Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I buy one?  (Read 2501 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Can I buy one?
« Reply #15 on: 27 February 2024, 12:38:21 »

I had a look on my employer's lease portal and an xpower MG4 can be had for around £200pcm all in. I'm not sure there's a cheaper way to get from 0-60 in under 4 seconds  :o

My M240i  X-drive will hit 60 in well under 4 seconds and costs me £0 PCM. ::)

But yeah.....£200 PCM for such performance makes it very tempting. Presumably this low figure is linked to a 'high initial payment' on PCP, or similar. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 February 2024, 12:57:29 »

I had a look on my employer's lease portal and an xpower MG4 can be had for around £200pcm all in. I'm not sure there's a cheaper way to get from 0-60 in under 4 seconds  :o

My M240i  X-drive will hit 60 in well under 4 seconds and costs me £0 PCM. ::)

But yeah.....£200 PCM for such performance makes it very tempting. Presumably this low figure is linked to a 'high initial payment' on PCP, or similar. :)
That depreciation has to be paid for at some point. :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2024, 13:13:52 »

::)

Salary sacrifice lease again, so saving around 60% on a regular lease, also no VAT  :y.

I was tempted, but it had to be appliance white which just doesn't interest me. The Smart Barbus #1 is around £275 and offers similar performance in a proper colour 🤔

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2024, 13:20:56 »

The few I MOTed looked okay but the interior was nasty cheap plastic, not sure if they have got better with the new ones.

I suppose if you're on a bit of a tight budget & your after a new/newish car they're perfect.
That's moronic.

If you're on a tight budget you don't buy a newish anything.

A tight budget doesn't necessarily mean small. It does mean that you can't have any unexpected expenses, which for a car requires a long and extensive warranty. Which means as new as you can manage.

New MGs(and Dacias, Hyundais, Toyotas etc) are not meant for the buyers who obsess about 0-60 times, have to upgrade the radio or think that paying £600 extra to have the seat stitching done in platinum rather than titanium coloured thread is good value(or even discernible). The first group are the majority of buyers, the second take their middle aged crisis to BMW, Audi dealers. Those with a real problem will head to Porsche for a real wallet kicking with extra condecension

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2024, 13:48:11 »

This is exactly right. It's all very well saying you should run an older XYorZ but when any kind of minor repair at a garage, or even routine items like suspension bushes runs well into three figures it makes much less sense to buy cheaper older cars.

For a lot of people a £500 bill (easily achieved these days) will quickly become £6-700 by the time the credit card company has had its due.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2024, 14:35:31 »

7 year warranty.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2024, 14:45:28 »

Makes perfect sense to me & the sensible ones amongst us..👍
I just see the RRS as a challenge and once SWMBO finally caves in Bentley Turbo here I come..😂
« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 14:59:10 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2024, 15:00:36 »

This is exactly right. It's all very well saying you should run an older XYorZ but when any kind of minor repair at a garage, or even routine items like suspension bushes runs well into three figures it makes much less sense to buy cheaper older cars.

For a lot of people a £500 bill (easily achieved these days) will quickly become £6-700 by the time the credit card company has had its due.

Economics like these are why large and expensive cars always depreciated quickly, before their value dropped through the floor for the third or fourth owner. The problem now is that all cars have the complicated, expensive and unreliable 'extras' that was only fitted on the high-end stuff. Which makes the margins extra thin for an ordinary car, so even a car less than ten years old can easily need a couple of four figure jobs(£1000 clutches, £1500 timing belts, water damaged electrics etc, etc) that previous owners wouldn't pay for. Just consider what we used to recommend for a 15 year old £1000 Omega, but triple the cost and time involved to do the work at £75/hour.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2024, 16:25:39 »

And as Omegas (as we are an Omega site, some people might still have one ;D) aged, I suspect it was relatively high garage bills for relatively simple work that made them depreciate hard, and in turn made even minor service type work uneconomical in the minds of some - those who argue its not worth spending £800 to sort out the worn out front suspension on a car worth £500...

If you have to rely on garages for virtually everything, old cars don't really work unless you are buying them for their long MOT, then rinse, repeat...
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 February 2024, 22:33:57 »

Even cheap cars like a 1.0 3 cylinder fiesta can get big bills,wet belt change is a 7hr job + parts which at dealer prices is mental money on an 8-10 year old shitbox
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 March 2024, 09:53:10 »

Modern cars fall into a bit of a paradox... They're too complicated to be reliable and too expensive to be disposable.

Fixing Omega suspension properly easily far outweighed the negative effects of not doing so, and was actually an investment as it is a once in 80-120k miles job. Those that bought cheap Omegas without understanding it were largely buying them for the wrong reasons.

Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.