Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New car  (Read 5520 times)

aaronjb

Re: New car
« Reply #30 on: 22 February 2018, 13:32:28 »

I don't think the Westies accommodate a V8 particularly well - although there was the Westfield SEight; that was an RV8 which is comparatively narrow and short (physically and on power ;D )

You need to check the dimensions of a Rover V8, as it's neither narrow or short when compared to the 3 common small-block engines. It is quite light though.

Having just looked it up, the LS is ~24" wide and ~27" long (excl exhausts, incl heads) while the RV8 is 30" wide by 33" long, so yep, I take that back! It's a big old arthritic asthmatic bugger.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 February 2018, 13:40:10 »

I wonder if the 5 lire S/C V8 from my Tata could be made to fit in a Westfield?.

510 BHP and 500 lb ft torque make the car nippy enough but is hampered by having to drag around almost 1900 KG. :-\

Stick the lump in a car weighing around 600KG seems to make far more sense.....could even make it 4 wheel drive like one or two DAX I have seen.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 February 2018, 13:42:12 »

It's main advantages 30 years ago, were that it made a decent amount of power, was easy to find and cheap to buy. 150hp four pots quickly took its place for the same reasons

..and due to the fact that they're not normally completely knackered and in need of an extensive rebuild by the time you purchase them 2nd hand!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 22 February 2018, 14:10:08 »

.. and then there's the fuel consumption (bearing in mind the 27 litre tank).

That certainly puts you on first name terms with all your local petrol stations. Even my Smarts' are 35 litres & they'll do 45/50mpg

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 February 2018, 14:25:43 »

Yup, if you really are one sausage short of a fry-up, Dax are your chaps. All the big capacity stuff I’ve seen in Westfield-type cars has been in their DeDion (maybe) kit.

Personally the biggest barrier to my running one of these is space for my fat @rse. Even my Sumo is reasonably snug  ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 22 February 2018, 14:39:51 »

Yup, if you really are one sausage short of a fry-up, Dax are your chaps. All the big capacity stuff I’ve seen in Westfield-type cars has been in their DeDion (maybe) kit.

Except they went bust. Three times. And somewhere in there they sold off the Rush (Caterfield clone) to MAN Motorsport who are now putting out.. well, just look at this beauty from their demo chassis:

The rest of the Dax name is now owned by JK Sportscars (previously Dax Benelux, but manufacturing etc still lives here) and service has improved immeasurably..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 22 February 2018, 15:30:01 »

Yes, shame about Dax.  :(

The Rush was a bit more of an "elbow on the door"* driving experience but it did work very well with big power. You had to watch the width at the rear, though. :o

* - If it had doors.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 February 2018, 15:42:16 »

Except they went bust. Three times. And somewhere in there they sold off the Rush (Caterfield clone)

That is sad, I didn't know that!

MAN Motorsport who are now putting out.. well, just look at this beauty from their demo chassis:

Fu£k me! That is woeful, that honestly looks like my welding!

aaronjb

« Reply #38 on: 22 February 2018, 16:34:26 »

Honestly, the future is brighter now than it ever was - at least for the brand.

That is sad, I didn't know that!

They were D J Sportscars International Ltd, then Dax Cars Ltd, then 427 Motor Co Ltd trading as Dax Cars.. there was always a good reason for these changes, but I can read between the lines ;)

Fu£k me! That is woeful, that honestly looks like my welding!

;D I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yes, likewise! At least the welding on my Dax chassis (probably done by Gary who is back working for JK now, I believe) looks good ;) (Or maybe Shaun, but probably would have been Gary at that point)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 February 2018, 17:10:54 »

Well, I meant about the Rush, really.

Good to hear that the rest of the range is better supported. Having been deeply involved in a Rush build, I know how it used to be. :-X

A bit like Westfield, in fact.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 February 2018, 20:24:38 »

Poor ol' Terbs, he just wanted to talk about his Mazda.. ;D

For me I tend to miss a car being "over engined" whenever I'm in a car that I need to keep "on song" and vice versa; both have their place and depend on my mood. I think if I had a Caterfield I'd go for a smaller, well matched engine and keep the brown-trouser moments to the Cobra ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Just said to Chris...'I only asked about my Mazda...got two pages of crap about god knows what !!!!
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22 February 2018, 20:26:02 »

Picked it up today....Luuuuuuvvv it  ;) :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

aaronjb

« Reply #42 on: 22 February 2018, 20:39:01 »

For me I tend to miss a car being "over engined" whenever I'm in a car that I need to keep "on song" and vice versa; both have their place and depend on my mood. I think if I had a Caterfield I'd go for a smaller, well matched engine and keep the brown-trouser moments to the Cobra ;D

Just said to Chris...'I only asked about my Mazda...got two pages of crap about god knows what !!!!

;D ;D ;D Enjoy the Mazda! :)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 23 February 2018, 09:46:32 »

Basically what you've learnt is that when the Mazda rots out the oily bits will work well in a kit car ;D ;D ;D,enjoy your new car Terbs :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.