Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Omega 2.5 CDX that isn't any more!  (Read 7048 times)

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
My Omega 2.5 CDX that isn't any more!
« on: 05 August 2008, 17:40:16 »

Some of you may recognise this from ABS but apologies to the rest of you if you don't approve but it was done for a reason.

I bought this from Ebay in March with dead engine, in fact the bottom end was seized solid, it had black syrup for oil.

I also had this left over from an abandoned project to fit it in to an Opel Monza....

So I'm afraid my Omega now has 23DTR engine from a late Carlton and a 4 speed auto gearbox from an Opel Monza.

It kind of looks like this under the bonnet now.....

I realise this may be deeply offensive to the die hard Omega fraternity but it's actually not a bad car. It will cruise at 90mph + all day long and is saving me a fortune in fuel costs.  :)
« Last Edit: 05 August 2008, 17:41:15 by ajax »
Drives: Omega CDX 2.3 diesel auto Hybrid, Opel Monza 24v Manual

JueV6

• Omega Knight
  • Kent
    • View Profile
Re: My Omega 2.5 CDX that isn't any more!
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2008, 17:45:13 »

See I was right, It has been reborn ;D ;D ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2008, 19:19:59 »

Followed the story on ABS  :y An Omega that escaped the crusher has to be good news!

Is it going around Marham in the future???  ;D
« Last Edit: 05 August 2008, 19:20:36 by VXL_V6 »

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2008, 20:06:50 »

Looks like a good job done :y How long did it take.
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2008, 20:35:14 »

Looks like a good job done :y How long did it take.

Surprsingly not that long, probably about 6-8 weeks of maybe 3 evenings a week. Unfortunately the first gearbox I fitted was dead so it took me a while to find another, ended up getting one from another ABS member in Scotland.

The only down side is that there's not quite enough slip in the TC so you have to get to 10mph or so before the turbo spins up. Excellent on the motorway though, especially with the CC on!

Followed the story on ABS  :y An Omega that escaped the crusher has to be good news!

Is it going around Marham in the future???  ;D

Well the Monza won't be this time round so possibly! ;D Hopefully the Monza will be back for next April though, as long as there is another Marham in April! More welding to be done though! :(

FRE07962128

« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2008, 22:28:51 »

Hello Ajax, and we all warmly welcome someone who can resurect a neglected miggy and save it from an early death! :y :y :y

Well done, keep it going and you will have a car to be proud of. 8-) 8-)

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2008, 22:42:52 »

good job that, i had a carlton 23dtr, that engine seems to go forever. well done.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Brian T

• Intermediate Member
  • Addiscombe, Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2008, 23:08:01 »

well done...and to think I was worried about changing a cam belt on a 4 pot!
Illegitimis nil carborundum

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2008, 09:06:23 »

well done...and to think I was worried about changing a cam belt on a 4 pot!

Well I wouldn't mind doing a cambelt on a four pot but would rather do a cam chain on a C30SE engine than the belt on a V6!

I mean, how much do you have to remove just to get to the damn thing. That said, now I've been there I guess it wouldn't be half as bad next time.

Opel do seem to have tried their best to make it as difficult to work on as possible though, especially considering it's very, very similar to the Carlton underneath the pretty bits.

good job that, i had a carlton 23dtr, that engine seems to go forever. well done.  :y

Well I used the Carlton for a month before the MOT ran out and I couldn't believe just how well it pulled in top gear, I was really shocked, that and I was used to 20mpg on a run from my Jeep it was a winner all round.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2008, 09:09:11 by ajax »

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2008, 22:10:19 »

I do take my hat off to you with what you have done :y
It's one thing to go from a petrol to a bigger petrol but to go from a petrol to a diesel good job.
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2008, 22:31:37 »

I do take my hat off to you with what you have done :y
It's one thing to go from a petrol to a bigger petrol but to go from a petrol to a diesel good job.

Thanks. TBH because of the type of old school diesel it is it's a lot more straight forward than you would think.

It took some frigging around with the flexi-plate and the V6 starter motor to make it all work though. Yee har, ride em cowboy! ::)

nickomega

• lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2008, 22:37:30 »

good job mate glad u saved her

DaveDempsey

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2008, 09:23:53 »

Thats awesome, legend.

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2009, 17:33:05 »

Well it's been a long time since I updated this but thought I'd add a few more details for those that have nothing better to do in their lives than read my drivel! :lol:

I have been wanting to restore the A/C for quite a while on this but until recently hadn't seen a good way forward as the engine was only ever manufactured using the old fashioned V belts as well as having the alternator on the passenger side. So I decided to bite the bullet and attempt to convert it to serpentine belt which also required swapping the alternator and compressor to alternate sides of the engine, mainly so I could use the original plumbing and wiring for the A/C.

The switch was a bigger job than I expected as being a diesel it also has the brake servo vacuum pump on the back of the alternator which is oil fed from the engine sump. So I had to re-route a few cables and pipes as well as sorting out fixings for the compressor and alternator. Anyway, I got it done but on starting the engine the tensioner was vibrating in a destructive sort of way. I couldn't leave it like that as it would destroy itself in no time. So I've added an adjustable stabiliser bar.

So the set up is now using a machined down gold top (30NE) crank pulley and drivers side ancillary bracket. A C30SE water pump, V6 Omega PAS pump and compressor. I've also used the A/C plumbing from a 2.2L Omega so just needs a re-gas and testing!

Unfortunately it's recently started spitting water out of the header tank which I thought was caused by a crack round the filler hole. After replacing the tank and cap it's still doing it so I suspect a crack in the head. I've managed to source a replacement head from a nice chap in Kent so when the weather improves I might have a crack at it. It only causes a problem when cruising at above legal speeds and has never actually over heated so is liveable for now.

I've also fitted a 3.45:1 diff from a diesel Omega so it revs nice and low now. It's done about 9000 miles since being built and is now my daily driver, and I really like it!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2009, 18:39:36 »

I dont know if anyone else has noticed this, but it seems that there is not shortage of really nice roadworthy Omegas, quite a lot of them facelifts, that get stripped for parts. Everyone always says 'worth more as parts, mate' fair point. But absolutely fantastic to see someone tackle a project that most of us would have run away crying from!

Ten out of ten!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.