Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question re. my Discovery  (Read 3455 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Question re. my Discovery
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2015, 12:18:48 »

Ohh!! that might be a good shout Andy H, I'll check them in the morning. Yeah Nick W I know what you mean about the cams, but the engine itself is quite low mileage 75k. Gonna try the fanimoulds first & go from there I think.

Cams and followers plus chain setup are normally pretty shot by 60K miles.

Check the exhaust manifolds first (there were some improved gaskets for them due to this issue)
It is true that the cam lobes can wear to almost nothing but they don't make much noise as a result. There is only one cam so a new replacement isn't ridiculously expensive.

I don't recall saying they did  :y although the followers have a habit of getting a bit clacky

Shit job to change though with the timing cover coming off. inlets out, valley gasket off and pre-loads to reset on the rocker assembly, the chains can make a hell of a noise to when worn ....then you find if its the pre 4.0/4.6 (composite head gasket with additional row of head bolts, non cross bolt block) that the head gaskets are blowing into the valley and the internals look like someone dumped a spade full of soil in them  :y

Of course the chain and sprockets will also need changing and the rocker shafts will probably be pretty worn to.

Oh the joys of the (ancient and should have been retired in the late 80's) Buick 215 Rover V8
« Last Edit: 01 April 2015, 12:25:25 by Marks DTM Calib »

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2015, 13:22:00 »

Does it have the gas conversion

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #17 on: 02 April 2015, 17:09:34 »

No, no Gas conversion yet.... Until I've rebuild the top end & stopped the Land Rover self preservation / protection system or oil leaks as they are aka......... ::) ::) ::)

Had the spider alarm system out today too as I've still got that annoying 3-4 second pause when you turn the key to fire it. Fitted a bypass temporarily, to see if it cured it, but nope, it still does it but its at least ruled out the spider. Now on to check the earths as my next task.

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 April 2015, 11:39:06 »

Don't put the gas conversion on it the back 2 pots will end up burning out thats why I asked if it was gas converted :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.