Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 stalling....  (Read 1737 times)

stuart30

V6 stalling....
« on: 24 December 2006, 21:55:58 »

Tonight ive been to see a lovely 2.5 Estate...car is very very clean and has shed loads of paper work (bills ect),drives nice and hopefully will prove to be a good buy.

Now the only problems it seems to have is if left on tick over it will stall and cut out....its ticking over at 500rpm,Now i know the 2.0 needs the ICV (think thats what its called) cleaned fairly regular but does the 2.5 suffer the same problem,i note on one of the invoices thats the previous owner was charged £70 for the cleaning of something but cant make out what (hand written invoice).

So is the tick over revs a little low....need adjusting,and the stalling would that be ICV related.

Second problem....the heated rear window and wing mirrors dont appear to work,push button and nothing lights up,although didnt have time to wait and see if they did demist as we was very short of time,so apart from the obvious fuse....what would be the best way of checking whats wrong.

Any advice would be really usefull....and yes i"ll make sure i line vauxhalls pockets and have the cambelt ect ect done staright away.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: V6 stalling....
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2006, 22:02:33 »

yep sounds like an ICV problem (Idle Control Valve)

All 2.0 / 2.5 / 3.0 engines have them, and if not cleaned with gunk up and cause a lumpy idle, and if left cause it to stall.

Good clean with some carb cleaner and that should fix it, 5 min job  :y

familyman

• Intermediate Member
  • Sittingbourne, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2006, 22:08:36 »

Hi Stuart 500rpm sounds about right sometimes mines even lower on tacho, stalling could be due to breathers blocked not cleaned out, The idle valve shouldn't need cleaning to often if breathers are okay. First thing to check would be fuses on HRW, if all okay then,
Quickest way too test if HRW is working is to switch it on and put a test light from one of the connectors on HRW element on the tailgate and the other end to earth if the tester lights up nice and bright means voltage is there, turn switch on and off to confirm test lamp should go on and off as well,possible lamp in switch blown.  If it doesn't light up put the test lamp to the other connector for the HRW to make sure and retest. this sounds longer than it actually takes to test.  if it still doesn't light up you will need to check relays and wiring including into and out of switch. :y
You came in that, your braver than i thought

stuart30

« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2006, 22:09:35 »

All 2.0 / 2.5 / 3.0 engines have them, and if not cleaned with gunk up and cause a lumpy idle, and if left cause it to stall.

I could kiss you tunnie.....really put my mind at rest,after having to do it to my 2ltr a couple of times it seemed very similar but i wasnt sure if the 2.5 would be the same or if it just effected the 2ltr...so thats a big relief.

Would the ICV  be in the same place as the 2ltr...left side of engine opposite expansion bottle,or are they located in a different area being 2.5.?

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2006, 22:11:47 »

Any advice would be really usefull....and yes i"ll make sure i line vauxhalls pockets and have the cambelt ect ect done staright away.
Why not line Robin Hood's pockets  with £3 for the cambelt dvd and see if you can do it yourself, its not as hard as it sounds.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

stuart30

« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2006, 22:14:37 »

Thanks for the quick reply familyman.....i"ll try what you suggested (well a friend will.lol) wednesday when i collect her.

Thanks for the help... ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2006, 22:16:45 »

I could kiss you tunnie.....really put my mind at rest,after having to do it to my 2ltr a couple of times it seemed very similar but i wasnt sure if the 2.5 would be the same or if it just effected the 2ltr...so thats a big relief.

Would the ICV  be in the same place as the 2ltr...left side of engine opposite expansion bottle,or are they located in a different area being 2.5.?

Err its been a while since i worked on a V6 (2.2's need much less work  ;))

But on the V6's the ICV is on the right of the engine as you look at it. So as you standing in front of the car, knees at the number plate its on the right, towards the front of the engine.

Its got a big thick black rubber circle thing that holds it to the engine, and has a loom connector attached from the back. Not sure if it looks the same as a 2.0, never seen a 2.0 ICV. Give us a sec and i'll google a piccy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2006, 22:19:45 »

If the stalling is happening once its warmed up, it could be crank sensor - these often show up once engine fully warm, and its a sudden engine cut (as opposed to hunting first) at any rpm...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2006, 22:25:40 »

Ok image below:

Red circled = ICV

Green Line = Give them a good clean, green dots towards the back there are several pipes up their, which are the main breathers, give them all a good clean. Its best to take them off tbh....

stuart30

« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2006, 22:26:28 »

Why not line Robin Hood's pockets  with £3 for the cambelt dvd and see if you can do it yourself, its not as hard as it sounds.

As much as id love too im afraid me tools and car parts just dont mix....im all fingers and thumbs and own two spanners,think there spanners....lol.

No im afraid its either pay the creep at vauxhall to do a half hearted job or pay someone independantly to do any work. :(

stuart30

« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2006, 22:31:25 »

Ok image below:

Red circled = ICV

Green Line = Give them a good clean, green dots towards the back there are several pipes up their, which are the main breathers, give them all a good clean. Its best to take them off tbh....

Thats superb Tunnie...thanks now i know excatly what i need to be looking for.... :y

Theboy...it was hunting prestalling for a few seconds so hopefully just the ICV.

Actually just thought.....the ICV would it be specific to a 2.5 omega....or are they generaly the same...2.0,2.5.....its just a mate has a brand new ICV boxed in his shed however its off a 2.0.?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2006, 22:35:30 »

Ok image below:

Red circled = ICV

Thats superb Tunnie...thanks now i know excatly what i need to be looking for.... :y

Theboy...it was hunting prestalling for a few seconds so hopefully just the ICV.

Actually just thought.....the ICV would it be specific to a 2.5 omega....or are they generaly the same...2.0,2.5.....its just a mate has a brand new ICV boxed in his shed however its off a 2.0.?

Can't comment on that, I don't know enough about the ICV's... although the 2.5's & 3.0 ones are the same, not sure about the 2.0 sorry.

On your other point, if it is the crank sensor then don't worry thats another fairly straight forward job. I have been meaning to do it on mine since the summer, as mine is giving a faulty reading!  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2006, 22:37:22 »

Ok image below:

Red circled = ICV

Can't comment on that, I don't know enough about the ICV's... although the 2.5's & 3.0 ones are the same, not sure about the 2.0 sorry.

On your other point, if it is the crank sensor then don't worry thats another fairly straight forward job. I have been meaning to do it on mine since the summer, as mine is giving a faulty reading!  ::)
No Tunnie, I'm fairly sure yours is a knackered CAM sensor!

We can Tech2 it to be certain, least I can do for you :y, and have you got that bloody carpass yet?
« Last Edit: 24 December 2006, 22:38:24 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

stuart30

« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2006, 22:41:00 »

Well picking her up wednesday and will be driving from Doncaster to Huntingdon (100 ish miles) so a nice mix of fast motorway and back lanes to see how she feels,must say on the test drive felt very responsive.

Just gonna feel odd driving a manual again...... ;D

No doubt after playing there will be other odds and sods that need attention. :y

« Last Edit: 24 December 2006, 22:41:47 by stuart30 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2006, 22:51:29 »

a manual really makes a big difference. The 2.5 V6 project I had was an auto, you could feel the extra power, but it was very hard to make use of it down the tight lanes. You could not do what you wanted to with it, I found myself screaming at the box saying "change GEAR!!!"

I jumped back in my 2.2 manual and found it much more livley and perky.... I am very envious ;D - A 2.5 Manual is the best combination  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.