Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor taste!  (Read 6624 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Poor taste!
« Reply #30 on: 01 April 2012, 23:56:44 »

As I said on the other thread:

"In fairness, I think a great number of people are unaware that it is the petroleum fumes that are so combustible. Many wrongly believe it is the liquid itself that is flammable and that provided the liquid does not come into contact with a flame, they will therefore be OK."

Talk of Darwinism is plain daft, IMHO. This poor woman (and my view is hardening on this, the more I read such contemptuous comments) was clearly unaware of the danger of fumes. That she had never been taught is not necessarily her fault, though doubtless there are some on here that would say it is.  >:(

Unaware.. Not a defence, IMHO.

We're all unaware of any number of things. The sensible leave them well alone for someone who is aware to worry about.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone in this day and age that there are dangers with petrol. If you're unaware of the specific nature of the dangers and how they might be mitigated, why wouldn't you leave it alone?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nickbat

« Reply #31 on: 02 April 2012, 00:02:39 »

"In fairness, I think a great number of people are unaware that it is the petroleum fumes that are so combustible. Many wrongly believe it is the liquid itself that is flammable and that provided the liquid does not come into contact with a flame, they will therefore be OK."

Talk of Darwinism is plain daft, IMHO. This poor woman (and my view is hardening on this, the more I read such contemptuous comments) was clearly unaware of the danger of fumes. That she had never been taught is not necessarily her fault, though doubtless there are some on here that would say it is.  >:(

We're all unaware of any number of things. The sensible leave them well alone for someone who is aware to worry about.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone in this day and age that there are dangers with petrol. If you're unaware of the specific nature of the dangers and how they might be mitigated, why wouldn't you leave it alone?

If you are unaware, then you wouldn't know that it was right to leave it alone, would you?  ;)

Andys VXR

• cambridgeshire
    • 3.2 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 April 2012, 00:04:19 »

It sounds like a lot of people on here have never taken risks or made mistakes or never breaked with things they shouldnt have or is it that there mistakes are not on the news so everyone can call them names and take the p**s

Andys VXR

• cambridgeshire
    • 3.2 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 April 2012, 00:07:54 »

If you are unaware, then you wouldn't know that it was right to leave it alone, would you?  ;)
Agreed

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 April 2012, 00:08:00 »

.. but wouldn't even instinct tell you "I'd better not mess with this. I haven't got a clue what I'm doing."?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 April 2012, 00:08:49 »

It sounds like a lot of people on here have never taken risks or made mistakes or never breaked with things they shouldnt have or is it that there mistakes are not on the news so everyone can call them names and take the p**s
I've made numrous mistakes.  With some, I carry the scars, others I carry the experience not to do the same again.  Some  I deem most lucky to have avoided.

The woman who decanted the petrol within sniffing distance of a naked flame?  She has learned a - painfull - lesson and others who contemplated the deed have learned the same lesson without risk of fire or pain.

Not taking the piss by any manner of means.  Stating facts, blunt though they may be.....   :y

Andys VXR

• cambridgeshire
    • 3.2 Special
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 April 2012, 00:14:05 »

.. but wouldn't even instinct tell you "I'd better not mess with this. I haven't got a clue what I'm doing."?
Yes it should but does your instinct always kick in.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 April 2012, 00:18:57 »

Don't approved petrol containers have to bear the words "inflammable, heavy vapour"?
Which might be a clue that decanting petrol near an open flame is a bad idea.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 April 2012, 00:52:21 »

what did i miss  ??? ??? ???

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 April 2012, 04:02:33 »

During my apprenticeship. In week 1, introduction week, we had all day, everyday, health and safety lectures. We were told it was a tedious week, but if we took on board the health and safety message we would have a happy and safe life and career.

My safety lessons had actually started well before this, my great school woodwork craftsman / teacher had already taught me a sharp blade, knife / chisel can never cut you if your hands are BEHIND the blade. A lesson I always observe to this day, which makes me a bit slow and cack-handed when cutting veg. etc.

What did my introduction week teach me.
1. Personal responsibly for safety - Don't do anything without making an intelligent assessment on safety issues.

2. Safety of others. Make sure not only what you do is safe, but is also providing a safe environment for those around you.

Now, I have every sympathies for this unfortunate woman and also the tremendous guilt and suffering her daughter must be going though. IMHO personal events like this that have tragically happened, do not absolve the person from their personal responsibility to be safe and to be safe to those around you.

If you don't understand the substance what you are working with, then refrain, or look it up on the fregin Internet, that is what it is there for.

A good example of this was the post a few weeks a go on that unfortunate bloke welding a diesel tank and and the poisonous gas, that has completely destroyed his life. He had the decency to inform others of his unfortunate situation.

My next door neighbour had asked me to repair an oven seal for them, before I would do this. I Googled possible glues and their effects / fumes at high temperatures. Next door neighbour repaired it himself, the same person that drove with Merc in winter mode all the time until gearbox complained, and went into limp mode and I had to sort out and his granddad was helmsman on the Titanic  :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: 02 April 2012, 04:04:39 by Rods2 »
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

05omegav6

« Reply #40 on: 03 April 2012, 02:55:14 »

IIRC there was an incident during the blockades when someone had a very lucky escape whilst using a hoover to decant fuel from one car to use in another :o fortunately they were outside so no lasting damage, but even so, a lesson if ever there was... :-\

We've all done some ridiculously stupid things in our time, hopefully we've each learnt something along the way   :-\ Unfortunately this woman and her family are paying a painful price for not appreciating the implications of what she was doing. We can only hope that her injuries serve as a lesson to others, thereby preventing such incidents from happening in the future :-\ I fear that might be a touch optimistic...

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03 April 2012, 03:49:12 »

terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tired  ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #42 on: 03 April 2012, 04:04:33 »

Best go back to bed then :P

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03 April 2012, 21:05:04 »

It was a silly thing to do but her injuries were awful & i sympathise with her & her loved ones. It's a pretty awful thing to happen to anyone.

Regarding the "dodgy humour" it's traditonally the british way to laugh things off & make fun of bad situations even if we care really. Not meant in bad taste but more of a coping mechanism. We've always been like that. No offence meant, Guy.
Curry makes the world go round!

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
  • pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 06 April 2012, 12:43:34 »

IIRC there was an incident during the blockades when someone had a very lucky escape whilst using a hoover to decant fuel from one car to use in another :o fortunately they were outside so no lasting damage, but even so, a lesson if ever there was... :-\

We've all done some ridiculously stupid things in our time, hopefully we've each learnt something along the way   :-\ Unfortunately this woman and her family are paying a painful price for not appreciating the implications of what she was doing. We can only hope that her injuries serve as a lesson to others, thereby preventing such incidents from happening in the future :-\ I fear that might be a touch optimistic...

Really? A hoover????

ffs- that makes the woman at the source of all this seem almost clever
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.