Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: portable car jump starter  (Read 6931 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: portable car jump starter
« Reply #30 on: 25 February 2015, 15:40:11 »

I've had a similar one for about a year now - used it recently to start a mate's Disco - fired it up straight away :y  Easily fits in my glove box.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25 February 2015, 21:23:42 »

the leads are 2 short to start a car as you need to reach a earth point not the neg terminal

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 February 2015, 22:43:25 »

the leads are 2 short to start a car as you need to reach a earth point not the neg terminal

they manage on the video. I know they always say about using an earth/ground point, but I've always managed by connecting to battery terminals (apart from my car ....... they built it around the battery which lives under my seat  ???)

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 26 February 2015, 14:45:56 »

I must have imagined starting mythe Omega I sold with it, then. Better get my meds checked.

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 February 2015, 23:53:30 »

I must have imagined starting mythe Omega I sold with it, then. Better get my meds checked.

no you just did it old school way.not the right way.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 February 2015, 00:10:51 »

So remind us ....... why should we use an 'earth' point & not the -ve terminal of the battery (which is connected directly to the chassis/ground/earth/-ve

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 February 2015, 00:53:58 »

Looks precious to me. I knows its easy being wise after the event, but this seems to have proved my bs desifering mode still works. Going by my first impressions. Looks a genuine handy gadget. Thanks for posting :)
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 February 2015, 13:28:08 »

So remind us ....... why should we use an 'earth' point & not the -ve terminal of the battery (which is connected directly to the chassis/ground/earth/-ve
In theory it provides a better earth connection (Neg, Ground, -V, chassis, whatever) to the Starter Motor from the good Battery rather than rely on the Vehicles Battery earth to chassis cable and or Engine Earth Strap, which could give potential voltage difference across the length of that cable under high current demands from the starter motor.

Downside is, depending on where you clamp the Neg Jump Lead to, means you might end up being further away from the Starter Motor and having to go through more rusty bolts, chassis joints to make the connection.

Personally I always jump directly to the Battery terminals, reason being when the car fires up on the key first time, it gives a good indication that the Battery terminals and cables are in good condition, which is something that could be missed and may even be the problem rather than a flat battery when using the clamp to chassis method. 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 February 2015, 13:48:25 »

In theory it provides a better earth connection (Neg, Ground, -V, chassis, whatever) to the Starter Motor from the good Battery rather than rely on the Vehicles Battery earth to chassis cable and or Engine Earth Strap, which could give potential voltage difference across the length of that cable under high current demands from the starter motor.

Downside is, depending on where you clamp the Neg Jump Lead to, means you might end up being further away from the Starter Motor and having to go through more rusty bolts, chassis joints to make the connection.

Personally I always jump directly to the Battery terminals, reason being when the car fires up on the key first time, it gives a good indication that the Battery terminals and cables are in good condition, which is something that could be missed and may even be the problem rather than a flat battery when using the clamp to chassis method.

I was always told that the reason to connect - to the engine block was to reduce the risk of sparks around a possibly venting duff battery :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 February 2015, 14:58:52 »

I was always told that the reason to connect - to the engine block was to reduce the risk of sparks around a possibly venting duff battery :y
Heard that as well, along with the idea you connect the Poss first to the Battery, followed by the Neg to the Chassis, assuming any sparks will be on the second connection away from the Battery.

Other thoughts are that you connect the Poss first, that way should you accidently drop the Neg clamp in the engine bay etc, then less potential damage is done.

aaronjb

« Reply #40 on: 27 February 2015, 15:04:29 »

Positive on first, always. Negative off first, always. Same for connecting a battery as it is for jump leads - if you slip and bridge the spanner across the -ve and chassis you won't weld it together.. if you take the +ve off first and slip you'll DC weld the spanner to the car. Don't ask how I know.

If you want to avoid sparks near the battery (which might be venting gas) just connect the other end of whatever you're using last, surely (jump leads to the other car, booster leads to the booster pack etc)..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 February 2015, 17:04:39 »

Yup. Venting battery gives off hydrogen.  Not quite as good as a garage full of butane/propane mix, but...
Grumpy old man

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 February 2015, 19:43:59 »

[/quote]

both good polnts plus
the dead battery offers resistance
but the most important reason is so you don't spike the ecu/brain of the car if you read the owners manual of most new cars this is the way to do it.but of course you could no better than vw.bmw Vauxhall etc

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 February 2015, 23:12:12 »

but the most important reason is so you don't spike the ecu/brain of the car if you read the owners manual of most new cars this is the way to do it.but of course you could no better than vw.bmw Vauxhall etc

I don't see how it could make any difference to the ECU, to be honest. Keeping the spark away from a potential source of hydrogen is about the only benefit I can imagine.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #44 on: 28 February 2015, 00:15:39 »

Jump starting from the aux battery is a pretty effective way to release the magic smoke ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.