Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: front wishbone bushes  (Read 1531 times)

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
front wishbone bushes
« on: 29 December 2009, 00:14:18 »

got some play in mine,and as it was an advisory for the last mot thinking of changing them for this mot....

how much and where the best place to get them from,or just get the complete wishbone{are the ones on ebay any good} and change the whole lot...

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: front wishbone bushes
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2009, 00:40:25 »

Some say Vx only but I used pattern ones off ebay last year.  Fitted well and are still holding up.  I would suggest doing the drop links at the same time, only a little bit more and as you are in the area it makes sense.

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2009, 00:49:27 »

which ones did you get as there so many on there at different prices...are the drop links much to buy....

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2009, 01:30:03 »

Drop links about £10 a pair off ebay
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2009, 01:33:28 »

I might be on my own here, but the Drop Links will need replacing quite frequently, and it doesn't seem to matter which ones you buy (Original Equipment, or After Market).

Whenever you are tinkering in that area of the car, for the cost and the tiny amount of work, just change them.  That clunking noise just isn't worth it.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2009, 01:47:08 »

a well covered subject this one, so worth a search.

Its no simple task to press bushes in and out without damage. So the usual advice is to buy a pair of complete wish bones( by lemforder) fit those using the guide on here AND FOLLOWING THE CORRECT TORQUING PROCEDURE, with wheels on the ground suspension loaded.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2009, 01:58:50 »

Yep, as said, dont bother replacing just the bushes. Personally decent aftermarket have never let me down, think around the 40 quid mark is the most ive seen paid. The drop links i think arent unreasonable from a dealer, so the V6 has genuine vx droplinks on at present, and 'rubbish' (though never had a bad experience yet) aftermarket wishbones.

hohoho
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2009, 02:35:38 »

there are numerous makes available, the vast majority of the £50 a pair efforts are a gamble on reliability it seems, some to avoid are buypartsbuy and firstline items.

genuine items supplied by GM are something like £230 a side.. however these are made by lemforder and can be had independently for 120 odd a pair but without the GM sticker. A more reiliable solution imho, provided the correct torquing procedure is followed, did i mention the correct torquing procedure? very important that, or they fail early.

AlanC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2009, 11:06:14 »

Hi guys,  I had wishbone play in my '99 Omega 2.5TD.  Easiest (and best) solution is to replace wishbones complete, as well as drop links (while you have it apart).  That saves messing about trying to press out bushes, etc.  Got mine (pattern parts) from a local Auto Factor (Chalmers, Gravesend).  Got pattern MacPherson strut inserts at same time.  Did the job myself (only special tools needed are spring compressor and ball-joint splitter).  All fitted perfectly, passed MOT and have done 16k miles since.  Excellent - no "bump-thumping".  One word of advice on fitting, though:  On 2.5TD models (maybe others, too), the nearside wishbone bolts' heads (on upper side) are inaccessible with normal spanners or sockets, due to oil cooler pipes running over them.  Trick is, once lower nut is loosened, to cut a slot in the bolt end (lower side) and use a big screwdriver in the cut slot to hold bolt steady, while undo-ing nut with a ring spanner.  Doing up is reverse, then torque up, once nipped up.  Whole job - 3 hours solo.  Good luck. ;D

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2009, 14:59:56 »

BPB wishbones are crap

I fitted poly bushes to my original wishbones

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 December 2009, 15:30:05 »

I know some members have fitted poly bushes to there cars as these are supposed to outlast any others.

Turk is whorth a PM as i know he did his but not sure if you can still get hold of them as i think the factory had problems with a fire :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 December 2009, 15:59:54 »

Got mine off Ebay, vauxhallwarehouse I think 3 years ago and they are still fine. I do loads of miles on rough roads too. Considering that they come complete with the lower ball joint and that has done the same amount of work as the bushes have it would be silly to just change the bushes would it not? Quite apart from the fact that they are a pain in the ass to do! The drop arm relay is best bought from VX thenselves cos 2 pattern ones I had failed within months. The VX one is still going strong.
Don't forget that it is recommended to change the wishbone nuts and bolts too!
GudLuk
« Last Edit: 29 December 2009, 16:02:05 by its.ray »
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Mr Stud

• somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 December 2009, 21:22:16 »

cheers people will see how much local motor shop is or go with ebay then....don't really mind how long they last as long as gets through mot ok...while the old wishbones are off can always replace the bushes and know i not have to rush....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.