Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Energy Prices....  (Read 6700 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Energy Prices....
« Reply #15 on: 30 August 2021, 17:04:01 »

.... Have gone up!  :(

My current deal with EON is about to expire so I'm casting about for a new deal, but it turns out that the best deal is the new tariff offered by EON.  :-\

Current Deal:

Gas 2.792p pKwh  Standing Charge 9.450p per day.  Elec. 16.976p pKwh  Standing Charge 9.450p per day.

New Deal:

Gas 3.99p pKwh   Standing Charge 19.27p per day.   Elec. 20.74p pKwh    Standing Charge 18.81p per day.

Looks like I'll have to stick another jumper on this winter.  ::)  :-\

I've just re-quoted with Avro Energy.

Current (variable) rate is Electric 24.1p/day+18.8p/KWh, Gas 26.51p/day + 3.41p/KWh
1 Year Fix is  Electric 17.85p/day+19.661p/KWh, Gas 17.85p/day+3.491p/KWh

According to the Meercats Avro is the cheapest fix in my area? There are a couple of cheaper variable deals (Ebico, Peoples and Igloo), but no guarantee the variable won't change (obvs) and it's only a few quid a month cheaper so frankly CBA.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 August 2021, 18:06:42 »

My KWh is cheaper than both gas and electric figures you have quoted, with OctopusEnergy. But my standing charge is more expensive.
Living in a stone fronted house that cannot be insulated, it costs me £1800 pa, or £150 a month, so I need it to be the cheapest available.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2021, 18:08:18 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 August 2021, 19:36:25 »

Yeah, it does seem like a scam having to trade off standing charges versus cost per KWh. The network to supply the energy is basically the same between different suppliers (I mean it's the same gas pipes and electricity wires) so the only difference in the standing charges should be down to the efficiency of the various companies' internal processes.

In Sir Tiggers EON case, doubling the standing charge...hmmmm. Smells like they couldn't increase the cost per KWh, so they're gouging the standing charges instead.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2021, 19:40:30 by LC0112G »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 August 2021, 08:04:28 »

My KWh is cheaper than both gas and electric figures you have quoted, with OctopusEnergy. But my standing charge is more expensive.
Living in a stone fronted house that cannot be insulated, it costs me £1800 pa, or £150 a month, so I need it to be the cheapest available.

I had a problem heating the living room in my ‘70’s house despite cavity wall insulation (not convinced that helped), so I insulated the outward facing internal wall with insulated plasterboard on battens. This worked brilliantly, and once fitted we didn’t notice the lost inch or so on the internal wall.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2021, 10:57:22 »

I had a problem heating the living room in my ‘70’s house despite cavity wall insulation (not convinced that helped), so I insulated the outward facing internal wall with insulated plasterboard on battens. This worked brilliantly, and once fitted we didn’t notice the lost inch or so on the internal wall.
I've considered all kinds of remedies, Chris, the problem with that particular solution is that I'd have to remove the picture rail and the 1-1.5" I'd lose would bring the wall forward of the bottom of the cornice. The house is end of terrace and none of the side and rear brick walls have a cavity. Then there's the attic bedroom, baking hot in the summer (ceiling is like a radiator) and steals all the heat from downstairs in the winter.
In fact, the problem is it was built around 1920 and is a fickin money pit  ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 August 2021, 11:09:15 »

Dad had his 70's bungalow in Orkney insulated externally.

The only clue being that the new surface was rendered instead of bare brick.
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 August 2021, 11:57:00 »

I've considered all kinds of remedies, Chris, the problem with that particular solution is that I'd have to remove the picture rail and the 1-1.5" I'd lose would bring the wall forward of the bottom of the cornice. The house is end of terrace and none of the side and rear brick walls have a cavity. Then there's the attic bedroom, baking hot in the summer (ceiling is like a radiator) and steals all the heat from downstairs in the winter.

You can get some really cheap infra red cameras nowadays. Might be worth getting one, and then in mid winter venture out and point it at all 3 sides of the house. Anything glowing 'white' is where the heat is escaping from, and gives you a clue as to what is worth attempting and what isn't. If it's windows, doors, roof, chimney then pretty sure there are things that can be done. If its walls then it sounds like you're stuffed.

Down our road you can tell who has got proper loft/roof insulation by how quickly the frost/snow melts off the roofs.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 August 2021, 12:47:25 »

I've only got loft insulation in the eaves, the main part of the bedroom (original build, not a conversion), and the en-suite, has no more than plaster and slate between my son and the elements.
I haven't got a pic of it, but this was it before we moved in:

The en-suite wasn't there then but is now off camera to the right.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2021, 12:49:07 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 August 2021, 13:06:16 »

Great space for a youngster.  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 August 2021, 13:22:00 »

You can get some really cheap infra red cameras nowadays. Might be worth getting one, and then in mid winter venture out and point it at all 3 sides of the house. Anything glowing 'white' is where the heat is escaping from, and gives you a clue as to what is worth attempting and what isn't. If it's windows, doors, roof, chimney then pretty sure there are things that can be done. If its walls then it sounds like you're stuffed.

Down our road you can tell who is growing weed in the attic by how quickly the frost/snow melts off the roofs.

Fixed that for you Malc!   ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31 August 2021, 16:18:35 »

Wish I'd claimed it, Ronny, it's quiet up there. No Emmerdale or Corrie or shite like that, and I could stay up late without being told off.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31 August 2021, 17:34:38 »

Wow! I would lie awake worrying at that cost. My house, although poorly built, 5 bed detached, triple glazed and cavity walled, currently costs £67 per month gas and electric. About 12" insulation in the roof. Nice and toasty at 24' in the evening, but I'm always looking to reduce the cost. I rarely use the conservatory heating, underfloor electric and radiators, as we don't use it in the winter. Fortunately I won't be around by the time they ban gas heating, as by all accounts, heat pumps are not very good.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31 August 2021, 20:43:18 »

Wish I'd claimed it, Ronny, it's quiet up there. No Emmerdale or Corrie or shite like that, and I could stay up late without being told off.  ;D
Nah, would be too cold for you up there. You have to keep comfy and warm at your age. :P ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 September 2021, 16:05:27 »

...and Avro energy have just gone pop. I think that whoever picks up the pieces is bound by my existing deal, so no problems for a year ::). If not, I guess I'll just have to freeze this winter  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 September 2021, 16:30:44 »

...and Avro energy have just gone pop. I think that whoever picks up the pieces is bound by my existing deal, so no problems for a year ::). If not, I guess I'll just have to freeze this winter  :D
No, they are not bound to your existing deal. Plus you can't switch until your newly appointed provider has set you up, which will be after the price cap increases.

Waiting to see what my new British Gas "competitive" tarrif will be :(, but they have confirmed no exit fees should I wish to move.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.