Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Omega 2.5 CDX that isn't any more!  (Read 7047 times)

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: My Omega 2.5 CDX that isn't any more!
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2009, 18:42:20 »

Yeah-great work and technical expertise  :o

Can you do mine?  ;D

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 December 2009, 08:31:01 »

I dont know if anyone else has noticed this, but it seems that there is not shortage of really nice roadworthy Omegas, quite a lot of them facelifts, that get stripped for parts. Everyone always says 'worth more as parts, mate' fair point.
There are still a lot of good cars out there so even cars with relatively minor faults are still worth more in parts. The same thing happened with Monzas, Senators and Carltons but they appear to be coming out the other side now. It's surprising how fast Omega numbers are dropping when you look at Autotrader though.

But absolutely fantastic to see someone tackle a project that most of us would have run away crying from!

Ten out of ten!
Thanks, but not as difficult as you might think once you have the momentum going with the project.
Drives: Omega CDX 2.3 diesel auto Hybrid, Opel Monza 24v Manual

Slurpy

• Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2009, 13:56:56 »

Very impressive indeed.

A project where I would certainly run away from. [smiley=laugh.gif]

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2010, 22:58:51 »

Well I finally bit the bullet and replaced the cylinder head and gasket this week and it seems to have cured it. I still don't know whether it's a crack in the head or gasket failure though. I will get the old head pressure tested at some point just out of curiosity.

I suspect the head had been off before though as it all came apart very easily with the gasket staying completely intact. The only odd thing was that No. 2 cylinder seemed to be a whole lot cleaner than the other but I don't know whether that was me gripping it to lift it or something else. There was also evidence of water contamination around one of the bolts and the gasket area around it but it didn't seem to penetrate to any of the bores. Anyway, a few pictures.

Damage to No.4 piston from an unknown cause.

Head bolts, notice the one rusty bolt.

The head, notice the rusty bolt hole at the top second from left, also the clean valve faces of No.2 cylinder.

It now appears to be cured, no pressurised coolant and normal running temperatures (which it had before).

This was a challenge though as the engine has been modified so much that I had no timing marks to set the valve timing by. You shouldn't need to I know, but whilst trying to hold a 37Kg head at virtually arms length I broke the cam sprocket support off the top of the chain guide. That allowed the sprocket to drop and the chain to fall off the crank. Then I discovered that the timing mark for the cam sprocket is also on the bit I broke off. So it's been timed by feel, eyesight and guestimation.

The broken bit!

So after all this effort I'm going to run it for a while and see how it behaves. If it goes wrong again I will drive it down to the crusher myself!!

I even got round to adjusting the head light height and replacing the batteries in the alarm power sounder, still doesn't make any noise though! :(

Anyway, now this is done it gives me the chance to build the engine that I need to bolt my twin turbos to for my Monza! ;D
« Last Edit: 23 January 2010, 23:00:15 by ajax »

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2010, 10:40:26 »

A very enjoyable and interesting thread  8-) :y :y

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2010, 15:09:17 »

Woo hoo, working A/C.

So what plonker designed the location of the face lift A/C dryer then? I ended up popping out the two little plastic plugs in the side of the fan housing so I could pass a socket extension bar through to get to the bracket bolts. It's like a fridge in the car now, well when I switch it on it is! ;D

It doesn't seem to mind that the HBV is longer in place either although we will see how it does when high summer gets here.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2010, 15:10:17 by ajax »

Will B

• Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2010, 18:36:10 »

Total respect for effort that must of been to change it all, I'm bitching cos I have to replace a tensioner on mine but you have re-designed the whole belt system lol crazy.

wish mine had the nice mod you made to it  :y

hope you get the head sorted soon
Wants an mv6!

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2010, 22:31:25 »

You have my total admiration & respect mate! Awesome!!! :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 May 2010, 08:34:53 »

Total respect for effort that must of been to change it all, I'm bitching cos I have to replace a tensioner on mine but you have re-designed the whole belt system lol crazy.
It did have me scratching my head for a while and I had a problem with bolts working loose but all sorted now! ;D

wish mine had the nice mod you made to it  :y

hope you get the head sorted soon

Ah, the head is now well and truly sorted, replacement head and gasket sorted it over 4000 miles a go. :y

You have my total admiration & respect mate! Awesome!!! :y

Thank you! :-[ 8-)

Just the bottom arms, discs and drop links to do now. ::)

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2010, 14:41:48 »

Have followed this with interest.......did something similar years ago with a 2.9 V6 granada to a perkins turbo-diesel. Fantastic piece of ingenuity and perseverence, buddy, my conversion took me £700 and 8 months of (part time) fettling, but was a worthwhile conversion in the end, making an expensive luxury car relatively cheap to run (45mpg) with good performance. (only 100mph max, but all day long regardless of hills, etc.)

you are to be congratulated, mate. :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 07 May 2010, 14:42:36 by Sixstring »
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

ajax

• Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2010, 19:25:03 »

Have followed this with interest.......did something similar years ago with a 2.9 V6 granada to a perkins turbo-diesel. Fantastic piece of ingenuity and perseverence, buddy, my conversion took me £700 and 8 months of (part time) fettling,
Well the engine went in nearly two years a go and quickly became very stable, but then I wanted to get the A/C working and that opened a whole world of problems that have taken me a while to resolve. It now owes me around £500 but that includes buying the car.

but was a worthwhile conversion in the end, making an expensive luxury car relatively cheap to run (45mpg) with good performance. (only 100mph max, but all day long regardless of hills, etc.)
This is the same. The interesting thing is that it has the same gear ratios as a 4 speed automatic 3.0L Monza GSE yet in top gear from 60mph to 100mph it accelerates far better than the Monza.

you are to be congratulated, mate. :y :y :y
Thank you....
« Last Edit: 07 May 2010, 19:27:30 by ajax »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 May 2010, 19:27:35 »

Glad it's all still going well  :y :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.