Chat Area > General Car Chat

Fancy something a wee bit different?

<< < (2/3) > >>

STEMO:

--- Quote from: Nick W on 03 March 2023, 08:10:49 ---
--- Quote from: Field Marshal Dr. Opti on 02 March 2023, 17:44:50 ---Spitfire lump.....and I don't mean the nancy boy two seater by Triumph.

--- End quote ---

It's a Meteor out of a tank, not a Merlin. They're much easier to adapt to car use, lacking the gearbox for the propeller and drive from the 'right' end.

The car is particularly impressive as it whines, rattles and smokes past you on the motorway :y

--- End quote ---
The original tank engine was destroyed in a fire, it now has a Merlin V12

YZ250:

--- Quote from: Nick W on 03 March 2023, 08:10:49 ---……..
It's a Meteor out of a tank, not a Merlin. They're much easier to adapt to car use, lacking the gearbox for the propeller and drive from the 'right' end.

--- End quote ---

It started life with a Meteor engine but after an engine fire it was changed to a Merlin. It definitely had a Merlin in it when it was displayed at Milton Keynes.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:
I thought the Meteor and Spitfire shared the same lump apart from the Spitfire being Supercharged and the Meteor being NA.

I could well be wrong though.

Kevin Wood:

--- Quote from: Field Marshal Dr. Opti on 03 March 2023, 18:52:31 ---I thought the Meteor and Spitfire shared the same lump apart from the Spitfire being Supercharged and the Meteor being NA.

I could well be wrong though.

--- End quote ---

That was the main difference. I think they used up "B" grade parts not suitable for aviation use and bits recovered from crashed aircraft since the engine was subject to much less abuse in a tank (and had half the power anyway since the supercharger was deleted).

countrywoman:
V12, just stick 2 Omega v6s together!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version