Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new custom stainless exhaust  (Read 2666 times)

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
Re: new custom stainless exhaust
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2009, 19:32:25 »

theres a member on the forum who has had a nice stainless steel exhaust system done for his 3.2 its the same as standard i believe but just s/s (catback system)

i would just go cat back and remove the centre silencers and use a Y piece to enter the backbox keeping it similar to the standard setup!

That'll be me.

You need to bear in mind one thing on the "current" picture you have: Although the pipes would seem to conjoin toward the rear of the car they don't; the two pipes still run independently through the aft-most box.

In essence that means that your pictures "current, "1" & "4" are all the same in terms of configuration; i.e. they are seperate pipes all the way back.

Don't de-cat it, keep them seperate all the way back and noise is not equal to power! A couple of people on here have heard, and driven, my car since the set below was added and it is not a loud set up; a little more "rumbly", but very subtle. A decent diameter (2.5") all the way back through some free flowing boxes will give you more oomph.

Here's a couple of pics to show you how standard you can still make it look; the rear cylindrical box you see has actually got two discrete straight-through pipes running through the length of it. I had mine done at long-life for about £400 and built onto the car. They are a continuous line all the way back from the cats and as they are guaranteed for life they'll never need to come off.

bappy

• HAVANT, Hants
  • Don't fart on the leather upholstery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 April 2009, 12:55:12 »

thanks for the advice guys. I will be going with option 1 then.

re the current set up, the previous owner took the car to sabrepower for a 'custom' stainless backbox he paid >£300 for it. idiot. it is joined by a 'Y' piece if you can call it that. I've put a diagram on the photobucket album.  it litterally has both pipes directly oposing one another...

I will be going cat back with stainless pipes as straight as possible. what diameter should I got for? 2.5"? or should I encourage backpressure with a narrower pipe, say 1.75"?

My aunt's boyfriend will be making me the backboxes too so any advice on diameter of the box itself, length of the box and diameter/length of the exit pipe? I will have 2 identical boxes side by side.
If at first you dont succeed, Rev it harder!

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2009, 15:42:27 »

Years ago on both my RS2000 and 3 litre capri i had custom made exhausts made out of 2.5 inch copper tube, they both had a glourious sound, a sort of muffled roar for want of a better discription, far better than any Janspeed or Peco system of the time, the downside IIRC is that it is not legal for exhausts to be made from copper but back in those days we seemed to get away with far more than we can today. Bring back the good old days  ::)

bappy

• HAVANT, Hants
  • Don't fart on the leather upholstery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 April 2009, 13:28:12 »

hmmm.... but copper painted black with high temperature enamel?? who would know???

why does copper sound better and why is it illegal???
If at first you dont succeed, Rev it harder!

jamiro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2011, 04:14:28 »

Hi can you tell me how to remove the car mufflers? You mentioned here that you removed it, can you teach me how thanks

spam url link removed by admin
« Last Edit: 31 August 2011, 07:15:20 by hotel21 »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.