Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Mother Tunnie is currently sitting in...  (Read 7234 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Mother Tunnie is currently sitting in...
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2013, 16:21:15 »

I'd probably consider in the following order;

L322 Range Rover - Not the Sport, the 3.6 TDV8 is a wonderful engine, and the 4.4 TDV8 is becoming more affordable. At the lower end of the pricing is the Supercharged, which you've driven. TDV8's are perhaps the best compromise with fuel costs and performance.

530d or E320/E350 - Both very capable, comfortable etc.

Volvo V70 2009+

Although, for me the full size Range Rover is very hard to beat, spacious, comfortable and performance is excellent. Running costs are sensible aswell, even I've changed the front strut / air bag - so not too difficult to work on if you fancy some DIY every so often.

Very true, how did you get on working with yours? Think I would want to get some heavy duty bigger stands, maybe get a bigger jack too.

Are you about on Monday mate?

Mine was a '55' AJ-V8 SC, genuine parts - Air filter - £12, spark plugs £5 each x8, oil filter was £7ish and it takes 5w30 which is nice and cheap with VX TC. Fuel filter is not meant to be changed, it's part of the pump.
I'd think a 3.6 TDV8 would be more suitable, and prices are now from £15,000 for a 2006/2007 to £30,000 for a very low mileage 2009. The final facelift that came out at around '59' plate does have somewhat chav styling, but is much nicer on the inside, full TFT drivers instrument cluster, dual view screen etc.

I am indeed about on Monday  :y

Quick search brought up this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201221472778561/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/price-from/15000/model/range_rover/make/land_rover/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/tw89de/radius/1500/page/2?logcode=p

Should go down well!

Will drop you a text, might pop over your way on Monday  :)  :y

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2013, 16:24:19 »

If you do pop over, we ought to have a good look through BCA and other places etc to give you a feel for the prices. The one you linked to, certainly does look nice, but I'm sure we can do even better than that. If you need any assistance - Let me know  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2013, 16:32:46 »

If you do pop over, we ought to have a good look through BCA and other places etc to give you a feel for the prices. The one you linked to, certainly does look nice, but I'm sure we can do even better than that. If you need any assistance - Let me know  :y

Thanks Josh  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2013, 16:34:57 »

with that sort of budget id have one of these estate's
  http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/showroom/default.aspx?id=clubsportr8tourer
Was thinking much the same ::)

£50k in cash might just persuade Bellingers to order one in...

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2013, 16:41:00 »

Do they not offer the Insignia estate as a VXR varient yet then?
Keith B

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2013, 17:07:14 »

There's a few of those on Network Q for around the £20k mark :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2013, 17:22:44 »

with that sort of budget id have one of these estate's
  http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/showroom/default.aspx?id=clubsportr8tourer
Was thinking much the same ::)

£50k in cash might just persuade Bellingers to order one in...

iam lead to beleave that if you go to a VXR dealer they can order you one for 40k.
  lets hope 5 and 2 lucky stars tonite then thats it... gonna get one ::)
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 04 January 2013, 17:34:28 »

Good luck on both counts :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 January 2013, 09:51:59 »

I can confirm that a 330d manual will keep a 3.0l auto (sports mode - not that it matters on GS820 TCM) honest to quite high speeds. I can also confirm that Omega honour was upheld, as the 330d started to tail off badly before the 3.0l v6 did.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2013, 10:16:40 »

Tell her to keep the Omega. With preventative work, its reliable, and dirt cheap to run (fuel aside).

If she is worried driving about on her own down the motorway, the money saved will by a lifetime's AA membership ;)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 January 2013, 11:03:20 »

Tell her to keep the Omega. With preventative work, its reliable, and dirt cheap to run (fuel aside).

If she is worried driving about on her own down the motorway, the money saved will by a lifetime's AA membership ;)

The problem we've found is because I'm visiting home less, things are not being spotted, i suspect the rear shock had totally failed for around a month. I noticed it soon as I reversed it off drive, but she had been doing long runs to Surrey & back.

Think the exhaust had gone a couple of weeks ago too  :(

Might keep an eye out for a low mileage newer MV6/Elite Estate

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 05 January 2013, 11:10:47 »

Well they are off today to check out Merc Estates, she sat in them yesterday, liked power close boot.

Thinking maybe along these lines:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212174650318/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/price-from/10000/price-to/17000/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/body-type/estate/model/e_class/make/mercedes-benz/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1501/keywords/leather/page/2/postcode/tw89de?logcode=p
Plenty of clocked ex cabs around, shopping at Mercedes is no guarantee for avoiding them either... best bet buy large engined petrol one to avoid the issue. :y be cheaper to buy, (much more car for your cash) and service too 8)

Just had a look, and if you can stretch to £24k Mother T can slum it in an E63 estate... plenty of 350 petrol estates within budget though :y
« Last Edit: 05 January 2013, 11:19:41 by ex taxi al »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 January 2013, 11:21:06 »

I can confirm that a 330d manual will keep a 3.0l auto (sports mode - not that it matters on GS820 TCM) honest to quite high speeds. I can also confirm that Omega honour was upheld, as the 330d started to tail off badly before the 3.0l v6 did.

The later one's are blisteringly quick. We've had loads of trials and a lot of doubters will find this hard to believe but mid range an E92 330d/335d will inch away from an E92 M3 up to a ton and even BMW's own figures don't argue with that. The later M3's will have the edge over a ton but the 330d/335d will hit 155mph effortlessly, and I mean effortlessly. The 0-60mph is 5.9 seconds and mid range it is quicker than a M so it would be long gone before most people have dumped the clutch. The 330d/335d will hit the limited top speed easily with very little build up.
Embarrassingly the Omega figures are closer to the later 2.0d and it would take a good one to get away, but the 2.0d is nowhere near as refined as the straight six 3.0d.
As you know, through work I am in a position to 'test' these new cars against each other so I do speak from my own experience.
If people look at the figures of the later models, there really is no contest but people really should have a go to appreciate modern diesels.

Off my soap box now as I'll never convince you.  ;D ;D

Sorry it's gone slightly off subject Tunnie.  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.