Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steamy windows  (Read 3048 times)

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
Steamy windows
« on: 21 January 2010, 16:37:34 »

After frolicking about on the rear seat with an Icelandic blond with gorgeous blue eyes.................................no hang on, reality check, after the car gets warm and the heater kicks in the windows start to steam up badly, this has only just started to happen and i suspect the heater matrix may well be leaking as there is no damp in the car at all, so i was wondering, A, if my prognosis is correct and B, what sort of a job is it to change? Has anyone here done this before and if so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Jez   

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Steamy windows
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2010, 16:41:38 »

Howto here mate http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1262554909

Mine took about 3 hours (if my memory is correct) all in.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2010, 16:42:09 by dbug »
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

djac

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2001/Y Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2010, 16:42:43 »

Might be worth checking the pollen filter and scuttle drain first....

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2010, 17:02:34 »

Thanks dbug and djac, scuttle and drain already checked so looks very much like the matrix  :( It may just have to wait for the warmer weather though as a drive job!!!  ::)

Impact Pete

• Intermediate Member
  • Derby
    • Elite V6 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
    • Custom Flightcase manufacture
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2010, 17:07:02 »

Do you find that with the blowers on and aircon off it never seems to clear? And then only clears when aircon is on with heat?
www.impactcls.co.uk - Flight Case Manufacture

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2010, 20:15:23 »

Do you find that with the blowers on and aircon off it never seems to clear? And then only clears when aircon is on with heat?

Same here really, and I've got an estate and saloon does it on both.
Doesn't clear very well with ECO mode selected, but does when aircon on :y

Mick
« Last Edit: 21 January 2010, 20:15:54 by MickAP »

rustym95

• Omega Knight
  • Rotherham south yorks
  • carn't get up dont go out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2010, 20:20:28 »

stop doging and it will be fine ;D check the vents in the boot.
Omega's is a life not just a car. also do ecu codes read and wiped or rest.., fix LCD tv & DVD recorders PS3's and most electrical equipment just e-mail me.

johnnybbad

• chester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2010, 22:13:14 »

Could be a leaking glass / sunroof, has it had a new windscreen recently ?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2010, 22:15:11 »

After frolicking about on the rear seat with an Icelandic blond with gorgeous blue eyes.................................no hang on, reality check, after the car gets warm and the heater kicks in the windows start to steam up badly, this has only just started to happen and i suspect the heater matrix may well be leaking as there is no damp in the car at all, so i was wondering, A, if my prognosis is correct and B, what sort of a job is it to change? Has anyone here done this before and if so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Jez   
Matrix wouldn`t be leaking then :-?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

nonames

• Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2010, 22:39:40 »

the aircon acts as the demister too

when my windows steam up i just turn it on for 20secs and it clears straight away - this is with the aircon need gassing

doubt its the matrix, just one of theses things

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2010, 05:05:57 »

Have you tried looking to see if it is using any coolant?
If there is a coolant leak from the heater matrix, or from anywhere else the coolant level would drop.
No coolant loss = no leaks.
The weather is presently humid and even opening the doors or windows allows damp humid air in. The boot is the worst offender because any damp at all in there will get into the car. There is no heater in the boot to dry it out either.
Its always a problem at this time of year and I just accept it for what it is, use the climate control on auto and it soon clears.
I dried my 'thought to be dry' boot out with an electric blower heater. I lifted the carpets and trim and the metal surfaces under the carpet and side trim were damp. The carpet and side trim tops were dry!
Same applies inside the car.
Have another looky at my suggestions.
GudLuk
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2010, 08:48:12 »

Lets apply a bit of insider info......not let me see, where did I put it.....

...ahh yes, here it is:

Field Remedy: 1417
Subject: Electronic air conditioning ECC - Window fogging after engine start
Models: Engines:
Option:
Omega-B 2000...2002 All ECC
Complaint: The windscreen will suddenly start to become fogged at inner side caused due to increasing humidity inside the car.
Cause: At outside temperatures of 5 ° C and less with a battery which is not fully charged, recirculation flap is switching to recirculation mode if the supply voltage drops below 9 V for short time.
Production: As of VIN W0L0VBF6921013332 a corrective action has been introduced in production.

Remedy:
In case of customer complaints see the following instruction. This failure can be identified when the problem disappears after switching-on and off the air recirculation function. Procedure: First switch on Auto mode, switch-on the air recirculation by pressing the button A once (3 round arrows will be indicated, without "A" in the middle). Now the ECC will recognize the correct flap position. Wait 1-2 s and then switch-off the air recirculation by pressing the button A again.

FunctionalGroup: D - Heating/Ventilation/Air conditioning
Complaint Group: 13 - No/Poor Function
Trouble Code: Non

Jim427

• Blackburn, Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2010, 12:08:05 »

Hi. New to Omegas. Picked up my 2001 2.6 CDX on 31/12/09 and drove back from Peterbough to Blackburn. After the first few miles, all the windows steamed up so badly I had to stop to try to sort out the climate control functions. Of course, the temperature outside was below freezing so the A/C compressor was switched out. Normally the compressor will dehumidify as well and dispence with any misting. At the time I thought the problem was because the car had been outside in all the snow and had just got damp. However this misting kept on happening during the 160 mile trip even though the heater was working fine, and I did find with the system set to demist, and the fan speed reduced a notch or two, possibly allowing the hot air to move slower over the windscreen, things improved. Moving on a week or so, and when the snow cleared, I did one of my favourite tricks to reduce misting of windows, clean the interior glass with Auto Glym window polish. Although it does not cure the problem, it does seem to reduce it. Also I had the boot mat out to clean and spruce up, so that was in the house for a week or so, and could have dryed out. Having a look around the boot for answers, I removed the first aid kit cover, and found the luggage net rolled up infront of the extractor vents, which I removed and placed were it should be. The upshot of all this, is that the misting problem seems to have disappeared, at least for the time being.  Don't know if this helps at all, but I suppose having rear fold down seats does not help, as the boot is not sealed off from the passenger compartment properly, and could easily allow dampness in. Good luck, best wishes, Jim

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2010, 17:24:03 »

Lets apply a bit of insider info......not let me see, where did I put it.....

...ahh yes, here it is:

Field Remedy: 1417
Subject: Electronic air conditioning ECC - Window fogging after engine start
Models: Engines:
Option:
Omega-B 2000...2002 All ECC
Complaint: The windscreen will suddenly start to become fogged at inner side caused due to increasing humidity inside the car.
Cause: At outside temperatures of 5 ° C and less with a battery which is not fully charged, recirculation flap is switching to recirculation mode if the supply voltage drops below 9 V for short time.
Production: As of VIN W0L0VBF6921013332 a corrective action has been introduced in production.

Remedy:
In case of customer complaints see the following instruction. This failure can be identified when the problem disappears after switching-on and off the air recirculation function. Procedure: First switch on Auto mode, switch-on the air recirculation by pressing the button A once (3 round arrows will be indicated, without "A" in the middle). Now the ECC will recognize the correct flap position. Wait 1-2 s and then switch-off the air recirculation by pressing the button A again.

FunctionalGroup: D - Heating/Ventilation/Air conditioning
Complaint Group: 13 - No/Poor Function
Trouble Code: Non

Tried this today.......oddly enough it worked, well for about 3 miles, then started to steam up again. Resorted to aircon on again.

Mick

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2010, 17:59:29 »

Every time I see this topic I think of Tony Joe White & Tina Turner! ;)
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.