Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 petrol advice please.  (Read 2257 times)

Darryl Flynn

• Durham City
  • She who must be obeyed's motor !
    • View Profile
2.2 petrol advice please.
« on: 25 November 2006, 14:14:49 »

Hi,
     realistically how much better on fuel would a 2.2 petrol Estate with manual gearbox be than my 2.5 V6 auto. I would hope that it was between 5-10mpg better given all of the above factors ?

Can i use some of the Cam locking kit that i have for my V6 to change the belt/rollers on a 2.2 petrol.

How durable is the 2.2 engine in terms of what sort of mileages that they can take if maintained properly. Is 130k going to mean it is tired. My last Saab had 160k on and was still great.

Presumably the cam belt and roller change on one of these should be a lot easier than my V6 ( which in all fairness was not too bad )

Thanks Darryl
Darryl

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 petrol advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2006, 14:21:35 »

the 4 cyls are a lot better on fuel on a steady run, but around town not a lot different to the V6, in my experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2006, 14:38:58 »

And its a different locking kit for 4 pot (basically just a lock, no timing stuff).
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2006, 14:48:54 »

And its a different locking kit for 4 pot (basically just a lock, no timing stuff).

Alas, no more Omegas....

Darryl Flynn

• Durham City
  • She who must be obeyed's motor !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2006, 14:49:52 »

the 4 cyls are a lot better on fuel on a steady run, but around town not a lot different to the V6, in my experience.

James,
            is the above true re around town when auto and manual are in the equation as well ?

Cheers Darryl
Darryl

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2006, 15:03:54 »

James,
            is the above true re around town when auto and manual are in the equation as well ?

Cheers Darryl

Depends how you drive it, i went paintballing the other week. Fuel light just came on as we started the trip, so stuck £20 in...

Now on 87 miles since i stuck £20 in, Range display says 160 miles left in the tank  :-?

I reckon id get 170/180 miles until the fuel light comes on again.

Generally i get 36/7mpg on a motorway run @ 80

only manage to squeeze 40mpg if i sit behind a truck, but that gets booring. My car was born to sit @ 80!  ;D

Over a whole tank of £60 it tends to average 33mph ish

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2006, 15:08:36 »

James,

Cheers Darryl

Depends how you drive it, i went paintballing the other week. Fuel light just came on as we started the trip, so stuck £20 in...

Now on 87 miles since i stuck £20 in, Range display says 160 miles left in the tank  :-?

I reckon id get 170/180 miles until the fuel light comes on again.

Generally i get 36/7mpg on a motorway run @ 80

only manage to squeeze 40mpg if i sit behind a truck, but that gets booring. My car was born to sit @ 80!  ;D

Over a whole tank of £60 it tends to average 33mph ish

But you tend to do longer journeys, where 4 pots do show better economy...
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2006, 15:13:39 »

On my display (uncalibrated) I average around 26.4 mpg, I do a lot of short trips.

That's about 2 mpg better than I was getting before I cleaned out the throttle body and breathers.

I get around 340 miles out of a tank full, but on a long journey, i.e. to Taunton the other weekend, that extended to around 420 miles out of the tank.

I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2006, 15:31:29 »

On my display (uncalibrated) I average around 26.4 mpg, I do a lot of short trips.

That's about 2 mpg better than I was getting before I cleaned out the throttle body and breathers.

I get around 340 miles out of a tank full, but on a long journey, i.e. to Taunton the other weekend, that extended to around 420 miles out of the tank.

Not hugely different to what I get from my MV6 - around 350 from a tank normally, rising to over 400 on longer runs. Had 500 out of a tank before driving down France...
Grumpy old man

ricardo1500

• Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2006, 18:43:56 »

Hi Darryl
My first tankful in my 2.2 cdx auto estate has returned 24.5 mpg  :'(but that was all done around the town (average speed 21mph).  The economy does appear to get much better as the car gets above 2000 revs in top gear. :y

Rich

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2006, 18:51:10 »

they are big heavy cars, so once they are rolling it requires minimal effort to keep them going, hence they are so good on fuel on the motorway.

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2006, 19:06:28 »

Keep the V6 and halve your fuel bills instead

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2006, 19:43:41 »

when I went to cornwall, my V6 went there and back - and did 601 miles to a full tank of fuel. straight up. That was 39mpg.

STMO123

« Reply #13 on: 25 November 2006, 20:06:46 »

If I filled mine right to the top, it would be sick ;D

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 November 2006, 20:38:12 »

I average 35 mpg form my 2.2 saloon.

I have quite a good balance of driving, town driving to work and back 6 days a week, up the Motorway twice a week = very nearly 35mpg week in week out
Whilst Motorway driving i never tend to go below 80, and quite often do 90-100 ! still returning an average of 35 mpg combined !
Mark

Martin_1962

« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2006, 22:41:00 »

Motorway today 18-20 one way and 30 or over back

strong head wind & high speeds (over 3500rpm)

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2006, 23:34:29 »

It depends where you live too - up north we have things called hills which seriously affect MPG.  Best run Iv'e had was 20/25 miles in slow traffic on an A road - 50 mph average returned 40 MPG - round town daily drag 22 MPG.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Nige

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2006, 09:09:37 »

I have a 2.2 sport estate auto, cannot get above 29.5 on a tank of petrol even driving like miss daisy!
Do a daily run to work 40 miles along dual carriage and motorway (at about 70ish), seems like all you guys get better economy maybe i need to clean something ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2006, 18:00:42 »

I have a 2.2 sport estate auto, cannot get above 29.5 on a tank of petrol even driving like miss daisy!
Do a daily run to work 40 miles along dual carriage and motorway (at about 70ish), seems like all you guys get better economy maybe i need to clean something ?
Clean all the breathers thoroughly, and throttle body as well.  On that sort of journey, I would expect high twenties/30mpg from my 3.0l, depending how much town driving is involved...
Grumpy old man

Nige

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 December 2006, 20:37:07 »

Clean all the breathers thoroughly, and throttle body as well.  On that sort of journey, I would expect high twenties/30mpg from my 3.0l, depending how much town driving is involved...

Sorry, complete novice here, can't see any guides on the forum, what are the breathers, and throttle body sounds a major job?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 December 2006, 22:05:36 »

Sorry, complete novice here, can't see any guides on the forum, what are the breathers, and throttle body sounds a major job?

It sounds it but its not. I cleaned my 2.2 breathers, took less than 10 mins. (Also that was my first time cleaning them)

Check out the maintenance guide section for how2's, i basically just involves cleaning the crap out!  

On the 2.2 there is a very thin pipe which allows the engine to breathe (air) after time this gets blocked up, i cleaned mine out with an old wire coat hanger with some cloth on it, covered in carb cleaner..... passed that a few times, tones of rubbish came out.

noticed a big differnce in performance and mpg, i suspect they had never been cleaned
« Last Edit: 24 December 2006, 22:11:26 by tunnie »

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 December 2006, 22:55:27 »

Just click here for the link http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1162397695. If you are a complete novice just clean all the hoses inc the little one mentioned by Tunnie - leave the trottle body housing for now & see how you get on.  You'll need a small metal gasket that sits on top of the sump at the base of the metal breather pipe - costs about 70p from Vx and that's it. Your car will feel more responsive too.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.