Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash Cams  (Read 5048 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: Dash Cams
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2013, 10:12:46 »

It's perfectly legal to film in a public area, so I can't see any issue. I use one all the time.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2013, 10:59:12 »

I think if it gets as far as court, as said, it's likely to make no difference at best, as it probably wouldn't be admissible as evidence. Of course, if the law did decide to have a poke around on your memory card, they might well find something incriminating that would be admissible as evidence!

It might help your negotiation with insurers where a 3rd party is at fault, perhaps? :-\

If we're honest about it, most people who are prepared to take the hit in fuel consumption that a 200+ BHP car involves are probably going to be driving round generating incriminating evidence against themselves at least some of the time, so should think hard before getting one of these, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

malcy_p

• Suffolk
  • 2.6 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2013, 11:19:10 »

I don't agree... Even if you have been over stepping the mark prior to an incident it is a 5 minute job to download the video at home, edit the file down to just the bit concerning the accident and then e-mail that to your and their insurers.  :y

That assuming that the video supports your innocence that is... Otherwise delete the file and say nothing!  :-X

I'd like one, but with multiple vehicles I'd bet it would be in the wrong car that the right time!  ::)

/m.

CG2

« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2013, 15:21:09 »

Ony a complete eejit would send the complete card as evidence. Burn the individual file to a disc obviously. ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2013, 15:25:24 »

Ony a complete eejit would send the complete card as evidence. Burn the individual file to a disc obviously. ::)

Yep, clearly, but that evidence existing in the first place would be a worry to me. <cough!> If I weren't a law abiding motorist, of course.

Like a mate of mine who decided to make a vid in his kit car..

Taped over the speedo just in case, then, on playback, I pointed out that the needle had gone round past the end of the scale he'd taped over and you could see it pointing almost vertically downwards.  :-X

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31 May 2013, 15:35:36 »

Dash camera evidence is acceptable evidence,in all motoring scenario's, weather it be your defense or the prosecution,even your own prosecution,as a few have found out after posting there "hero nob speed" on a well known video site,.
Remember what cures can kill. Grasshopper
Hoof'land storeman.

CG2

« Reply #36 on: 31 May 2013, 15:45:04 »

If the offence involves solicitors they, and the owner, are going to see the footage prior to court proceedings.

The solicitor will obviously advise as to weather the footage will help or harm your case. A bit of tape on the speedo would immediately mean to keep schtum IMO.

Police seizing gadgets on the spot is another argument I think. :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2013, 18:34:05 »

Easily court evidence quality  :)
Thats not my point, hence I never raised that.

There are privacy concerns that may make it inadmissible.  And just having one, any lawyer worth his salt would get it thrown out as entrapment.

So how does the CCTV in our cities, public buildings, homes ect work then
The companies running them will, I would hope, have sensible privacy policies and procedures in place. I believe, from dealings I've had with CCTV, recording public means informing people you are likely to record (a sign would do I think) and a licence for public places.
Grumpy old man

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 June 2013, 01:43:02 »

last year the police used helmet cam footage from a cyclist to convict a driver

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/feb/22/youtube-justice-road-rage-victims

If it`s your word against another driver in a dispute over who did what, surely  any doubts are cast aside with HD footage available. my uploads are always down scaled by youtube anyway. The cheap chinese camera I use captures in 1280 x720p  H264 MOV HD format. I`m after another camera that records in MOV format, only because the software I use to edit doesn`t like AVI format. But finding one around the £100 mark is proving difficult. A real problem with chinese cameras are the massive number of fake clones being advertised. I shipped in a real piece of crap a couple of months back, it was supposed to be a DOD GS600 but sadly no it was a fake recording in a motion jpeg format.

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 June 2013, 21:19:33 »

I have my phone, in a phone holder, on the dash. It does my satnav, bluetooth calls, media and also doubles as a video recorder if I feel the need. At the moment it is my speedo until my abs ecu gets sorted.
I have to say to when playing back recordings, the quality is very good and the v6 sounds awesome. My first recording was in heavy snow to show my partner but it is surprising the shocking driving you can capture.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

bigegg

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • MV6 RIP - Lexus GS300 '99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 June 2013, 13:41:58 »

I'm going to be shopping for a reversing camera quite soon, and would quite like a dual camera set-up - one for reversing, one a dashcam.

Roadhawk? or are there better systems for reversing specifically?
The reverse camera is much more important than the dash cam

Carpe Incendium

05omegav6

« Reply #41 on: 02 June 2013, 14:29:46 »

I'm going to be shopping for a reversing camera quite soon, and would quite like a dual camera set-up - one for reversing, one a dashcam.

Roadhawk? or are there better systems for reversing specifically?
The reverse camera is much more important than the dash cam
For the reversing camera, try one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-XA-R800C-Rear-View-Camera-Car-Color-Back-Up-Cam-XAR800C-Adjustable-Tilt-NEW-/200863226501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec4619a85

Works out at about £100 delivered. Have bought 2, both from the States, no customs charges with either :y

Have a suitable screen here, should you require it, but one of the electrical whizzes here might be able to run it into an NCDC colour screen :y
« Last Edit: 02 June 2013, 14:33:04 by ex taxi al »

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 June 2013, 23:17:12 »

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 June 2013, 03:18:02 »

I've got a cheap ebay (not the one shown but similar) cost me £12.80 inc delivery from China.  I have installed it in front of (behind) the rear view mirror, switches on and off automatically, overwrites when card full and carries on.  Quality is OK, good enough to show who did what, lens isn't wide angle but you can get  stick on convertors (for phone cams) very cheaply.  The night 'IR' leds are crap they're not IR but even if they were 2 leds are not going to project more than a couple of feet ahead.  I ripped them out. 

I can leave it in the car whereas if I'd paid £196 for one I wouldn't.  Just be aware of the marketing claims - the lens won't be 140 degrees more like 45, the IR isn't IR and take the 'HD' with a large pinch of salt.  But still good value for £13.  Supply your own card.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28 June 2013, 23:19:17 »

I have the "roadhawk" .. very discreet, works very well, records audio and Google map position as well, along with G forces. Not cheap but IMHO you get what you pay for :)

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk

BTW .. mines the older RH-1 version :)

Found one nice and cheap might get that over a cheap eBay one with no brand  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.