Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What Car for 24yo Female  (Read 8853 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: What Car for 24yo Female
« Reply #45 on: 31 May 2017, 00:56:36 »

UK regs is utterly irrelevant in the face of an EU type approved vehicle unless an example had been modified.

Define modified...

For example activating a function previously set as dormant at the point of manufacture. ::)

Arguments notwithstanding, it would be interesting to see how the EU type approval varies from model spec to model spec...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 31 May 2017, 01:23:28 »

UK regs is utterly irrelevant in the face of an EU type approved vehicle unless an example had been modified.

Define modified...

Type approval is based on a sample of production models and manufacturers are subject to periodic retesting as part of their approval to continue issuing CoC's. Any material change from those tested production models needs to be re-subjected for approval.

Having worked for a tier 1 supplier to several automotive OEMs this testing process is very rigorous and extends as far as having to seek approval for changing the grade of steel used to make drive shafts (picking a random, painful example from my professional life). The loss of authority to issue CoC's would be disastrous to an OEM and adding (or enabling) features not subject to type approval would certainly jeopardise that authority.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 31 May 2017, 01:38:21 »

Just to add, in case you were meaning modified after manufacture/sale, that's a whole different ballpark and nothing to do with the manufacturers type approval (sorry if that's stating the obvious). Thinking about it, I'd guess even "manufacturer approved" tuners e.g. What Hirsch is to Saab take cars outside of type approval.

If you were meaning activating a function to "up spec" a car, then I'm guessing (but don't know) based on conversations I've had with insurers you should declare it as a modification. But they still form part of the type approval process.

Where there is a feature of the car which does not meet the criteria for EU type approval, these are changed at the point of manufacturer. The only example like this I can readily think of is the 2nd generation RAV4. For eu type approval, rear lights must be fully visible with the boot lid open (hence the stupid lights on the inside of the insignia touring's boot lid). In order to comply, Toyota fitted a check strap that stops the tailgate from opening fully and obscuring the RH light cluster.

For obvious reasons, manufacturers try to keep such features to a minimum.

« Last Edit: 31 May 2017, 01:50:32 by jimmy944 »

STEMO

« Reply #48 on: 31 May 2017, 07:12:15 »

All a bit pointless as James has already sourced a car.

Nope, you did not read what I put. You can enable things that were on high spec models. Just disabled on low spec.

Eg. Active fog light cornering, when you indicate with lights on, the fog light comes on. I enabled this on a 2013 A3 low spec.

I've increased comfort lane changing indicators from 3 to 5 clicks, because I felt 5 were better. Shed loads of things can be done, from increasing volume of parking sensor speaker to how long the lights stay on when you unlock the car.
My reply was to earlier posts about cheap astras, but you had the audacity to squeeze in a post before me. How dare you.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 31 May 2017, 09:01:06 »

Nope, you did not read what I put. You can enable things that were on high spec models. Just disabled on low spec.

Eg. Active fog light cornering, when you indicate with lights on, the fog light comes on. I enabled this on a 2013 A3 low spec.

I've increased comfort lane changing indicators from 3 to 5 clicks, because I felt 5 were better. Shed loads of things can be done, from increasing volume of parking sensor speaker to how long the lights stay on when you unlock the car.
My reply was to earlier posts about cheap astras, but you had the audacity to squeeze in a post before me. How dare you.

Ahh yes, sorry about that thought you were referring to my post. But can see what trouble you've caused!  :o  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 31 May 2017, 09:10:37 »

See here, UK site for a lovely French car.

http://www.peugeot.co.uk/showroom/2008/suv/safety/

Scroll down..... "CORNERING ASSIST FOG LIGHTS"

Perhaps you should contact this French company? Inform them this model is illegal? While you are at it, contact every car maker  ::)

To the best of my knowledge peugeot don't make UK law ... and that's  what I'm talking about ...

Entwood. Do you honestly believe that several manufacturers VAG, PUG etc would be able to produce cars that are UK type approved but have illegal lights?

Wind your neck in.  ::)

IF it were illegal, it would be deleted as a uk option. I suspect that the manufacturers in question *just might* have a more detailed knowledge or the regs than your googling.

Just...

Maybe..

Smart answer .. "wind your neck in" ... shows a great deal of research and understanding , NOT ...  :)

Reading the Construction and Use Regulations, along with the Road Vehicle Lighting regulations might actually tell you what UK law is ....  but you obviously CBA and know as much as Tunnie .. or think you do ...  :)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

Hmmmmmm!!!  ???

As does this?

One day you might learn to research and read before spouting crap

To clarify, again, active fog cornering lights are not illegal. They activate under indication when turning into a junction, this only happens at sub 35mph ish, as you slow down to turn. (i.e. won't turn on at 70mph on a motorway) The light will turn off again when your indicator clicks off, this is standard feature on many new cars.

Sadly, Mr Entwood, you chose to pick up on something that you clearly don't have an understanding of in their operation. As they do not stay on constantly, this short bust of light when turning is covered under EU updated law as Jimmy points out.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2017, 09:15:31 by tunnie »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 31 May 2017, 11:29:54 »

Ahh yes, sorry about that thought you were referring to my post. But can see what trouble you've caused:o  ;D

He's from Liverpool. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 31 May 2017, 11:31:29 »

.....much the same as 'he's from Barcelona'

......no further clarification required. ::) ;)

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 31 May 2017, 18:01:17 »

deleted for accuracy
« Last Edit: 31 May 2017, 18:20:43 by annihilator »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 31 May 2017, 18:14:35 »

Its a grey area due to EU law. Much like HIDs which aren't technically allowed by UK law (no provision for it), but are by EU law.

HOWEVER, if this case, I suspect any such fog light has to properly adjusted, which is not the case for a bog standard fog light, in order to avoid dazzle.  Much like the 'tards retrofitting HIDs but not obeying the rules  >:(

As it happens, I think using fog lights for illuminating whilst cornering is a bloody stupid idea, as there will always be some tosser who readjusts them for maximum inconvenience.  If you can't see adequately around a corner, they you need to fix your lights or slow down, not add gimmicky stupid "look at me" features.

Tunnie - be aware that if a car sees a dealer, and the dealer does a proper job (fortunately, not many do), all such features are reset to how it left the factory *AND* you might find any remaining warranty on the car is void due to such adjustments.  I've known of Audi to be particularly shitty over this.

And whilst ranting about lights, how the F did previous generation Pisshats and Golfs get type approval, when you can't see the indicators when they are breaking (I know, I know, VW owners never use indicators. But on the offchance one does).  And the ragtop MINI  >:(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2017, 18:30:27 »

Although, most areas I go, the chavs have their front fogs on anyway, coz its wicked innit.  Fikking 'tards, and the manufacturers encourage it by not resetting them to off after restarting engine.

Line 'em up for the cull.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 31 May 2017, 19:06:06 »

As it happens, I think using fog lights for illuminating whilst cornering is a bloody stupid idea, as there will always be some tosser who readjusts them for maximum inconvenience.  If you can't see adequately around a corner, they you need to fix your lights or slow down, not add gimmicky stupid "look at me" features.

Agee with this. Probably the most pointless feature on SWMBO's yeti. Bendy headlights following just behind!

Be interested to see what happens when we leave the EU. Under the great repeal bill proposals, we will keep the supremacy of EU type approval, but not sure if that will last for ever  :-\. Be a good job creation alexercise that's for sure, requiring UK type approval.

STEMO

« Reply #57 on: 31 May 2017, 19:15:05 »

I though wifey's captur had a fault when she came round the corner of our road with one foglight on. They're no fickin use anyway, they light up the bit of road you can't see because of the bonnet.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 31 May 2017, 19:26:37 »

If its legal under EU law, then its legal in the UK as EU law overrides  UK law. This will continue when we leave the EU due to the great repeal act, but the plan is to work through the EU laws over a long period of time and dump the ones we don't want.
This will of course become shambolic, but the plan is a good one.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 31 May 2017, 22:32:44 »

I`ve only been seeing this recently and I just can`t see the point in it, bugger all extra light from front fogs anyway.

i think manufacturers could use technology for better things than gimmicks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.