Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Climate control questions....  (Read 1822 times)

stuart30

Climate control questions....
« on: 20 December 2006, 14:14:15 »

Ive finally had the Elite into an auto electricians and they have told me the heater works OK but they expect the fan controller has failed (i think that's what they called it)...located under the glove box .?

Does anyone know what this would cost trade club price as my local vauxhall dealer has quoted £90.16 and he called it a blower regulator/heater resister pack but couldnt suggest where on the car it would be located and wasn't interested in checking either. :o

Secondly if this is likely to be the cause of the blowers not working can anyone explain in simple terms how its fitted...and i do mean simple. :-[

Thanks in advance
stuart

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
Re: Climate control questions....
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2006, 16:34:45 »

The regulator is behind the glovebox & is clipped to the fan casing. I changed mine a while ago, it's easy to change, just really fiddley. I got a second hand one for less than a tenner.
Just to be sure check the big green 30amp fuse at the top of the fuse box first.
« Last Edit: 20 December 2006, 16:46:21 by paulmccristall »
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

stuart30

« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2006, 17:18:31 »

The regulator is behind the glovebox & is clipped to the fan casing. I changed mine a while ago, it's easy to change, just really fiddley. I got a second hand one for less than a tenner.
Just to be sure check the big green 30amp fuse at the top of the fuse box first.

Thanks bo bo so there is hope after all.....any helpfull suggestions how the glove box comes out,also the auto electrian mutterd about the passenger air bag might have to come off as well.????  Any idea if thats true.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2006, 17:26:56 »

I suspect you didn't clear your scuttle drain, and the water destroyed the speed controller.

Glovebox out, that means airbag has to be lifted slightly, so disconnect battery.
Grumpy old man

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2006, 17:43:29 »

It's a while since I did mine IIRC there's a hidden screw behind the air vent. As TheBoy says you only need to lift the airbag slightly. When the glovebox is out you'll have to kind of lie on your back in the footwell & look up. There's not much room in there but it will come out without too much trouble after undoing the clips.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

stuart30

« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2006, 18:00:01 »

Thanks guys....The boy is indeed correct,i did try to clean the scuttle drain....not sure how effective it was,was a huge amount of sludge in there at the top but couldn't see a way to clean it properly.??

I"ll have another look when its light.....if i have to drive home with ice on the inside of my windscreen again tonight i"ll be visiting the scrap yard Saturday and leaving the bugger there.lol

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2006, 01:38:55 »

Don't know how old your car is - i belive later models were different, but earlier ones, the scuttle drains out into the wheel arch somewhere adjacent to the shock iirc.  Can get quite blocked and not possible to clear from the top as it goes round a bend somewhere in the inner wing.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2006, 06:17:47 »

is this the thing on the drivers side, about 2 inches across and you can clear it when the bonnets up? i get the idea theres another part to it from all this chat

stuart30

« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2006, 07:51:52 »

Don't know how old your car is - i believe later models were different, but earlier ones, the scuttle drains out into the wheel arch somewhere adjacent to the shock iirc.  Can get quite blocked and not possible to clear from the top as it goes round a bend somewhere in the inner wing.

Thanks for the reply Barge captain......the car is P reg 97".

When i tried to clear the scuttle drain I'm sure water was exiting not in the wheel arch as i expected (sure that's what i was advised) but more under the car say about a third of the way across.?

How do people normally clear the drain...as I'm sure the drain was a few inches deep then bends sharply,would something like the sink unblockers be safe to use if diluted with water.

B52 its probably just me being an idiot and making a simple job difficult......Gotta say it doesn't instill much confidence to do other things when i cant even do a nice simple basic job. :o ;D
« Last Edit: 22 December 2006, 07:52:45 by stuart30 »

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2006, 08:35:47 »

At P reg the scuttle drain should exit via the nearside wheel arch. You can get to it by reaching behind the wheel but if you havnt done it before then its easier to remove the wheel. On the inner wing, just behind the wheel centre line will be a rubber item, like a flattened pipe. Try opening the bottom end of this with your fingers, it will be full of sludge and rotted leaves and will stink. Once its running free you can try washing the heater plennum area with a hose etc to get rid of any remaining muck. You will also need to change the pollen filter.

stuart30

« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2006, 15:11:25 »

Thanks matchless.....i take a good look tomorrow.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2006, 18:39:24 »

You could try a pressure washer shoved down the drain.....that should clear the rubbish out......but if you do have one handy i would wear waterproofs or old clothes and wellies.....incase of blowback and how fast the smelly water will come out the other end  :y

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2006, 16:10:19 »

Don't know how old your car is - i belive later models were different, but earlier ones, the scuttle drains out into the wheel arch somewhere adjacent to the shock iirc.  Can get quite blocked and not possible to clear from the top as it goes round a bend somewhere in the inner wing.

ye this must have changed - mine drains somewhere near the middle of the car, theres nothing in the wheel arch except an opening for what looks like the brake lines

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2006, 20:42:59 »

ye this must have changed - mine drains somewhere near the middle of the car, theres nothing in the wheel arch except an opening for what looks like the brake lines

About '98 the drain exit moved to the engine side of the inner wing, just above the chassis rail. Almost impossible to reach it in the new position.

stuart30

« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2006, 21:41:27 »

About '98 the drain exit moved to the engine side of the inner wing, just above the chassis rail. Almost impossible to reach it in the new position.

So whats the answer regards making sure its clear.....would a diluted version of sink unblocker or something simialr work.

Really dont want to go to the expense and hassle of changing the fan controller if its going to get wet and die again.

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2006, 22:59:55 »

good or bad thing? its running through ok anyway...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2006, 23:04:39 »

As long as it runs away quickly (ie pours out, not dribbles out) then its OK.
Grumpy old man

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 December 2006, 23:37:26 »

As long as it runs away quickly (ie pours out, not dribbles out) then its OK.

i think it pours out  8-)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 December 2006, 23:41:26 »

i think it pours out  8-)
Ideal :y
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.