different on the new electric vehicles?

To me, apart from brake cables for the main drums being replaced by hydraulic pipes to brake pads, but still cables being used for hand brakes, with fail safe systems, nothing has really changed since my A40 days.

I know if a engineering system is found to be good the designers stick to it, but what will or can change in the future?

(I am in a questioning mood trying to get my mind off something else..................!!) :P

New vehicles use a switch, some cables, an ECU, with at least one electric motor and linkage to do the same job. They're shit. You need to edit your post, and replace antiquated with efficient.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 January 2022, 18:20:55 »

The pedal operation is a variation on the traditional hand operated lever or the old umbrella handle type. The pedal operated mechanism is adjusted in exactly the same way as the hand lever... The ratchet/pawl has a fixed range of motion and the cable connecting the lever to the rear cables is adjusted for length as (very rarely) required. The release handle is a cable or chain (on some '70s models) that is basically an elaborate version of the push button on a traditional handbrake lever.

Switching to electric is probably as much to do with cost to manufacture as much as anything else.

I know how they work .... my point was that even MB seem to be moving away from a top hat disc/drum set up in favour of a parking brake that operates on the disc - as you say being cheaper

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 January 2022, 18:23:38 »

;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2022, 18:24:33 »

electric hand/parking/emergency brakes seem to be the norm these days  ..... presumably cheaper.

Two people I know of that have recently passed their driving test had no idea whatsoever how to do a hill start in their now older cars because they'd learned & passed their test in a car with an auto handbrake or with HOLD assist of some sort.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2022, 18:26:20 »

New vehicles use a switch, some cables, an ECU, with at least one electric motor and linkage to do the same job. They're shit. You need to edit your post, and replace antiquated with efficient.

In other words it does it's job and has proved the test of time :D ;)

My daughters Grandland X has one of those electric 'hand' brake with a little button to turn it on when stopped.  It always intrigues me that I  can dis-engage the brakes by just driving against them after being stopped in traffic ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 January 2022, 18:29:43 »

Right upto the point where you can no longer do that...

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 January 2022, 18:29:58 »

My daughters Grandland X has one of those electric 'hand' brake with a little button to turn it on when stopped.  It always intrigues me that I  can dis-engage the brakes by just driving against them after being stopped in traffic ;)

I like the BMW (and probably other manufacturers as well) setup that applies park automatically if you open the drivers door while stationary with the Car in D or R..... I can only guess that was developed for our friends over the pond  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 January 2022, 18:31:54 »

It always intrigues me that I  can dis-engage the brakes by just driving against them after being stopped in traffic ;)

but the throttle is being pressed too to make it disengage

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 January 2022, 18:33:51 »

I like the BMW (and probably other manufacturers as well) setup that applies park automatically if you open the drivers door while stationary with the Car in D or R..... I can only guess that was developed for our friends over the pond  ;D

My ML does this too .... though the R Class before it didn't  :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 January 2022, 18:39:15 »

Yes, like the chiming sound when the doors are open, which I rather like when I have been in the States. :D ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.