Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Red battery warning light and no instruments  (Read 15932 times)

GEDFORDM6

• Cleveland
    • View Profile
Red battery warning light and no instruments
« on: 27 October 2019, 13:26:07 »

While driving my 3.0 elite 2000 model the battery warning light came on and I lost all my instruments.I assumed it was an alternator failure and changed it,fault still apparent.With ignition switched on I have no lights on dash.I then start engine and have no instruments and the batt warning light on.Car drives normal and shows 14.5 volts at battery when running.Any help grateful . Thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Red battery warning light and no instruments
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2019, 16:19:44 »

There's a starting/charging guide.

Work your way through it and report back with the results :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2019, 17:51:08 »

I'd be running through all the fuses...
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2019, 20:07:02 »

I'd be running through all the fuses...

Yep, sounds like the charging is fine but the supply to the instrument panel has failed.

Try re-seating it on its connector if the fuses are all ok.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2019, 23:30:21 »

I realise this is over a month old - but I had exactly the same last week on a trip to France.

Check fuse F15. On a facelift at least, if it blows, you lose speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge and engine temp on the dash. You also lose most trip computer functions.  The dash remains illuminated (if the lights are on) and the car runs normally.

My fuse F15 had blown. I replaced F15 with the horn fuse (F17) but that blew again within half an hour. I replaced it again, and it blew a few seconds after ignition on. I then spent an hour or so pouring over the Haynes manual, only to discover that F15 supplies lots of circuits including A/C, Climate control, Headlamp levelling, Rear suspension levelling, dash etc, etc. So with no diagnostic equipment in the car I had a 14 hour drive back through France and the UK yesterday without speedo so I won't be surprised if I receive a few love letters from the rozzers after XMAS. Thankfully I avoided running out of fuel (due to no fuel gauge).

On thinking about it this morning I realised that blowing a 20A fuse would require quite a heavy load - a pump, motor or compressor - Unlikely to be the dash or any lighting unless there was a dead short or wiring problem. The LC uses the same pump as the Omega for suspension levelling, and has a tendancy to blow fuses when they get old/tired. So I unplugged the compressor, replaced the fuse and tried again. So far the fuse is Ok.

So if anyone has the same symptoms (loss of all dash instruments) and F15 repeatedly blows, try unplugging the compressor. It's under the front bumper drivers side infront of the OSF wheel sh1t shield.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2019, 23:45:36 »

I realise this is over a month old - but I had exactly the same last week on a trip to France.

Check fuse F15. On a facelift at least, if it blows, you lose speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge and engine temp on the dash. You also lose most trip computer functions.  The dash remains illuminated (if the lights are on) and the car runs normally.

My fuse F15 had blown. I replaced F15 with the horn fuse (F17) but that blew again within half an hour. I replaced it again, and it blew a few seconds after ignition on. I then spent an hour or so pouring over the Haynes manual, only to discover that F15 supplies lots of circuits including A/C, Climate control, Headlamp levelling, Rear suspension levelling, dash etc, etc. So with no diagnostic equipment in the car I had a 14 hour drive back through France and the UK yesterday without speedo so I won't be surprised if I receive a few love letters from the rozzers after XMAS. Thankfully I avoided running out of fuel (due to no fuel gauge).

On thinking about it this morning I realised that blowing a 20A fuse would require quite a heavy load - a pump, motor or compressor - Unlikely to be the dash or any lighting unless there was a dead short or wiring problem. The LC uses the same pump as the Omega for suspension levelling, and has a tendancy to blow fuses when they get old/tired. So I unplugged the compressor, replaced the fuse and tried again. So far the fuse is Ok.

So if anyone has the same symptoms (loss of all dash instruments) and F15 repeatedly blows, try unplugging the compressor. It's under the front bumper drivers side infront of the OSF wheel sh1t shield.

What about your heated seats?  Did you use them in France and havent used them since?  That's probably the most common issue with Fuse 15.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2019, 00:25:57 »

What about your heated seats?  Did you use them in France and havent used them since?  That's probably the most common issue with Fuse 15.

Heated seats was going to be my second guess if the fuse had still blown after unplugging the compressor.

I did check the seats were on '0' before replacing the fuse a second time whilst in France. I also turned the A/C and climate control to 'OFF'. The fuse still blew, so whilst I couldn't completely rule them out as the cause, it did reduce the likely-hood IMV.

And knowing what I do about how the rear suspension compressor is wired in the LC, I'd kind of convinced myself that VX/Opel would be stupid enough to wire it in such a way that it would take out a PITA system to diagnose on the Omega. In this case it looks like I was right.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2019, 22:02:37 »

'dangle berries' - Its not (only?) the Compressor.

I've also unplugged the rear seat heating harness, and the fuse has blown twice since. If Haynes is to be believed front heated seats don't come of F15 - they use F14.

F15 seems to blow after about 40 minutes of driving. Next step is to unplug the front memory seat harness (assuming that doesn't upset the airbags), the cruise control, and the tow bar harness. After that I guess it's the front and rear car level control sensors and the A/C compressor.

Does anyone have access to an accurate 2001 RHD Omega Elite Saloon X30XE wiring diagram? I've seen snippets on the web so there must be one. I'm a bit nervous of relying on the Haynes manual because its only up to 1999 so presumably pre face lift.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2019, 00:23:19 »

Owners handbook should also detail the fuse allocation.

I have a hard copy facelift diagram set that I may be prepared to part with...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2019, 00:49:44 »

Also worth dropping the fuse panel to check for a rogue wire behind it...

Only two screws and it pulls away ;)

All the permanent lives and switched lives are fed from two of the fuses next to the battery and expanded into the appropriate fuses under the dash. Corrosion or butchery in the wrong place will cause all sorts of chaos  :-\
« Last Edit: 28 December 2019, 00:53:35 by Doctor Gollum »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2019, 14:15:38 »

Here's a definitive list of circuits to check:

S2 Light switch.
S7 Reversing lamp switch.
Instrument cluster.
MK engine cooling - relay box blower M28
MK engine cooling - radiator blower M4
MK engine cooling - cooling/aircon relays: coolant pump, coolant pump timer, radiator blower M11/M12/M54/M4/M28, aircon compressor, fan management.
Telephone.
Warning buzzer.
TID/MID.
Aircon.
Electronic Climate Control.
Car Level Control - control unit/sensor (same unit connected mechanically to the right hand trailing arm).
Glove box light.
Headlight levelling.
Interior lamp (all).
Sun roof.
Window lifters.
Exterior mirrors.
Seat heating.
Seat/mirror memory control relay (under driver seat).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2019, 14:19:55 »

I would start with a stuck or sticking radiator fan. Note that they will possibly spin freely when cold, so up to temp disconnect the battery and check again... worth comparing resistance before and after... a slight rise once warm would be reasonable, but a significant increase on a particular fan will highlight your culprit. :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2019, 16:21:35 »

S2 Light switch.
Instrument cluster.
MK engine cooling - cooling/aircon relays: coolant pump, coolant pump timer, radiator blower M11/M12/M54/M4/M28, aircon compressor, fan management.
Telephone.
Warning buzzer.
TID/MID.
Aircon.
Car Level Control - control unit/sensor (same unit connected mechanically to the right hand trailing arm).
Glove box light.
Headlight levelling.
Interior lamp (all).
Sun roof.
Window lifters.
Exterior mirrors.
Seat heating.
Does this fuse also power the auxiliary sockets? A recurring issue is small children dropping pennies into the rear aux socket. :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2019, 16:39:33 »

That list is off the official wiring diagram as to what that fuse feeds ;)

If it's not on the list, it's either not applicable ie Scandinavia or not powered by that fuse.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2019, 18:51:44 »

S2 Light switch.
Instrument cluster.
Telephone.
Warning buzzer.
TID/MID.
Aircon.
Glove box light.
Headlight levelling.
Interior lamp (all).
Sun roof.
Window lifters.
Exterior mirrors.
Seat heating.

Thanks. Haven't had a chance to do much testing today.

Mine is an Auto, and Haynes says the reversing lights are fed from elsewhere - no S7. So I think I can rule that out?

Interior lights are interesting. They still work even though F15 is blown. I assume E41 is the light cluster above the mirror? The rear half comes on when you open a front door, and the front bulbs come on with ignition on and you press one of the buttons. Both rear courtesy lights work correctly too - as do the door puddle lights.

Can confirm the exterior light switch (S2) doesn't illuminate, and nor does the glovebox light.

Rear seat heating is unplugged under the seats - haven't located the relays (K65/K66) yet to unplug them. Front seat heating isn't off F15 according to Haynes and the picture on the Fusebox lid?

Fans are possible - I did check them all last week using the Fan test socket and they all ran as expected with both Ign on and off. I couldn't get the fuse to blow.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2019, 18:54:10 by LC0112G »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.