Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable car jump starter  (Read 6890 times)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
portable car jump starter
« on: 01 February 2015, 14:36:37 »

I`m sure we`ve all seen different styles of these things.
I got something very similar to this one  & carry it under the bike seat. :y
Lot of dodgy junk about, but this bloke also claims to have tested the safety features under short circuit conditions.
Although the jumper cables look a bit on the skinny side to me :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_pzljtJapE

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: portable car jump starter
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2015, 15:03:39 »

No, cant see it myself, especially the last bit with no Battery in the car.

The Ex bought something from one of those shopping channels, basically two cigarette lighter plugs with some flimsy cable in the middle, that supposedly jumps a good car to a flat one, did it work??.......  No, but amazingly worked on the TV she said. 

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2015, 15:06:09 »

I'm tempted to buy one just to see if it'll work.. the Omega battery was reading 2V last time I checked it on the car so that would make for an interesting test! ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2015, 15:17:52 »

I'm tempted to buy one just to see if it'll work.. the Omega battery was reading 2V last time I checked it on the car so that would make for an interesting test! ;D
Thats probably shagged the battery then, only real way if you got cars parked up for long periods is to pull the Neg Terminal off from the battery, takes all of 20 seconds to reconnect it when needed.  ;)

The Sheriff

« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2015, 15:29:42 »

Buy it Aaron, then you can put it through its paces and do a real review. You have plenty of money so if it's no good you won't miss a paltry sixty quid.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2015, 16:10:04 »

Buy it Aaron, then you can put it through its paces and do a real review. You have plenty of money so if it's no good you won't miss a paltry sixty quid.
£60, you could get a half decent set of Jump Leads and a Medium Size car Battery for that, admittedly it wont fit in your pocket, but will last a lot longer than that Chinese box of bangers.

The Sheriff

« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2015, 16:16:18 »

£60, you could get a half decent set of Jump Leads and a Medium Size car Battery for that, admittedly it wont fit in your pocket, but will last a lot longer than that Chinese box of bangers.
But it's only Aarons sixty quid, so no worries  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2015, 16:57:33 »

Couple of hours work will pay for that and then we can see if it catches fire trying to start the Omega.. ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2015, 17:25:09 »

Couple of hours work will pay for that and then we can see if it catches fire trying to start the Omega.. ;D
We want a proper appraisal, none of this "It's shite!"  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2015, 17:32:59 »

We want a proper appraisal, none of this "It's shite!"  ;D

That's not what we do here! We just announce everything is shite.. unless it's an Omega, of course! ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2015, 17:57:02 »

Had a demo from a factors rep of one very similar,we tried on a dead Renault ,1.5diesel and it swung that over very well,it just clicked on its own battery.I've ordered one to keep in the  glovebox of the Touareg  as the battery lives under the passenger seat and is a bastid to get at.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2015, 18:34:37 »

i bought one about 18months ago, and used it at work until last summer. The only reason I stopped using it was that some cretin connected it back-to-front and melted it. It quite happily started my Omega when I'd left the lights on for two days and the battery was flat, and countless other cars with similar problems. It didn't need charging very often either.

What it also does is provide a really good power source for anything that charges off a USB socket.

What it won't do is provide power to continually crank over a car that won't start quickly; you flatten it in about 30 seconds.

I have been meaning to buy another, as lugging a traditional boost starter into carparks just to do a jumpstart is hard work. This thing  fits into your pocket.

The worst thing I found was that the stitching that retained all the adapters inside the case broke very quickly. Hardly a real problem, as I don't own much that used them.

Is that a good enough, real-world review for you?

The Sheriff

« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2015, 18:42:55 »

So....not so shite after all.

If they are that good, why haven't we been bombarded with tv ads for them?  why haven't the fat boys(8pm, BBC 2), let us know, it is a motoring programme after all.  ::)

If I owned an omega, I would definitely invest in one, in case I had to park the poor old dear up for any longer than 36 hours.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2015, 19:15:08 »

So....not so shite after all.

If they are that good, why haven't we been bombarded with tv ads for them?  why haven't the fat boys(8pm, BBC 2), let us know, it is a motoring programme after all.  ::)

If I owned an omega, I would definitely invest in one, in case I had to park the poor old dear up for any longer than 36 hours.
Coz there shite.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2015, 00:14:25 »

Two things.

1:  That bloke has a load of weird shit in his house.

2:  Was I the only one who really wanted to see that positive terminal short on the body?

:-\
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

aaronjb

« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2015, 10:15:20 »

2:  Was I the only one who really wanted to see that positive terminal short on the body?

I saw it 'relax' a little toward the body and got all excited to see a bit of DC welding.. but no. Boo. ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2015, 16:36:47 »

So it'll be here tomorrow...

The Sheriff

« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2015, 16:49:38 »

So it'll be here tomorrow...
Oooooo....I'm all excited now.....

Are you going to flatten the batteries on your cars to test it. Just leave all the lights on tonight ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2015, 17:12:28 »

No need.. the batteries in the RX8 & Omega are well and truly flat already ;D

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2015, 21:57:00 »

aldi on Thursday jump start packs 18amp battery don't know if thats good or bad.

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2015, 19:20:33 »

Omega battery today, ~11V (after it's been on the battery conditioner for a month!).. didn't even have the power to unlock the doors when I put it back on the car.

Hooked the little gizmo from the video up and it turned over and started first time.  Job jobbed.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 February 2015, 19:43:28 »

Omega battery today, ~11V (after it's been on the battery conditioner for a month!).. didn't even have the power to unlock the doors when I put it back on the car.

Hooked the little gizmo from the video up and it turned over and started first time.  Job jobbed.

You'll have to give us the occasional report on its progress/capability  :y :y

The Sheriff

« Reply #22 on: 03 February 2015, 20:31:01 »

Ha ha. Eat that, doubters :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2015, 21:17:23 »

Sounds good!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 February 2015, 22:08:04 »

Nice one  :y  from what I can remember from the instructions before I binned them, they advise not to leave it connected for any length of time.  The power pack once charged seems to hold it`s charge.

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2015, 23:32:23 »

Looks impressive. I have cause to endlessly jump start something! I'll order one aswell  :y
Thanks Aaron & Nick W for your feedback, as without it I would never buy one. Certainly easier to carry then the bloody heavy jump packs!

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2015, 23:54:45 »

Mine came today,I hooked it up to a dead 2.0 hdi Xantia and it started instantly,the one I've got fits in the glovebox
other rides 

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 February 2015, 13:42:12 »

If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 04 February 2015, 14:13:11 »

Yep, I only went for the more expensive one as I could Prime it and get it next day .. ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 February 2015, 11:15:29 »

I spotted these in Costco the other day, about £45.   :)

Although I'm not sure if it was the same specs as others linked on this thread.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #30 on: 25 February 2015, 15:40:11 »

I've had a similar one for about a year now - used it recently to start a mate's Disco - fired it up straight away :y  Easily fits in my glove box.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 February 2015, 21:23:42 »

the leads are 2 short to start a car as you need to reach a earth point not the neg terminal

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 February 2015, 22:43:25 »

the leads are 2 short to start a car as you need to reach a earth point not the neg terminal

they manage on the video. I know they always say about using an earth/ground point, but I've always managed by connecting to battery terminals (apart from my car ....... they built it around the battery which lives under my seat  ???)

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 26 February 2015, 14:45:56 »

I must have imagined starting mythe Omega I sold with it, then. Better get my meds checked.

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 February 2015, 23:53:30 »

I must have imagined starting mythe Omega I sold with it, then. Better get my meds checked.

no you just did it old school way.not the right way.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 February 2015, 00:10:51 »

So remind us ....... why should we use an 'earth' point & not the -ve terminal of the battery (which is connected directly to the chassis/ground/earth/-ve

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 February 2015, 00:53:58 »

Looks precious to me. I knows its easy being wise after the event, but this seems to have proved my bs desifering mode still works. Going by my first impressions. Looks a genuine handy gadget. Thanks for posting :)
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 February 2015, 13:28:08 »

So remind us ....... why should we use an 'earth' point & not the -ve terminal of the battery (which is connected directly to the chassis/ground/earth/-ve
In theory it provides a better earth connection (Neg, Ground, -V, chassis, whatever) to the Starter Motor from the good Battery rather than rely on the Vehicles Battery earth to chassis cable and or Engine Earth Strap, which could give potential voltage difference across the length of that cable under high current demands from the starter motor.

Downside is, depending on where you clamp the Neg Jump Lead to, means you might end up being further away from the Starter Motor and having to go through more rusty bolts, chassis joints to make the connection.

Personally I always jump directly to the Battery terminals, reason being when the car fires up on the key first time, it gives a good indication that the Battery terminals and cables are in good condition, which is something that could be missed and may even be the problem rather than a flat battery when using the clamp to chassis method. 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 February 2015, 13:48:25 »

In theory it provides a better earth connection (Neg, Ground, -V, chassis, whatever) to the Starter Motor from the good Battery rather than rely on the Vehicles Battery earth to chassis cable and or Engine Earth Strap, which could give potential voltage difference across the length of that cable under high current demands from the starter motor.

Downside is, depending on where you clamp the Neg Jump Lead to, means you might end up being further away from the Starter Motor and having to go through more rusty bolts, chassis joints to make the connection.

Personally I always jump directly to the Battery terminals, reason being when the car fires up on the key first time, it gives a good indication that the Battery terminals and cables are in good condition, which is something that could be missed and may even be the problem rather than a flat battery when using the clamp to chassis method.

I was always told that the reason to connect - to the engine block was to reduce the risk of sparks around a possibly venting duff battery :y
other rides 

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 February 2015, 14:58:52 »

I was always told that the reason to connect - to the engine block was to reduce the risk of sparks around a possibly venting duff battery :y
Heard that as well, along with the idea you connect the Poss first to the Battery, followed by the Neg to the Chassis, assuming any sparks will be on the second connection away from the Battery.

Other thoughts are that you connect the Poss first, that way should you accidently drop the Neg clamp in the engine bay etc, then less potential damage is done.

aaronjb

« Reply #40 on: 27 February 2015, 15:04:29 »

Positive on first, always. Negative off first, always. Same for connecting a battery as it is for jump leads - if you slip and bridge the spanner across the -ve and chassis you won't weld it together.. if you take the +ve off first and slip you'll DC weld the spanner to the car. Don't ask how I know.

If you want to avoid sparks near the battery (which might be venting gas) just connect the other end of whatever you're using last, surely (jump leads to the other car, booster leads to the booster pack etc)..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 February 2015, 17:04:39 »

Yup. Venting battery gives off hydrogen.  Not quite as good as a garage full of butane/propane mix, but...
Grumpy old man

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 February 2015, 19:43:59 »

[/quote]

both good polnts plus
the dead battery offers resistance
but the most important reason is so you don't spike the ecu/brain of the car if you read the owners manual of most new cars this is the way to do it.but of course you could no better than vw.bmw Vauxhall etc

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 February 2015, 23:12:12 »

but the most important reason is so you don't spike the ecu/brain of the car if you read the owners manual of most new cars this is the way to do it.but of course you could no better than vw.bmw Vauxhall etc

I don't see how it could make any difference to the ECU, to be honest. Keeping the spark away from a potential source of hydrogen is about the only benefit I can imagine.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #44 on: 28 February 2015, 00:15:39 »

Jump starting from the aux battery is a pretty effective way to release the magic smoke ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 28 February 2015, 00:16:47 »

Wheres Master? Master knowses.

Master goes into an opposing rage if you use both terminals to connect to the battery. :o ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 28 February 2015, 00:40:06 »

i got on of these last week, exact same, from ebay, £37 inc delivery.  tested it on a cold V6 by disconnecting the battery completely and using the gadget instead.  it did work, started the car, to my surprise.  i wouldn't say it kicked the engine over fast mind, noticeably slower than normal and i had to switch the interior fan off first.  very small and light though compared to my old jump starter, worth keeping in the boot.  i doubt it would start a diesel with a completely flat battery. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.