Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil pressure gauge on V6 engine?  (Read 1580 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Oil pressure gauge on V6 engine?
« on: 22 December 2006, 18:03:33 »

As far as I know, none of the Omega models have a variant with oil pressure gauge incorporated in the dash, hence no gauge sender available. However – does anyone know if any of the other variants of the V6 – i.e. in the Vectra, Calibra, etc – had an oil pressure gauge in the dash? If so it may be possible to obtain a gauge sender from that model which will replace the oil pressure switch. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Oil pressure gauge on V6 engine?
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2006, 18:16:46 »

As far as I know, none of the Omega models have a variant with oil pressure gauge incorporated in the dash, hence no gauge sender available. However – does anyone know if any of the other variants of the V6 – i.e. in the Vectra, Calibra, etc – had an oil pressure gauge in the dash? If so it may be possible to obtain a gauge sender from that model which will replace the oil pressure switch. Any info on this would be appreciated.

How about a Cadilac? A bit far to go though  ;D

clicky

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2006, 18:41:51 »

I wonder if the caddy pressure sender would be listed on the epc if anyone had access to it.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2006, 21:16:51 »

I wonder if the caddy pressure sender would be listed on the epc if anyone had access to it.
Not the Opel EPC....
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2006, 21:55:59 »

Alas, no more Omegas....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2006, 22:29:53 »

I guess this is what I need then....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAVALIER-CALIBRA-TURBO-ADAPTOR-FOR-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE_W0QQitemZ150027703149QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10404QQcmdZViewItem

then get a sender as kit with the gauge.

Capillary oil/temp gauges went out with the Ark, you must be able to find an electrical sender & gauge.
There are some here

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2006, 23:40:49 »

I guess this is what I need then....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAVALIER-CALIBRA-TURBO-ADAPTOR-FOR-OIL-PRESSURE-GAUGE_W0QQitemZ150027703149QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10404QQcmdZViewItem

then get a sender as kit with the gauge.

Capillary oil/temp gauges went out with the Ark, you must be able to find an electrical sender & gauge.
There are some here

Capillary gauges are actually more accurate, but this is not what I had in mind.... apart from the practical issues involved in fitting them, it can get very messy in the cabin if the pipe raptures...  ;D

On the Astra I had 20 years ago, there was an original Vx combo sender/switch unit that had two connectors, one for the legacy oil pressure light and the other for an oil pressure gauge. I was hoping to find something similar for the V6, because otherwsie if I just swapped the Oil Pressure Switch for a Gauge Sender then I would lose the oil pressure warning light.

The adapter in the link simply allows for two units to be screwed in at the same time, so you can screw the original Oil Pressure Switch at the end of the extension, and then screw a separate sender for the gauge on the side of it - just make sure it clears the V-belt...

In fact I used such an adapter a long time ago on another car, I just forgot all about it and it came back to me after seeing it eBay.

But thanks for the link, I am looking for a gauge and sender and this shop is cheaper than Demon Tweeks whom I had in mind.

« Last Edit: 22 December 2006, 23:43:55 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2006, 12:10:55 »

Not sure if the thread size is the same on the V6 as the four pots, but I recently fitted an oil pressure gauge to my cavalier X20XEV.  I got the sender from Autovaux for aroud £30 if I remember correctly.  This simply screws in the place of the oil pressure switch and provides both functions i.e. oil pressure for the gauge and the switch for the lamp.  It works very well.  I can't see that Vaux would have different sizes of thread for the sender but you never know.  The original switch was a 24mm spanner and the replacement sender was, I think, either 13 or 14 mm.  I would be interested in fitting such a gauge myself and, as such, would be keen to see where you fit yours.

Hope this helps.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2006, 13:53:35 »

Capillary gauges are actually more accurate, but this is not what I had in mind.... apart from the practical issues involved in fitting them, it can get very messy in the cabin if the pipe raptures...  ;D
A mate used to have a Capri with a capillary oil pressure gauge. He'd removed the dash & half way through the job remembered he had to pick up his girl friend from work. He set off with the dash on the back seat. A few minutes into the journey he felt a warm sensation down his leg from the capillary tube!!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.