Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 17875 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #90 on: 08 August 2015, 17:12:01 »

Apparently both my laptops don't have compatible processors.  :-[
No NX?  Jeez, how old are they!

You may get away with 32bit version (suitable for up to 3Gb RAM (actually preferred for <4Gb RAM)), as this has less CPU restrictions.

Errr Dell E6500's with a bit extra RAM and Disk... I might even switch one on and have a look tgis weekend if I CBA lol

T9600 Core2 Duo 2.8Ghz  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 08 August 2015, 19:17:18 »

Apparently both my laptops don't have compatible processors.  :-[
No NX?  Jeez, how old are they!

You may get away with 32bit version (suitable for up to 3Gb RAM (actually preferred for <4Gb RAM)), as this has less CPU restrictions.

Errr Dell E6500's with a bit extra RAM and Disk... I might even switch one on and have a look tgis weekend if I CBA lol

T9600 Core2 Duo 2.8Ghz  ::)
It'll run it - my T7250 does, and lacks TET which the T9600 has - but might have to be 32 bit. Which limits you to 4Gb, with approx. 3.2-3.5Gb usable.

Well optimised, that should run it very nicely. But it is an antique still ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 08 August 2015, 19:35:15 »

Poxy Edge browser doesn't allow clicking of the smilies above the text box to insert, grrrrrr.

How come I'd not noticed that in 8 months of pretesting :(
Grumpy old man

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 08 August 2015, 20:27:36 »

I have been getting the

"100% complete   
Do not turn off your computer"

Message for 6 hours now. System is i5 5200U, 8GB ram. Sometimes I when this happens when installing regular updates (but never this long) I restart it manually out of impatience. Tempted to do this now
« Last Edit: 08 August 2015, 20:29:42 by SMD »

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 09 August 2015, 00:16:00 »

Well its now 4 hours later and still the same message. So I turned the computer off and back on again and now its moved on to the next stage.  Should have done this 9 hours ago  >:(

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 09 August 2015, 00:23:55 »

Very impressed so far (for a Microsoft Product).

Windows 10 is very fluid, it runs well, everything that I used to run, runs....... It's great.  It look pretty.  Very much like Apple OSx.  Microsoft playing catch-up again!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 09 August 2015, 07:37:36 »

Been running both Laptop and Desktop on Win 10 since release.

No problems, quite like it, both machines boot up faster :y
I've found boot up times to be approximately the same between Win7 and Win10 on the limited tests I've don so far on my primary laptop (8yr old, Core2 Duo, 2Gb RAM) - approx. 13s from off to ready.

Couldn't wait that long..... :o
I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 09 August 2015, 20:45:31 »

Upgraded the father-in-law to-be's laptop to Windows 10 yesterday, painless process has to be said  :y

Think he glad to get rid of Windows 8, amount of hacks in place to get 'traditional' features.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 10 August 2015, 02:12:36 »

quite happy with win 7 wouldn't touch win 8 with bargepole and win 10 looks a bit dodgy on privacy see http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 10 August 2015, 08:35:14 »

Upgraded the father-in-law to-be's laptop to Windows 10 yesterday, painless process has to be said  :y

Think he glad to get rid of Windows 8, amount of hacks in place to get 'traditional' features.
8.1 with all the updates isn't too bad, unless you insist on using a PC like it still had XP (Vista and later, its all about search), but still suffered from its split personality of touch/non-touch.

IMHO, Win10 is an improvement over Win8.1, but Edge in particular has a lot of rough edges still.

My benchmark on user intelligence - my mum - would suggest that Win10 needs a few weeks/months before being recommended.

There is a lot to like - for example, my laptop found my network AIO LaserJet Pro using the printer control panel applet, and not only set up the printer (complete with all the proper icons/images), but also automatically set up the scanner part as well. Its this "just works" stuff that impresses me.  But not quite ready for prime time yet...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 10 August 2015, 08:37:28 »

quite happy with win 7 wouldn't touch win 8 with bargepole and win 10 looks a bit dodgy on privacy see http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/
And Win7 and Win8 don't (by default)? And Google OS's (Chrome and Android)? Apple's IOS?

As data and services move to the cloud, clearly information has to be uploaded.  And in Googles case, its their primary business.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 10 August 2015, 09:41:28 »

And Win7 and Win8 don't (by default)? And Google OS's (Chrome and Android)? Apple's IOS?

As data and services move to the cloud, clearly information has to be uploaded.  And in Googles case, its their primary business.

All of the above have adopted the "customer is the product" model these days. Better get used to giving them a wide berth in future if you value your privacy.  ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #102 on: 10 August 2015, 11:09:33 »

Mother decided in her infinite wisdom to run the upgrade, inspite of my protestation to wait a month or two ::)

Apparently all is well thus far...

Won't be upgrading the 8.1 lappy just yet though ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 10 August 2015, 17:46:43 »

All of the above have adopted the "customer is the product" model these days. Better get used to giving them a wide berth in future if you value your privacy.  ;)
Trouble is, I can't think of a modern OS that doesn't have similar privacy concerns. At least some are honest about it.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.