Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Engine Start... any opinions?  (Read 3667 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Remote Engine Start... any opinions?
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2013, 23:27:53 »

My remote car warming system comprises of three simple components:-

1) Extension lead
2) Fan heater
3) Time switch

Put them all together, adjust the time switch for when you'd like the system to start operating and that's it!  ;)

Simple!!  :y :y :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2013, 01:58:37 »

One of the Glasgow based lads had this feature fitted to his Omega, and was showing it at the Stirling meet many years ago. Looked quite neat, and if I remember correctly, if car was driven off without the key inserted then it cut the engine after a few seconds.
Simples.

I had presumed any system worth having would have to have that feature as standard as part if the package.

...so, thinking to through. Cars running with remote start activated. Driver leaves the house, gets in car. What does he do, I guess turns off via the remote start fob, then insert car key and starts as normal...?

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 05 December 2013, 02:05:27 »

Also, I presume there's a fail safe so it won't start by accident if the bonnet is up?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 December 2013, 08:33:40 »

I wonder if there is a better way?

As well as using more fuel there are other aspects which have to be taken in to account.  If bypassing the immobiliser then you risk voiding the insurance in the event of a theft for example.

The Leaf uses an electric heater and can be turned on remotely or via a timer.  So currently I have it set to come on at 0630 to defrost the car and then I heat it up before I get in through an app on the phone.

In the northern US states and Canada they plug their cars in to stop the oil and antifreeze ruining the car engine.  An element runs underneath the engine.  There also exists air blower heaters designed for cars in long term storage to prevent damage from damp I guess.  It would not take a lot to wire such a device in to a car with a bower, say on the back shelf, to a camping style 3 pin plug to an outlet in the garage or on the driveway.  A timer can be used to set it to come on at a specific time or even a remote switch.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2013, 10:16:55 »

Electric pre-heater on a time switch or, as said, spare key and leave it locked and running. :y

Can't see why you'd bypass the factory immobiliser to fit a chav accessory, TBH, and wouldn't want it starting without me in the car anyway. Also, bear in mind that unless it's on your private driveway you're committing the offence of quitting if you leave a car running unattended.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 05 December 2013, 10:21:08 »

Fitting a runlock is a good compromise then, as the car shuts itself down if you try to drive it. Doesn't affect the integrity of the immobiliser/alarm as it isn't connected to it :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 December 2013, 10:22:31 »

Fitting a runlock is a good compromise then, as the car shuts itself down if you try to drive it. Doesn't affect the integrity of the immobiliser/alarm as it isn't connected to it :y

Yep, or just lock it with the spare key. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #22 on: 05 December 2013, 10:39:02 »

Get a Kenlowe Hotstart fitted.  :y

It's a 3kwh mains powered heater that is plumbed into the car.

Takes a stone cold V6 upto normal temp in about 45 mins.

I had one on my MV6 some years ago and loved it - but it on a timeswitch and jobs done.

When you start the car it immediately goes to hot and you get hot air from the vents.

Many ABS folks have got them - but I dont know of any OOFers having them.

You can get them on ebay for about £100 or so.

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 05 December 2013, 10:45:55 »

The single issue with locking it with the spare key, is that there's still a key in the ignition, which probably invalidates the insurance anyway :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 December 2013, 11:04:26 »

The single issue with locking it with the spare key, is that there's still a key in the ignition, which probably invalidates the insurance anyway :-\

True, but they'd suck through their teeth if you told them about a runlock being fitted too, I reckon. It really depends how often this is an issue. Obviously emergency vehicles are a special case and a runlock is ideal. Just wondering if it would be worth it on a domestic car. :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 05 December 2013, 11:15:53 »

You still have to go outside and start it... far better to stay warm and toasty in bed until the sun has defrosted the car for you :y 4 hour lie in anyone ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 December 2013, 14:02:21 »

You still have to go outside and start it... far better to stay warm and toasty in bed until the sun has defrosted the car for you :y 4 hour lie in anyone ::)

yeah, I'll just clear that with my boss. :y

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 05 December 2013, 15:14:01 »

yeah, I'll just clear that with my boss. :y
Good luck with that ;D

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #28 on: 05 December 2013, 17:39:34 »

Run lock is a great idea WHEN IT WORKS :D :D ;D ;D One of our cars isn't wired up right  ??? (saying nothin about the garages  :-X :-X :-X ) went to a RTC  put run lock on (allegedly) then a colleague needed to move the car, I gave him the key he moved it and I forgot to ask for it back. We all then resumed I got back in the car & drove it all the way back to the nick with no key. Only realised when I got out to lock it.  :o ::)

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 December 2013, 20:32:25 »

how about these?
http://www.enginepreheater.co.uk/

the fan heater sounds better,
Wife had a car with a kenlowe and either she didnt plug it in, or worse forgot to unplug when she drove off. :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.