Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Multiple Monitors?  (Read 2922 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Using Multiple Monitors?
« Reply #15 on: 09 March 2020, 18:20:11 »

OK, its got an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.9Ghz and can support 3 displays.  I assume that includes the laptop screen?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/76308/intel-core-i5-4300u-processor-3m-cache-up-to-2-90-ghz.html

The display adapter is Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DAC Type: Internal
Adapter String: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
Bios Info: Intel Video BIOS
Total Available Graphics Memory: 2176 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 128 MB
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 2048 MB
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2020, 07:45:26 »

Yup that'll include the internal display. So you can run two externals, probably three if you use a USB->DVI adapter as well; get a USB-3 one like this (this is the exact one I've used): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Graphics-Adapter-DisplayLink-DL-3100-Chipset-Black/dp/B00A2E1MQA

That'll give you three external monitors and if you need more than that .. you're probably making billions on the stock market and can afford a better computer  :P ;D (FWIW I find two monitors ideal, three starts to get a bit 'wide' and confusing, and four would be insane neck-ache!)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 March 2020, 12:34:12 »

Thanks Aaron, as ever these things turn out to be more complicated than I initially think.   :)

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 10 March 2020, 13:36:26 »

Not so hard though really - a new cable (displayport->whatever your monitor has) and a USB->DVI adapter plus cable and screen and you're rocking on three monitors :)

Don't, whatever you do, buy three "Ultrawide" monitors though.. I have two and it's a bit like watching a game of tennis already! Actually, a pair of these mini LG Ultrawides would probably do you nicely, as they're quite a bit wider than a normal screen - ideal for spreadsheets for the office self abusers, as our venerable leader would say  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 March 2020, 17:00:04 »

Given the age of that, possibly not USB3 or Thunderbolt or similar, so you might be tied to whatever ports are on laptop - from that era, normally VGA and HDMI (or mini HDMI), possibly DP/Min DP.

Digital outputs (HDMI, DP etc) are preferred over analogue (VGA), if you have a choice.

And aaronjob's advice about 3 24" 16:9 displays is good, unless its a simulator games machine (in which case, Intel graphics wont cut the mustard)
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 March 2020, 23:07:13 »

Yup that'll include the internal display. So you can run two externals, probably three if you use a USB->DVI adapter as well; get a USB-3 one like this (this is the exact one I've used): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Graphics-Adapter-DisplayLink-DL-3100-Chipset-Black/dp/B00A2E1MQA

That'll give you three external monitors and if you need more than that .. you're probably making billions on the stock market and can afford a better computer  :P ;D (FWIW I find two monitors ideal, three starts to get a bit 'wide' and confusing, and four would be insane neck-ache!)

That is why I've replaced my 4 monitors for an LG 43" 4k monitor that has 4 display ports & a USB-C input & one of the screen modes splits into 4 HD windows which is how I use it, but where I have a 4k video mode on my DSLR it means I use it for full playback.

https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-43UD79

The cheapest place I could find was in Germany & I had it delivered from there. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 March 2020, 00:45:29 »

That's a serious bit of kit!  :y

My monitors are slightly different and are a mish mash of whatever I have found nearest/cheapest on facebook.  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 March 2020, 09:07:44 »

https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-43UD79

The cheapest place I could find was in Germany & I had it delivered from there. :y

Nice thing that.   8)

Also, I might be out of touch with reality, but even at rip off Britain prices it.didnt seem bad for what you get.  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 March 2020, 19:21:23 »

If you havn't got loads of space for several monitors than a couple of those like Rods has would be ideal.   ???  :y

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.