Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Am finally starting to feel relaxed with my Omega  (Read 6183 times)

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Am finally starting to feel relaxed with my Omega
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2011, 08:22:46 »

I thought running lights went off when main light were on..... :-\ :-\ :-\

Not on all cars. However I have wired mine up to the easiest wiring loom I could think of, My car CD Player power loom so that they come on with the ignition and go off with the ignition.  Only thing is they probably wont pass an mot as they are not E marked as mine are cheapies from HK.

But as things were going smoothly for me and my Omega, the Frontera blew both the master and slave cylinder and the flexi pipe at the front of my Omega is knackered so my Omega is very very loud and quite thirsty at the moment.

So .. if they are bright enough to be effective during the day .. they will BLIND everyone coming towards you at night.

That is why they are DESIGNED to turn OFF when the normal car lights are put on.

and why, IMHO,  DIY light fitting should be illegal .... you have modified your car to look "pretty" in your eyes,  to the danger of all other road users.

bloody stupid.   :(

Audi's don't turn off with main lights on. And they don't blind anyone, neither do mine as ALL DRL's are the same brightness or slightly darker than the dipped headlights and mine haven't been fitted for looks but for safety!

At the end of the day mate, it's your baby and you do as you please to it and as long as it's not breaking the law or dangerous, carry on!

I think it looks good :y
AKA - Mr Bracket

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 October 2011, 11:44:42 »

I thought running lights went off when main light were on..... :-\ :-\ :-\

Not on all cars. However I have wired mine up to the easiest wiring loom I could think of, My car CD Player power loom so that they come on with the ignition and go off with the ignition.  Only thing is they probably wont pass an mot as they are not E marked as mine are cheapies from HK.

But as things were going smoothly for me and my Omega, the Frontera blew both the master and slave cylinder and the flexi pipe at the front of my Omega is knackered so my Omega is very very loud and quite thirsty at the moment.

So .. if they are bright enough to be effective during the day .. they will BLIND everyone coming towards you at night.

That is why they are DESIGNED to turn OFF when the normal car lights are put on.

and why, IMHO,  DIY light fitting should be illegal .... you have modified your car to look "pretty" in your eyes,  to the danger of all other road users.

bloody stupid.   :(

Audi's don't turn off with main lights on. And they don't blind anyone, neither do mine as ALL DRL's are the same brightness or slightly darker than the dipped headlights and mine haven't been fitted for looks but for safety!

Lets make things simple for you to understand, as you clearly need it.

Daytime Running Lights

Thats Daytime Running Lights

See those first 3 letters? Day

You do not use them at night you idiot. You will be blinding everyone in front of you. Simple. Fact.

Taken from Regulations regarding DLR:

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS REGULATIONS
New cars must be fitted with DRLs to comply with the daytime running lights law. However, many drivers have been fitting them to older cars to take advantage of their benefits. If you're going to do this, follow these simple guidelines:

Make sure the lights comply with safety standards - the Ring Daytime Running Lights sold at Halfords are marked ECE R87 so you can be sure they're street legal

Only use your DRLs during the day - they will dazzle other drivers at night

Most DRLs automatically switch off when headlights are turned on. If yours don't, make sure you manually switch them off when it gets dark

I'll echo the above, you being dangerous & very stupid  >:(

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 October 2011, 13:17:08 »

You do not use them at night you idiot.

whether he's right, wrong or very wrong i don't think there's any need for patronising him
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 October 2011, 13:26:25 »

Whilst might not share each other's views and tastes, let's not descend into personal insults, please. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 October 2011, 16:50:43 »

why on earth would you power Day Time Running Lights from the cd player...and Day Time Running Lights are not to be used of a night...but then mr plod will tell you that when he impounds the car as it is a danger to other road users
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 October 2011, 17:47:58 »

You do not use them at night you idiot.

whether he's right, wrong or very wrong i don't think there's any need for patronising him

I agree,That was a bit OTT from Tunnie.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 October 2011, 18:49:03 »

well if it was or was'nt thats not the issue...there are enough nerderwells on the road without adding to them with someone misusing Daytime Running Lights...the clue REALLY is in the title :y

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 October 2011, 20:06:05 »

DLRs should not be used at night. We've all seen how dazzling they can be during the day when properly fitted by the manufacturer, so DIY'd, unaimed/unmanaged at night is wrong for very good reasons.

TBH, I struggle with the concept of them, obviously the EU thinks we are all too stupid to turn dipped lights on if visibility is poor.  My solution, shoot the drivers lacking the brain capacity, reduce the amount of stupidity in the gene pool.

I *REALLY* struggle with the DIY ones - surely even the most chavastic dreggs of society must realise they look abysmal  :-\
Grumpy old man

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 October 2011, 20:35:24 »

one would assume so....but then again ???.. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 October 2011, 21:32:19 »

It's the DRLs on the latest shitroens that I can't understand. Surly any tinker can see they look hideous. Yet people still buy them. Guess they must be really cheap. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 October 2011, 22:46:28 »

If we go back many years to Volvo having running lights, they are bright during the day but dim, at night, when the car lights are put on, aftermarket ones are usually not fitted / wired correctly so do not do this hence why they will dazzle oncoming drivers at night.... :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 October 2011, 22:51:54 »

Audi DRLs dim when headlights are on, and even when the indicators are activated. All designed for those who delight in the lifting of other bloke's shirt flaps, IMHO, but there we are...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 October 2011, 08:36:21 »

DLRs should not be used at night. We've all seen how dazzling they can be during the day when properly fitted by the manufacturer, so DIY'd, unaimed/unmanaged at night is wrong for very good reasons.

TBH, I struggle with the concept of them, obviously the EU thinks we are all too stupid to turn dipped lights on if visibility is poor.  My solution, shoot the drivers lacking the brain capacity, reduce the amount of stupidity in the gene pool.

I *REALLY* struggle with the DIY ones - surely even the most chavastic dreggs of society must realise they look abysmal  :-\

On cars I do, I do however seen them quite effective on motorbikes, maybe due to the height.

Think its the Ducati Multistrada?  :-\ The DLR's are built into the mirrors, so the light is considerably higher, really makes bike stand out.

Can see them here:

They look awful, but really did make the bike stand out during the day.

Can't see point in them fitted to cars....

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 October 2011, 08:48:06 »

... obviously the EU thinks we are all too stupid to turn dipped lights on if visibility is poor.  My solution, shoot the drivers lacking the brain capacity, reduce the amount of stupidity in the gene pool.

I start work at 8am so it's dark as I set off & is almost daylight by the time I get there. It never fails to amaze me the number of drivers with NO lights at all on their car, presumably under the impression that if they can see, they can also be seen! So the EU is correct in their assumption for many many of drivers.  ???

car-nut

• Intermediate Member
  • Kent Border, East Sussex
  • Me & My Motors are Truly 1 off's
    • Custom Mondeo TDCi Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 October 2011, 21:03:36 »

I haven't bothered to reply to the insults above as I read what was being written and wanted to get some proffesional MOT tester advice and Local police advice as well as taking my baby down to the VOSA centre in Hastings.

This is what I got told:

MOT man:

They are perfectly road legal and will pass an mot as the car is registered before March 2001.

Traffic Police:

Perfectly legal day and night and in there opinion do not cause any dazzling issues to oncoming drivers un like the fog lights if they were miss used. Luckily I do not miss use my fogs.

VOSA:

Because they are white and not too bright there are no legality issues on the road and I can not be fined or done in any way at all.

The DRL's I have fitted don't dazzle in the slightest. In sun light you can't really see they are on unless you look close but in dull weather they are brighter than sidelights but not any where near as bright as headlights.

DRL's don't change there brightness from factory fitting at all, This I checked with Citroen which is 2 doors up from me and Audi near my mum's. They may appear to change brightness to the un trained eye but this is just down to the brightness of the dipped beam lights and dependant on the level of natural light.

So in effect DRL's never known as DLR's!!! Have technically been named incorrectly as they are just purely safety lights.

In my experience since I have had them fitted, My car has been noticed more, especially from where I have to pull out into oncoming traffic to get off of my property and I have had less idiots swerving round me last minute at speed and more people slowing down and taking care to go round me safely or letting me out.

I am not going to sit here and type lots of insults as I am simply not that pathetic, but appreciate before anyone tries to put legal facts down that they should get the information correct first, As I have done.  :P

And the reason it is wired to the CD Player power loom is because it was easier to get to than the cigarette lighter loom that I was going to use and the only thing I knew would power down when the ignition is switched off and would power up when the ignition is switched on.

THE END!!!

I don't know why a certain few people get there knickers in a twist with in accurate information and find it really irritating that when they are proved to be in the wrong that they go for personal insults.

My threads are in NO WAY put on here to create these situations, so if you have nothing nice to say or nothing constructive to say. Then dangle berries to you!

NO NEED TO EDIT ADMIN as I used your replacement words instead  ;D

And no matter what nasty things are put on here, it will not stop me doing what I want to my car.  I only come asking for advice and help on how to do things, or find them. And if someone says to me it's not a good idea as it really will affect whatever on the car in a bad way then I wont do it.

But listen to this. And I hope this annoys those who hate me and my car. I am fitting DARK TINT FILM to the rear lights of my car which I have already checked the brightness for safety and have been told they are bright enough for the road even with sunlight on them legally.
So if you hit me up the back end in an accident I will simply tell you to go and get your eyes tested.

Have a nice evening everyone.

All the best.  :y :y :y
Me & My Motors are Truly 1 off's
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.