Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crank Shaft Sensor problem - is this right?  (Read 3863 times)

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
Re: Crank Shaft Sensor problem - is this right?
« Reply #30 on: 20 December 2009, 18:43:20 »

Thanks Tunnie, I really appreciate your ( and everyone elses help) I'll get the gasket tomorrow and sort that, then report back when the coded reader arrives

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 December 2009, 19:54:32 »

If you stick your location in your profile, there might be someone with a code reader near you ??

:)

Koomorph

• South London/Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 December 2009, 20:18:36 »

Right -thanks Andy - I'm quite sure it's oil that is leaking - but will double check that it wasn't coolant on the ground that I saw. I guess I should keep an eye now on the coolant level? If coolant was getting into the combustion chamber I'm guessing it wouldn't run very smoothly....

People have reported running on 4 or 5 cylinders immediately after starting.

Theoretically, if the quantity of coolant in the cylinder exceeds the combustion chamber volume at TDC then hydraulic lock could result in a bent conrod. The coolant loss and other mysterious cooling ailments usually become impossible to ignore before that stage is reached though.

Thanks Andy - I've now moved my oil/coolant leak problem to another thread so as not to confuse it with my crank sensor issue as posted at the start.

Here is the new thread related to the leak: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1261340146
« Last Edit: 20 December 2009, 20:19:14 by Koomorph »

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 December 2009, 20:26:25 »

Thanks Entwood Ive just put my location on my profile.  Is there a guide on here for fitting a new cam sensor.  I cant find one here at all?
« Last Edit: 20 December 2009, 20:27:52 by richard1967 »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 December 2009, 20:30:14 »

MMmm  North wiltshire ....  like near Swidnod ??? what are you doing this week ??  I have a code reader .. not as fancy as a Tech2  ... but will read OBDII ..  :)

I'm away to Cardiff from 1400 tomorrow, MOT tuesday AM, around all day wed, thur, fri at the moment ... but SWTSMBO is also off so things might change !!

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 December 2009, 20:47:42 »

Hi Entwood, Ill send you a PM

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 December 2009, 20:50:52 »

Replied .. :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 December 2009, 21:15:03 »

Right ... That's sorted then... we'll read the codes tomorrow and see if it is a cam sensor.

If it is a quick trip to Skurray's and flah the card for a new one ... so .. as I know nothing about the 2.2 (other than its missing 2 pots !!) what else do we need and how do we change it ??

Just looked on TIS and there is no procedure ?? Just a picture of the position !!!

:)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 December 2009, 11:42:13 »

Well Richard has been.. apparently the car behaved impeccably on the way over, no EML at all, and running sweetly.

Code reader shows no live codes, no stored codes, and no pending codes....  a quick look at the live data, and although I no nowt about the 4 pot everything looked "reasonable" to me ...

Does a cam sensor on the 4 pot "self clear" every time it works correctly ?? As this is an intermittent EML/cutting out it's about the only thing I can think of until we can get a code reader on it while the EML is actually on !!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 December 2009, 11:44:56 »

Well Richard has been.. apparently the car behaved impeccably on the way over, no EML at all, and running sweetly.

Code reader shows no live codes, no stored codes, and no pending codes....  a quick look at the live data, and although I no nowt about the 4 pot everything looked "reasonable" to me ...

Does a cam sensor on the 4 pot "self clear" every time it works correctly ?? As this is an intermittent EML/cutting out it's about the only thing I can think of until we can get a code reader on it while the EML is actually on !!

No, if it fails once for what ever reason, the fault should stay until cleared by tech2.

Where you looking at current codes or past? (i only ever used real tech2, so not sure how cheapos display it?)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 December 2009, 12:58:55 »

No, if it fails once for what ever reason, the fault should stay until cleared by tech2.

Where you looking at current codes or past? (i only ever used real tech2, so not sure how cheapos display it?)

Looked at current, stored and pending.. no faults in any area.

If the fault always stayed until Tech2'd ... how would you know you've fixed it ??

I thought the only ones that stayed "forever" were the seatbelt/airbag ones ?? ... perhaps the 4 pot is different to the V6 .. 

::) ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 December 2009, 13:08:35 »

Looked at current, stored and pending.. no faults in any area.

If the fault always stayed until Tech2'd ... how would you know you've fixed it ??

I thought the only ones that stayed "forever" were the seatbelt/airbag ones ?? ... perhaps the 4 pot is different to the V6 .. 

::) ::)

Not sure on other engines, but even when you fix things on the 2.2 codes are 'still listed' on tech2, i forget which menus they are listed under, but i usually read DTC Codes? And it says if they are present or not present.

Not present meaning its been a fault at some point.....

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 December 2009, 15:51:35 »

Quick update for you chaps.  After leaving Nigel earlier, the car was still fine, then a couple of miles down the road, the ligt came on again!! Looking at the manual, it says that the light can be cleared by switching the ignition off and then back on.  It seems as though the car is fine on Motorways or Dual Carriageways, but in town the light is more likely to appear.  Does this suggest that stop start drving, with a quickly increase in Engine Temperature will more than likely make the light appear?? Just a thought??  If thats the case could the problem be a Temp Sensor??

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 December 2009, 16:06:04 »

which light is this? One with the car with a spanner through it?

Could you rev over 4k rpm?

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 December 2009, 16:44:03 »

Hi Tunnie. yes its the one with the spanner through it.  Yes I can rev through 4000 rpm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.