Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I've been given this for free.  (Read 2604 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: I've been given this for free.
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2023, 20:02:29 »

Just be aware that BMW’s store boost data, amongst many other things. Bear in mind that all of the stored data is available to show if the vehicle has been working outside of its parameters, even during a normal service.
Being so new, I’d hate for you to void your warranty.  :y
the map would be storing the false value though.  that said, as it will impact other stuff, it would be noticeable if anyone looked hard enough...

Never thought of it that way. >:D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2023, 20:09:34 »

I know that when I had those issues with my m140i BMW were pretty relentless (if ultimately unsuccessful) in diagnosing the issue, including giving BMW Krautland remote access to the car to look at various parameters. Also, bear in mind you probably wouldn't be in the first 1000 people they've seen turning up with a mystery cooked engine and out of whack MAP parameters, I bet they're pretty keyed into what to look for.  :-X

All that said, the first day after the warranty ends, I'd go for it. The way I look at it, paint correction, a top level valet and a remap is cheaper than getting the latest updated version of the model and it will make it feel like a new car.

Apparently my yank tank has an extra 100bhp and 100 lbs/ft available if I invest in a remap and a bigger intercooler. I'm waiting until the urge to upgrade takes me, and then I'll get these done.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2023, 20:25:06 »

I know that when I had those issues with my m140i BMW were pretty relentless (if ultimately unsuccessful) in diagnosing the issue, including giving BMW Krautland remote access to the car to look at various parameters. Also, bear in mind you probably wouldn't be in the first 1000 people they've seen turning up with a mystery cooked engine and out of whack MAP parameters, I bet they're pretty keyed into what to look for.  :-X

All that said, the first day after the warranty ends, I'd go for it. The way I look at it, paint correction, a top level valet and a remap is cheaper than getting the latest updated version of the model and it will make it feel like a new car.

Apparently my yank tank has an extra 100bhp and 100 lbs/ft available if I invest in a remap and a bigger intercooler. I'm waiting until the urge to upgrade takes me, and then I'll get these done.

Mixed opinions from the boys on the BMW forums but...

Most seem to say that an ECU remap can be detected but not a piggy back tuning box, for the reasons given by TB.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2023, 21:17:34 »

The ladies won't even notice the actual "hidden" BHP  mods  ::)
just get some "go faster stripes"  ;)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2023, 22:05:03 »

It has burst a couple of times in the past ;D ;D but I’m running a nice safe 1.8 bar at the moment 🤣

How much is this in old money? 8) >:D
                I let it spike to 2bar about 29psi then settle at 1.8 just over 26psi quite a bit but it’s built to take it this time🤣 I’ve learned my lessons the hard way😱💣
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 July 2023, 00:24:05 »

HP fuel pump and injectors from the OM629 will help with the additional fueling >:D
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 July 2023, 09:14:00 »

Just be aware that BMW’s store boost data, amongst many other things. Bear in mind that all of the stored data is available to show if the vehicle has been working outside of its parameters, even during a normal service.
Being so new, I’d hate for you to void your warranty.  :y
the map would be storing the false value though.  that said, as it will impact other stuff, it would be noticeable if anyone looked hard enough...

The Piggyback can fool the map data but, as you say, it can’t fool the other 20+ sensors around the vehicle, ABS wheel speed sensors for example. Amongst many other things, they can compare wheel speed sensors to check acceleration parameters and they don’t have to be that vigilant as the software will flag up as ‘Suspected Tuning’ if certain parameters have been exceeded. Whenever I’ve taken one of mine in, they pull up the VIN and run the actual car data against what it should be. If I’d driven it particularly hard that month I might even get a smile from the dealer as he looked at the data.  :)
As Opti said, none of this affects normal body/nav/electrical parts warranty as nobody can blame a map for an electric window not working.  :y
As mentioned by VXL V6, the vehicle will flag a rolling road dyno run as the GPS wonders why the wheels are spinning at a zillion miles an hour but the car’s location hasn’t changed.  :y

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 July 2023, 10:34:12 »

The ECU wont see any difference in the MAP data as its being tweaked down.

What it will see is an increase in MAF and/or injector durations, hence why this rather crude item is only very mild, any more tweaking and the ECU will throw a fault for MAF overreading or injector durations out of limits.

On a new car with a warranty, you would need to be smoking some seriously good Moroccan special to do it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 July 2023, 10:42:52 »

the ECU will throw a fault for MAF overreading or injector durations out of limits.
Possibly even a P006A, my current favourite  ;D
Grumpy old man

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 July 2023, 12:51:51 »

As someone who works in a BMW dealership dealing with techs all day, my advice is to not do it. We will find out as the system will flag an animist for the tech to investigate and they are obliged by BMW to raise an appropriate “info only case” and a warranty marker is placed on the car. This makes any warranty claims relating to the running gear almost impossible to claim, extends the delay for anything not related to the running gear and makes it unlikely you will be able to trade it back to a dealer as they have to check for the markers as part of their due diligence.

We have had so many people try it, they all fail.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 July 2023, 13:08:58 »

As someone who works in a BMW dealership dealing with techs all day, my advice is to not do it. We will find out as the system will flag an animist for the tech to investigate and they are obliged by BMW to raise an appropriate “info only case” and a warranty marker is placed on the car. This makes any warranty claims relating to the running gear almost impossible to claim, extends the delay for anything not related to the running gear and makes it unlikely you will be able to trade it back to a dealer as they have to check for the markers as part of their due diligence.

Interesting.

Yet quite a number of people will openly ECU remap their M3, M4, or M5 virtually from new. Presumably they think they are unlikely to have any engine failures.

There was a man on Carwow who took his M5 competition out to 1000 BHP. ;D

It was properly rapid. ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 July 2023, 20:22:43 »

Interesting.

Yet quite a number of people will openly ECU remap their M3, M4, or M5 virtually from new. Presumably they think they are unlikely to have any engine failures.

There was a man on Carwow who took his M5 competition out to 1000 BHP. ;D

It was properly rapid. ::)

Yes, but these people are BMW drivers.  Oops! did I say that out loud? ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.