Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halfords budget cycle carrier review  (Read 1154 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Halfords budget cycle carrier review
« on: 12 September 2012, 18:06:41 »

So I picked up a pair of bike carriers for £19.99 each, they attach to roof mounted bars.

Sadly I've not had a chance to use these in anger, as ETS c0cked up my exhaust for the 3.2  >:(

But tinkering around today, I fitted one of them to my 2.2. For the price, I'm quite impressed.

Here the carrier is mounted with my bike:

The support beam attaches well to the frame:

The front & rear wheels are strapped to the rack, there are U bolts which loop around the roof bars.

Once the bike is off, looks like you can re-use the straps to tie the support bracket down:

I know a few people have been posting recently about carriers, hope this is of help.  :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Halfords budget cycle carrier review
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2012, 18:17:15 »

Be aware that on some bikes with large diameter down tubes the clamps don't seem to fit that well, I back up the clamp system with a couple of small bungees to make sure the clamp and support bar cannot come off ..as the result at 60 mph would be ........  messy ??  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2012, 18:19:23 »

Be aware that on some bikes with large diameter down tubes the clamps don't seem to fit that well, I back up the clamp system with a couple of small bungees to make sure the clamp and support bar cannot come off ..as the result at 60 mph would be ........  messy ??  :)

Thats a good call, thanks  :y

The lower part of the frame on mine is quite thick, I've got spare bungee's - How do you ensure that bracket does not move? If you attach a bungee from bracket to roof bars, it would be pulling it down? Guess if its tight its pulling against that  :-\

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2012, 19:13:23 »

i dont think useing a bungee to tie it down is a very good idea myself as they are not very strong.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2012, 00:09:31 »

i dont think useing a bungee to tie it down is a very good idea myself as they are not very strong.

Bungee is NOT used to tie anything down .. it is used to ensure the clamp does not come off the down tube. I simply use a short bungee around both the clamp and down tube as on large diameter down tubes the clamp is a poor fit. A tie-wrap, piece of string or anything that stops the clamp slipping would do.

My bungee is simply in a sort of "figure of eight" ... outside of clamp, across under the down tube, over the down tube, down to the outside of the other side of the clamp. this both pulls the clamp together and pulls the tube "into" the clamp if that makes any sort of sense ....  I use a short bungee as it is very easy to fit and remove
« Last Edit: 13 September 2012, 00:14:00 by Entwood »

mantahatch

« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2012, 07:39:34 »

This is something I could be interested in. I notice the big plastic nut is on the inside, does that make it hard to reach ? or could it be put on the other way round. I ask because of limited mobility at times when reaching up.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2012, 10:13:49 »

This is something I could be interested in. I notice the big plastic nut is on the inside, does that make it hard to reach ? or could it be put on the other way round. I ask because of limited mobility at times when reaching up.

Mine are a deal older than these, and not such "pretty" colours, but the handscrews can be repositioned either side with ease on mine :)

mantahatch

« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2012, 10:22:56 »

Mine are a deal older than these, and not such "pretty" colours, but the handscrews can be repositioned either side with ease on mine :)

Thank You  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2012, 10:47:03 »

Yeah you can take it out by looks of things, so can reverse it, not tried it though, as I can reach it. I think it might be better on inside as if you park in Tesco for 5 mins, less likely for someone passing to think its funny to un-do it!

mantahatch

« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2012, 21:08:07 »

Yeah you can take it out by looks of things, so can reverse it, not tried it though, as I can reach it. I think it might be better on inside as if you park in Tesco for 5 mins, less likely for someone passing to think its funny to un-do it!

Ah, so does that mean it is not locking ?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2012, 21:55:50 »

Ah, so does that mean it is not locking ?

No locking, just tighten only. Can't see any way to lock them, unless you put on a D lock or something.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2012, 13:19:52 »

I still have and occasionally use my pair of these Halfords cycle carriers I bought in 1996.

They are good enough for the job but I still check them regularly on any journey.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.