Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rust spots....  (Read 2833 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Rust spots....
« Reply #15 on: 21 December 2006, 16:00:39 »

i don't see where the extra money goes apart from on the badge.

Several years ago, my dad hired a Merc E320 as he needed an Auto. We had recently taken delivery of his Y Reg 2.2 CD megga with leather. The Merc we had was a good 10k more than the list price of the Omega, and we could not see the difference or where the 10k goes, the build felt the same.

I think comparing the Omega against the BMW 840 is a little biased... BMW's of the early 90's where built much better than BMW's of today.

The updated facelift feels like its built much better, i discovered that with the R reg project car i had. Everything just feels more solid and "screwed together better" if you get my meaning.

You can't beat them for second hand value, where else would 1g grand get you a 2000 model V6 luxo barge with RWD, climate, TC, leather, sat nav, bose sounds??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2006, 17:53:45 »

I think quite a lot of Omegas have had a hard life, possibly not helped by shockingly bad servicing at main dealers.

My MV6 feels solid and well built, and rattle free. Easy a match for the 540 my brother had that was same age, performance aside (his 540 was a nice torquey engine, I think it was v8, not sure though).  Agreed, I have developed a rust spot under the rubber strip on n/s rear door :(.

I know you seem to have an issue with your HIDs - mine were around the same as my brothers 540 and his Alpina, which surprised me as I would have expected the round lights on the beemer to be better than the odd shaped Vx ones - I guess with projectors, it makes little difference, as no reflectors?

The Vx build quality is nowhere near that of Audi etc, but imho better than Ford's Mondeo/Jag/(current) 5 series/large Pugs/Rover 75/C5 Citroen/Laguna etc...

As said though, some do seem to have a hard life (possible because they don't have a badge, and because their value is low, therefore people won't spend as much on them). Additionally, I cannot imagine many started life as a private car...
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2006, 18:21:23 »

I had a 540i before I got the 840, and they're pretty damn nice motors for the money. Especially with the 6-speed gearbox (which mine had) it's plenty fast for most driving although it's certainly no sports car. Mine had huge mileage, and although it did show some signs of neglect was still generally holding up much better than my Omega.

The HIDs on my Omega work fine, it's just that the beam angle is far too low. It's a real PITA coming off a slip road in the dark cos by the time you can see that 90 degree bend you're almost on top of it! Fine if there are no other cars around allowing main beam to be used. The only other car I've owned with HID is my 840, and those have a significantly better range. The lights on the 540 weren't that great but being halogen they were adjustable beam so no problems with range. I seem to remember the Vectra CDX my dad owned years ago had HID and I thought the range on that was noticably poor too. One of the lights on that completely lost all height control meaning it pointed straight down - required complete replacement at a cost of £800 under warranty - typical VX!

I'd agree that if anything VX quality is a little better than the French stuff (that is generally really poor IMO) but I'm not convinced it's better than equivalent Fords. They're still very platicky inside but seem solid enough. I'd expect all the equivalent Fords to handle better across the range too; VX's front wheel drive cars are all pretty mediocre in this department whereas Ford have been getting better and better for a few generations now. The RWD cars are a different matter but neither of them really do RWD now other than niche models "borrowed" from the parent company (Monaro, VX220).

My Omega has had a fair bit spent on it (I have the receipts), including the best part of £1500 a few months before I bought it. Considering the value of the car isn't much higher than that I wouldn't say it's been completely neglected. Stuff like the door check strap just shouldn't break whether maintained or not - I've never seen another car with a hole punched in the metal of the door due to a seized check strap, and I've seen some seriously neglected cars in my time. Likewise the rust issue at the bottom of the doors is a bit of a joke for a late 90s car, especially considering the paint is in generally good condition. My sister's 1998 Laguna doesn't have any rust and I consider that to be a bit of a shed lol!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2006, 18:45:31 »

I had a 540i before I got the 840, and they're pretty damn nice motors for the money. Especially with the 6-speed gearbox (which mine had) it's plenty fast for most driving although it's certainly no sports car. Mine had huge mileage, and although it did show some signs of neglect was still generally holding up much better than my Omega.

The HIDs on my Omega work fine, it's just that the beam angle is far too low. It's a real PITA coming off a slip road in the dark cos by the time you can see that 90 degree bend you're almost on top of it! Fine if there are no other cars around allowing main beam to be used. The only other car I've owned with HID is my 840, and those have a significantly better range. The lights on the 540 weren't that great but being halogen they were adjustable beam so no problems with range. I seem to remember the Vectra CDX my dad owned years ago had HID and I thought the range on that was noticably poor too. One of the lights on that completely lost all height control meaning it pointed straight down - required complete replacement at a cost of £800 under warranty - typical VX!

I'd agree that if anything VX quality is a little better than the French stuff (that is generally really poor IMO) but I'm not convinced it's better than equivalent Fords. They're still very platicky inside but seem solid enough. I'd expect all the equivalent Fords to handle better across the range too; VX's front wheel drive cars are all pretty mediocre in this department whereas Ford have been getting better and better for a few generations now. The RWD cars are a different matter but neither of them really do RWD now other than niche models "borrowed" from the parent company (Monaro, VX220).

My Omega has had a fair bit spent on it (I have the receipts), including the best part of £1500 a few months before I bought it. Considering the value of the car isn't much higher than that I wouldn't say it's been completely neglected. Stuff like the door check strap just shouldn't break whether maintained or not - I've never seen another car with a hole punched in the metal of the door due to a seized check strap, and I've seen some seriously neglected cars in my time. Likewise the rust issue at the bottom of the doors is a bit of a joke for a late 90s car, especially considering the paint is in generally good condition. My sister's 1998 Laguna doesn't have any rust and I consider that to be a bit of a shed lol!
Alas, I had to tolerate a Ford Focus for 2 years.  Worse handling car I've owned since my old Triumph Acclaim.  Its build quality was poor, both from a design and manufacturing point of view.  I've had a few Vx (4) and Fords (6).  For a cheap, mass market manufacturer, their quality is higher that of their competitor (Ford).

The check strap should have been fixed (a simple service procedure, takes 2 mins and costs pence) before it got that bad.

If your HIDs are simply too low, there is a manual adjustment on them, but technically be callibrated afterwards via Tech2. It may be they just need calibrating in first place.

The high value of receipts you have to make me suspicious that it may not have been as cared for as it could have been, hence the high cost of maintenence all of a sudden (and probably reason it was sold). Some sellers are proud that "2k spent in last year" etc type claims - these claims put me off, as to me, things have been left until it has failed (and hence more expensive...)

As you say, I wouldn't spend £25k+ on this car, but not sure I'd be happy spending £25k on any other similar car either...

So, was the 540 (circa 1998) a v8?
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2006, 19:47:42 »

The 540 was a 1995/96, last of the E34. It was a V8 but only a 4.0 whereas the 840 engine is a 4.4 (as are later 540s). 286 bhp or thereabouts, along with about 280 lbft torque. Worked well enough with the 6-speed box. The 840 is noticable perkier though.

I bought the 540 as a cheap, but relatively fast, runaround when I had my Impreza WRX STi. I got fed up with the two car thing, so sold the WRX and bought the 840Ci to replace the 540i. Sold the 540i a few months later and was happy at that. Then I decided I'm putting way too many miles on the 840, using way too much gas, and couldn't take more than one passenger! Started using my old 2.0 Audi that I'd given to my mum but she didn't use, but it was waaaaay too slow for my liking so another runaround was sought, enter the Omega. That was about 10 months ago, I've just got round to selling the Audi so back down to two cars. To be honest I don't need two any more as I've moved to a place in the city so seldom use the car during the week, and sometimes not at weekends either! Two cars to share an average mileage of 5,000... I must be mad :o. Very nearly bought myself a new Gixxer Thou too, but I'll wait until spring even though prices will be higher.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 December 2006, 10:14:25 »

The 540 was a 1995/96, last of the E34. It was a V8 but only a 4.0 whereas the 840 engine is a 4.4 (as are later 540s). 286 bhp or thereabouts, along with about 280 lbft torque. Worked well enough with the 6-speed box. The 840 is noticable perkier though.
I imagine that the 840 is probably a fair bit lighter?

My bike stays in the garage this time of year - I ain't man enough to tame it when its slippery (or even when its dry if last year is anything to go by  :-[).  Prices will rise, but may be able to get a pre-reg deal early spring...
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 December 2006, 10:45:37 »

It's actually not that light surprisingly enough, damn heavy for what's basically a two seater. The construction is absolutely solid though, which goes a large way to explaining the weight. As a result even with  315 BHP the low speed acceleration isn't that great (6-something seconds 0-60 which my previous WRX STi would obliterate) but it's got really good aerodynamics so keeps pulling at higher speeds, topping out at 173 MPH or thereabouts. You can supercharge them up to about 480-500 BHP which the standard gearbox copes with just fine, but the price tag of £5-6k puts me off that idea just a little :O.

I'm definitely a fair weather biker too, it's just no fun when the roads are wet or worse, especially on a sports bike with sticky semi-slick tyres! I'm planning on keeping my eye out over the coming months, if a good offer comes up I may just jump in there. I can always leave it in my folks' garage for a few months until the weather improves :).

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 December 2006, 11:19:46 »

Guys, my personal view is that you cannot judge a car unless you have owned from new, i have owned 2 omegas used they were somewhat neglected but i was lucky in general with them so i have a good opinion about the car but again i don't know how the car would have been if i had it from new. I once met a guy in Greece when i had my first omega tech2 checked, he had his omega since 1993 2lt16v GLS it had 189.000km on the clock he said to me that this was the best car he owned for 7 years he would only do the dealer services plus and extra oil change, apart from that he had nothing gone wrong ever. Rust is a matter of maintenance as well, right now in the carpark outside is an 03 Audi with both rear arches rotten to death. As mark has said in the past a used car is as good as it's previous owner.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #23 on: 22 December 2006, 19:18:26 »

Hopefully Taxi Driver will be along shortly, he's an expert when it comes to getting VX to do rust spots on his 03 plate Omega  ::)
Try going to another dealershit  :-X whoops meant dealership, and ask !

Taxi Driver seems to get on famously at his dealership regarding his little rust spots and i'm VERY sure he didnt keep up his bodywork warrenty

2nd time at posting this  :( 1st time it time out  :(

Sorry ive only just read this thread  :-[

I had a rust on the tailgate just under the wiper....common place on estates.....vx dealer had no problem booking it in and doing it under warranty......tho ive noticed recently its bubbling in the same place again  :( and yes you are correct i dont have any anti corrosion stamps in my service book.

Vx dealer will be seeing the car again as soon as it starts to show rust stains !

Tho dont know how it will fare 2nd time around.....as ive vowed a vx dealer will never touch my car service/mechanically wise again! So dont know what there reaction will be as the service book wont have any more vx dealer stamps in it.

Its on 80k now....my local backstreet garage will do an oil/filter change on it (i supply vx semi synth and filter) i will change the plugs and change the air filter myself......get the garage to check the pads....they were last changed at 60k if ok then thats it. But no vx stamp in the book!

Try asking AA i know he had rust done on his 2.2 under warranty, i think the back door area  :-/
Hes away for a few days so might not reply straight away  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 December 2006, 21:15:18 »

If that happens, remember that with this forum software, the contents of your post will be in clipboard ;)
Grumpy old man

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 December 2006, 22:23:00 »

Vauxhall dealer won't be bothered about service by non main dealer as it no longer affects the Vx warranty but may try it on.  I let a muppet spray my rear bumper earlier this year and when I was Tcutting the overspray off the car I found 2 small air bubbles - 1 each side at the lower edge of the doors.  No rust yet but I wash & wax my car very often so perhaps this kept it at bay.  So I gave it some TLC & now it looks like a small stone chip that's been fixed.  Dealer won't run to respray but they have deals with "chips away" type firms and usually pay £20 for small repairs.  Why not offer to pay the garage for the "trade" cost of repair and you may both come out as winners.  :y
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 December 2006, 17:32:23 »

Hopefully Taxi Driver will be along shortly, he's an expert when it comes to getting VX to do rust spots on his 03 plate Omega  ::)
Try going to another dealershit  :-X whoops meant dealership, and ask !

Taxi Driver seems to get on famously at his dealership regarding his little rust spots and i'm VERY sure he didnt keep up his bodywork warrenty

Sorry ive only just read this thread  :-[

I had a rust on the tailgate just under the wiper....common place on estates.....vx dealer had no problem booking it in and doing it under warranty......tho ive noticed recently its bubbling in the same place again  :( and yes you are correct i dont have any anti corrosion stamps in my service book.

Vx dealer will be seeing the car again as soon as it starts to show rust stains !

Tho dont know how it will fare 2nd time around.....as ive vowed a vx dealer will never touch my car service/mechanically wise again! So dont know what there reaction will be as the service book wont have any more vx dealer stamps in it.

Its on 80k now....my local backstreet garage will do an oil/filter change on it (i supply vx semi synth and filter) i will change the plugs and change the air filter myself......get the garage to check the pads....they were last changed at 60k if ok then thats it. But no vx stamp in the book!

Try asking AA i know he had rust done on his 2.2 under warranty, i think the back door area  :-/
Hes away for a few days so might not reply straight away  :y

I have had no problems with the dealer regarding anti-perforation warranty.

Although to be fair, what I thought was rust turned out to be the inner door seal breaking down.

Front and rear offside doors fixed by the dealer under warranty, my book wasn't stamped at that point.
I like red cars
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.